• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3a back seat

Tcraftdriver

Hi All,
Is it possible to convert a 1959 TR3a without the back seat option to the same back seat a 1960TR3a has or somthing very similar?

OP
T

Tcraftdriver

Marvin,

Thank you! That is a huge relief. Are the braces to support the sheet metal that creates the back seat? I found the basic sheet metal in the Moss catalog but did not see any info on the braces. What do you do about the curved area behind the driver and passenger seats? Does the seat pan for the back seat just fit over that or does the existing sheet metal have to be cut away and the new seat/shelf sheet metal welded in?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
See PM. Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Earlier TR3As (like my '59 TS47905) had a different shape to the rear (occasional) seat bottom compared to later cars. I believe the early ones were more curved across the front edge whereas the later had squarer corners.

The braces mentioned suppost the seat bottom which (on mine) is made of plywood and covered with foam and the upholstery (pretty simple). The seat back is a cobination of wood and sheet metal (the latter for the top portion that fits to the cowl capping.

A couple of pics in case they are of use:

Rear%20Seat.JPG

Rear%20Seat%20Back.JPG

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just for clarity, the seat back was fitted to TR3A even when the seat bottom was not supplied. It's just the rear panel for the passenger compartment.

And I believe Geo has added the 1x2 visible in his 2nd photo (which isn't a bad idea). At any rate, none of my TRs has had it. The metal panel also turned to molded hardboard at some point.

OP
T

Tcraftdriver

This is great news and thank you Geo for the two photos. They do indeed help a lot. I was so discouraged when I saw the curved back panel behind the seats I was about ready to relist the car. I do have to seat frames that fold that are in perfect mechanical condition but need reupholstering. SO, if it's possible to create a nice looking back seat that has the same elevation from the floor as the factory units, that will make my day.

PeterK

Yoda
I seriously doubt any average adult could fit in the rear area. Kids maybe, but not exactly a safe place for your kids or small friends to sit.

So IMO I wouldn't knock myself out trying to get a 4 seater from a 2. Just an upholstered plywood shelf (as original) would be my bet.

Funny thing: When we purchased our 3A, the PO had installed a brand new rear seat and brackets which I promptly removed in favor the the carpeted rear shelf for stowage.

(nope - sold it on ebay way back.)

Just my opinion - everyone is entitled.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I agree, the rear seat is almost useless -- only time mine sees use beyond being a package shelf is when a load of kids want to sit in the TR at car shows.

LittleAnthonys.jpg

At Randall noted, I did add that 1x2 to stiffen the Masonite back. I had to make a new seat bottom from plyowood and T-nuts. The old one was incorrect so I just used the upholstery as the pattern for the base and added foam.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tcraftdriver said:
I do have to seat frames that fold
FWIW, only the passenger side seat folded originally. The drivers side was solid.