• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Seat Track Colour Question

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Maybe a silly question but what is the colour of the seat tracks on a 60 TR3A? I assume that they were painted?

Just painting some small bits and was wondering....might as well try to make them correct if I can or care to...

Think that the answer might be in the TRA judging guidelines but my computer doesn't like to open some PDF's for some reason.

Cheers,
David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TRA guidelines describe them as "clear cadmium plated", which I assume is the same as natural color cadmium.

PSUTR3B

I replaced the seat tracks in the restoration process. As I recall the old ones were not painted and neither were the new ones. They were a natural metal grayish color. I am quite sure that I did not paint them before installing them. Though I don't change the seat position very often, the tracks do still slide fairly easily. I probably put a bit of grease on when I installed them. It was a 1962 but I suspect the tracks are the same.

Gary

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have both the gold cad and silver cad product from eastwood in the garage. Guess I will try the silver cad and see how it comes out. Will take some pics and post when I am done.

Cheers,
David

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update with some photos. Did some of the bits for the seat tracks with the Silver Cad from Eastwood. ( I still need to get the bottom tracks off the old floors that I took out of the car, they were rusted to the cage nuts solidly)

As they came off the car

P1080964.jpg

P1080965.jpg

After Media Blasting

P1080994.jpg

P1080996.jpg

After the Silver Cad.

P1090001.jpg

P1090002.jpg

P1090004.jpg

Not sure what they are supposed to look like...all I know is that they look alot better than they did....

Cheers,
David

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi John,

Thanks, just a couple of coats of self etching primer followed by three coats of the silver cad. I suppose you could clear coat them as well...

Cheers,
David

HerronScott

Darth Vader
David,

Look good to me as well. How do you think it compares to just silver paint and your typical cadmium-plated bolt? Maybe a better comparison would be with the seat rails in your TR6 assuming they haven't been painted.

Scott

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Scott,

Actually, pretty close to my 6 seat tracks...you can see some of the shine under the rear seat lock/keeper plate.

100_0693.jpg

My 6 had no carpet in it when I bought it.....seat tracks were painted when I did the resto on the 6.

Definately looks different from Silver or Aluminum paint. The silver cas has a bit of a blue tinge to it.....reflects the light a little differently.

Cheers,
David

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
David, Those look a whole lot more like they do now than they did.

Pretty!

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

Since we`re on "Seat Tracks"; Is that "Anywhere" or can "Anyone" tell me how to find a starting mounting point for my `57TR3 Buckets. I had bought some pretty nice, In-Expensive Floor Boards & the "Thru" holes to mount the "Seat Tracks" are`nt there.

If there is no definitive answer to this question; I guess I can simply lay the seat buckets in the cockpit, sit myself down & find the most comfortable location for myself.

Thanx in Advance,

Russ

PS: Hey David, I hope you taped off those studs before you painted!!

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Russ,

Here is what I do (seems to work for me) regarding the taping of thread and studs prior to painting. Once I clean the part down to get it ready for primer, before I shoot I paint the threads of the studs with a little bit of vasoline with a fine artist brush. Paint doesn`t stick to the vaseline so the nuts have no problem going back on.

If you need some measurements ( I assume that they are the same for a 57 and a 60) for your seat tracks, I can take some from the old floors that I removed.

Cheers,
David

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Russ, on the RH side, the seat floorpan track starts 3/8" back from the edge of the metal cover over the handbrake rubber boot.

Seem to recall the tracks run parallel to the tailshaft part of the tunnel - not the rockers which taper inwards towards the rear.

Regards,

Viv.

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Dave & Viv,

"Thanx" for the info.

"Dave"; Yes, If you have the time to take some measurments; That would be great. I too have to "Presume" the `60 & `57 would be the same or at least awful close.

Thanx Again,

Russ

PS: If you wish; You can email the dimensions etc to my myself at: toysrrus@att.net