• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Turn signal and overdrive switch are reversed

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
I am trying to figure out what the simplest fix is for this problem. My turn signal switch is on the right side of the steering wheel, my overdrive switch is on the left. Everything functions fine, it is just backwards. It appears that the column is installed 180 degrees out. Is there a fix for this that doesn't include removing the column from the car? Any help is appreciated!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
It's been awhile since I messed with it -- but can't the 2-piece nacelle be installed either way?

If so, the solution may be as simple as rotating it 180° moving the switches and rearranging the wires.

I recall the OD switch has a D shaped mounting hole - but do not recall whether the turn signal switch hole differs. If the holes are the same perhaps the answer is even simpler.

OP
thechileman

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Geo, I have removed the 2 piece Nacelle, and the problem I see is the "bump" on the inner steering rod that cancels the turn signals is currently on the right side. I was thinking it would need to be on the left side for the indicators to cancel. Is my thinking correct??

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Wellsir, the good news (I think) is that it all comes apart very easily.

The steering wheel & column are held in place by that clamp (in the engine bay) with the set screw and jam nut. I usually just remove the two bolts that hold the halves of the clamp together, then the whole works (wheel and column) can be pulled out of the car from the drivers seat.

The outer column is held in brackets/clamps (the ones with felt pads) which I think you can loosen to rotate the column.

The column wiring cover (aka Dagger) will need to be loosened as it will need to retain its 6:00 position as the outer column is rotated.

Just visualizing I cannot tell how much else has to be undone to allow the turn signal switch to end up on the other side -- i.e. I cannot tell if the wires from the switch will need to be disconnected and reconnected. If so and depending on where those bullets are, it may be necessary to mess a bit more with the dagger.

Not an onerous task but (as we say in my hiking group) 'make no other afternoon plans'.

OP
thechileman

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Geo... Ill take another look at it this week. Sounds doable in an afternoon.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
To get the cancellation clip on the right side, I think that in addition to moving the switches to the correct sides (which should be a simple remove and reinstall) that you'll have to at least pull the steering wheel, disconnect the inner column from the upper joint and rotate 180 degrees. That's assuming your turn signal cancellation is working properly today.

Scott

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
... disconnect the inner column from the upper joint and rotate 180 degrees. That's assuming your turn signal cancellation is working properly today...

And here I thought Chris would enjoy driving with the steering wheel upside down.

Yeah, I see you're right -- the clamp only works in one position so the column has to be relocated. Not a big deal but some fiddly bits to be sure are right (ground connections and safety wires).

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Aloha c-man,

Look carefully at that turn signal cancellation "bump". It should be a spring-steel clip that snaps onto the column...albeit with some difficulty. Look opposite the 'bump' for a split; you can spring it open and pop it off the column and refit the other way. There should be two 'pips' in the clip that hold it in place. I'm going off memory of my long-ago TR4, but I think the TR6 is the same way. I have one of them somewhere, but would have to dig it out of a box. Also, early TR4s used a turn signal switch with a single canceling 'finger'; later TRs through the 6 use the more common switch with two 'fingers' and a 1-bump clip on the column. Should be no need to pull the wheel unless you want the signal cancellation function and steering wheel to all be centered.

Jeff
59 TR3A & 63 TR4 (in mainland storage):sorrow:

OP
thechileman

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will probably start with the simplest, (Tropics suggestion), and work from there. I can't wait to get to it this week!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My TR6 signal has stopped cancelling. Works on a left turn once in a great while. I have to remember to self-cancel so I don't become another old geezer driving down the highway with his turn signal on.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Just thinking about this and seems to me you can't pull the upper inner column and flip it 180 degrees; the "flat" part at the bottom has to match up with the cutout in the lower column where the adjusting clamp fits. However, it might be easier to pull the upper inner column complete with the wheel in order to flip the canceling clip 180 degrees!

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Just thinking about this and seems to me you can't pull the upper inner column and flip it 180 degrees; the "flat" part at the bottom has to match up with the cutout in the lower column where the adjusting clamp fits. However, it might be easier to pull the upper inner column complete with the wheel in order to flip the canceling clip 180 degrees!

Andy,

I was recommending disconnecting the inner column at the joint because of this (rubber joint) and not the clamp. I don't think you'd have to pull the inner column - just rotate in place and then reattach (but pulling the steering wheel and reattaching so it's not upside down).

Jeff's suggestion on removing the clip and reinstalling on the other side might be easier though.

Scott

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I don't think you can just flip the column. The two switches are different. The overdrive is a 2 position switch and the indicator is a 3 position one. They both have an upwards bend in the stalk. So if you flip the column both will droop downwards. I had the same problem in reverse, converting a left hand drive car to right hand drive. You will have to buy 2 new switches. Also, the wiring in the top of the column is very tight and it is easy to cause a short if you do not run the wiring carefully. I would not be twisting them!

Good luck.