• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dang! Starter went out!

Country flag
First, call local parts house and see if they can get you one (usually they can have it the next day).
Second, test the starter to be sure it is the problem.
Third open it and see if it is just a loose connection that can be fixed.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Ben

I always start to make sure that it is not stuck engaged, then that there is smoke in the wires leading to it and a proper ground for the smoke.

Pat

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Confirm the diagnosis with jumper cables direct between the battery posts and the starter. Often "dead" starters are actually "dead" grounds. If the cables elicit no sound or smoke, carry on with rebuild/replacement.

Glen Byrns

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Starter is the same as a 63 duster I think.

Have you tried freeing the starter gear with a smallish cressent wrench, is a square peiece of the shaft sticking out the front of the starter just for that.

bugimike

Yoda
I agree with Jack! Also a simple matter to just pull it and bench-test it with a couple of jumpers off the battery!

OP
B

BWillis

Jedi Knight
Well, turning the little bolt on the back worked. I've never had that happen on the midget.

And to think I was headed out to the other midget that I have stashed away in another storage building to pillage the starter!

Thanks to all, again!

Ulf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Ben, there are generally two kinds of LBC owners: Those that have had that happen, and those that will. [/QUOTE]

Brrr... I don't want all this to happen... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cowboy.gif

no_cones_ever

well, if you have the "problem" that we did(1380 joe huffaker motor) your little sprite starter might not cut it...or if you just want a little more power...Isuzu Starter #16878- you can pick it up for about $65.00 @ autozone...

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
That's why sitting on the package shelf is always a small crescent wrench of the correct size for just that purpose. This has happened to Bugsy twice that I can recall in the last 5 years of driving him. 5 Minutes later after I learned the trick back on the road again.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You can also rock the car in gear a bit both forward and back. Clears it up as well.

bugimike

Yoda
I believe that wrench is either a 5/16" or 11/32" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Six inch cressent is the tool of choice, heck maybe even a three inch one, have not tried that.

The Isuzu starter on most Spridget chassis will hit up against the passenger footbox, so people give the footbox a good smack with a hammer to clearence for the Isuzu starter, if you don't want to dent your footbox for a modern starter, call me I'll get you a modern starter that will fit your Spridget properly. Ben if you need a starter for Euro show, I've got a gear reduction starter you can borrow until you get a replacment.

OP
B

BWillis

Jedi Knight
I think that this starter is on its way out. Although turning the shaft got it going this time Ive noticed that as I crank the engine a few times the starter begins slowing down. Battery voltage is strong.

I think that it will be fine for the show. I'll probably get it rebuilt sometime in the near future.

Thanks for the offer, Hap! See you there.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do not rebuild starter, rebuilt ones are cheep. Less than $50 at the local parts house.

GreenHornet

Jedi Trainee
I changed mine out with a Nippondenso unit. Believe it is from a Honda Odyssey. I got it off EBay and the seller had a nice bracket that allows you just to bolt it on and enjoy easy starting. With no permanant changes to yer car.

abe

Freshman Member
i read somewhere on this forum or on the web that the isuzu trooper II starter for 2.4 liter engine with frame number 17155 is the one to buy because it's small enough for clearance. I found this when i found out that my old starter was burned out and not worth fixing. I have several questions:
1. will this work on an austin healey bugeye 948cc engine?

2. the slimmer model is different (i saw pics) and it looks like bendix is longer so will it hit anything in the bell?

3. will there be any need to install a spacer so that the gear at the bendix reaches and doesn't pass the flywheel?

4. will this work on a positive ground car? will it work on only negative ground? assuming that isuzu troopers are negative ground. In other words will a change in polarity cause the starter to crank backwards?

any please advise.. pm me if necessary. thanks
abe

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No clue on anything but polarity, no prob there.