• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Very happy to see these inner fenders

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I got a two shots from the body shop today from when he removed the front fenders. He was amazed that every bolt turned right out without needing heat or breaking and that there was no rust inside these areas.

Some dust and dirt, but no rust. A scrub down and two coats of POR15 and it will be sealed back up for eternity.

That's after the drain hoses are routed down and out of the bottom properly.

Attachments

• 12817.jpg
    12817.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 531
  • 12818.jpg
    12818.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 528

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
POR 15 needs rust to adhere to. Actually it cures to rust. If it is applied to paint, primer or just bare steel it wont stick. You would be best to use an epoxy sealer primer and a top coat of any type of automotive paint.

Nice inners. Hope mine are the same shape whem my 6's fender come off.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I'm not so sure about that. When we stripped my frame to bare metal, then prepped it with the POR15 wash and sealer, there was no rust on the metal and it's as hard as a rock on there now.

Actually, when I called them directly to ask about the bottom of the floor pans, which have the same red primer as this, they said as long as we did their prep steps, it would adhere. And it does, trust me on that one.

Look at the prep and results here: https://www.74tr6.com/framestripping.htm

And good luck with yours. I hate to see hidden rust in difficult areas to repair.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul, is that the antenna "tube" in the top photo?

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Yes Kevin. The Austin Powers Secret Agent version that goes way down into the tube to be at fender top level so you don't keep catching your sleeve on it while you're working on the car.

The tricky part will be the new Vitaloni Baby Turbo mirrors and painting the housings on them to match the body color. I'm going to keep the flexible portion and bases black, but the housing that the glass fits in will be yellow.

It will be nice to have two fully functional mirrors on the car that actually provide vision of what's behind me and can be adjusted while sitting the car without a Phillips screwdriver.

Tom74TR6

Paul,
You are correct on the POR15. I have applied it over brand new metal and prepped older painted areas. It dries as hard as a rock.
Tom C

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Very interesting. I was thinking about that last night. It's definitely not high water, because the car has never been in a flood and I used to be able to see a small gap on each side from the door pillar area (note the overspray), so water would have leaked out.

Oddly enough, it's on both sides at the same height. I'll get a better idea when I get to the body shop.

The rubber seal shown on the right side looks like it was contacting the fender in the upper portion, but not below. That's another reason that the water would have leaked out. Maybe a line from tire spray coming in when driving in the rain? Probably not, far too even to be that.

Oh well, nothing to worry about at this time.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
TD,

I spoke to Alan about it and I think that we're going to run them down through the rocker panels, with a grommet around the hole and plenty of POR15 to make sure no rusting starts in that area.

There must have been a rubber hose shortage in England when they designed this ridiculous draining system.

Tom74TR6

Paul,
You can have the tube exit the front fender splash shields and spare yourself drilling into the rockers. Just put a 90* elbow on the outside and let the water drain behind the front wheel.
Tom C

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Yes, I see. I could get a 90 brass elbow and install it in the shield and let it drain down and out.

Good point!

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hmmmm, yup, a slight design flaw in that drain pipe, I'd say.
Suppose mine looks the same. I guess I'll have to save that project
for another time.

You didn't crash your car, did you, Paul? I've been out of the loop and
just getting back in the saddle. Family and work have put the car on the
back burner. Nearly slept with my hood, recently, though.

G

Design flaw? :lol:

Isn't that the original 1974 inner fender and rocker?

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
2Wrench,

I didn't crash my car, but was sitting stopped at an intersection where someone else caused a crash and mine became a part of that mess.

Strikle,

Yes, those are the original inner fenders and rockers of a 1974 TR6. But that is a 1974 TR6 that has never been out in the salt or snow. Those that have did get a LOT of rust in those areas. Heck, even some that didn't got a lot of rust in there.

And it is a BAD design to drain water into a primer only painted area.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
They also drain the water that collects in the channel between the hood and cowl into the fender area.

No fix that I am aware of for that.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul's gonna make some good stuff happen, then show us how he did it.

I think my car has been rather babied by previous owners as I've been
lucky not to see to much in the way of rust. I've been hearing of rust
whoas since owning my 6.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Here is a shot of a '73 California car. Same color change and never under water.

(click to enlarge)