• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Went this morning to visit my head.......

G

Went early this morning to the machinist to check on my head which he is reworking. It looks great. He media blasted all the paint off and magnafluxed. Said there are no flaws and found no warpage. Commented that whoever did my port and polishing did it like a pro (said he had never seen one that purty). Worked the valves to perfect seating, getting the springs to correct tension. Opened all the oil passages. Found two of the Teflon valve seals were shot, replacing them all (boy, those lasted all of 5000 miles!) Will get it back next week so I can paint it.

I have a can of POR15 black coating. Can I use this with a brush and paint all the non-mating surfaces of the head or should I just use regular black paint?

tomshobby

Yoda
Bill, I am afraid to ask where you got the valve seals. Another forum member and I were talking on the phone and found we both had some concerns, I think, about that source.

Shirley and I put over 5,000 miles on our 6 after mid July last summer. The way your experience sounds we may be ready for a cam and lifters also a new set of valve stem seals. Almost like changing oil or a tune up.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
You won't be unhappy with the POR15.

I am very unhappy about this development.....

PeterK

Yoda
Don't you have to top coat the POR15 to protect it from UV or is their engine paint a one coat process.

.. nevermind, I just read it on their website. Top coat is for the POR15 Rust Preventive paint.

OP
R

RonMacPherson

Were they Perfect Circle seals?

I've never had ANY problem with Perfect Circle seals. If I remember right, single spring can use the seals that fit a Pinto sohc 1600 engine. dual valve springs require a guide trim and am not sure, but VW rabbit pops into my head for the seals. A good machinist should be able to reference guide and seal book and obtain the proper seals.

Are you using Silicone Bronze for the guides?

OP
G

PeterK said:
Don't you have to top coat the POR15 to protect it from UV or is their engine paint a one coat process.

.. nevermind, I just read it on their website. Top coat is for the POR15 Rust Preventive paint.

Oops, that is what I have. Forgot that it is UV sensitive. Will just go with regular engine paint or whatever I can find.

OP
G

Guess I am tired of talking to people about my problem. I will go ahead and re-set it up (when I get the parts in) and prolly put the oil line back on (I have plenty of oil pressure <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> the oil separator) and just let her rip. I will plastigauge whatever bearings I can get to before the pan goes back on. This, all, while laying on my back looking up. Nope, the engine/tranny is not coming out again. I have some real nice Deves ss rings, hope they can be reused. I had plenty of compression before all this happened so the rings should still be good.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The POR15 will work fine on the engine unless you drive around without a bonnet. I painted an engine with the black and never had a problem.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Oh, THAT kind of head...

I thought you were going to talk about the book you were reading while having a "personal moment". :laugh:

Sorry, somebody had to say it. :rolleyes:

Steve

71 MKIV "Jehu"

rotation, plus excitation, equals electricity

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
So just how many of us are former Navy?

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
Squids. Go figure - they have a different name for everything :smile:

US Army Security Agency, 1971-1978.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

Gordo

Jedi Hopeful
I'm retired Navy. 1976-1996. I'm still waiting for my paper work that says I'm done since I hit 30 years 2 years ago. Was an AM(H)CS. For you non-Navy types, that is a Aviation Structural Mechanic (Hydraulics) Senior Chief (E8). Did not feel like sticking around for E9. Got tired of ships and ladders.

Gordo