• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Sidescreen Rebuild

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It's now time to install the hood. For the first time in a year and a half I finally took a close look at the sidescreens. After this whole rebuild...I'm ascared!

These things, like a lot about these cars, are much more complicated than they initially appeared. I've done a few searches, but have not turned anything up on rebuilding the sidescreens. Is there any information available on them?

Thanks,

John

D

DougF

Unless you have a heavy duty sewing machine and the ability to use it, I would tend to stay away from the job.
I sent mine to Larry Learn in Indiana, PA. Larry used to do all of the side curtains for The Roadster Factory before Magic Carpet came along. He does great work.
If you go that route, make certain the frames fit well before shipping them off.
Larry is always very busy, so there could be a lead time.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Doug,

You are right...the smart thing to do is to send them off. I've been accused of not being too smart, though! I will at least dis-assemble them and prime the frames. Most of the stitching seems doable, with the exception of the front window pane. That must take a MAJOR industrial needle to go through the lexan. It appears that stitching can be saved for last...?

It would just be helpful to know what order the vinyl goes on to make the job the easiest. In fact, it appears it may have to go together in a particular order to work out...

So, do to my stubborness, this thread will may turn into a "what not to do" in rebuilding sidescreens!?!

John

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
John-

Do you have factory sidescreens? I didn't think any of the trim went through the windows, which I thought were plexi-glass or something close.

Randy

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Don't know...

The front pane is very thin plexiglas. The vinyl is sewn onto the front of this pane , and the back of it has a thin stainless metal piece that holds a rubber seal. The rear sliding pane is much thicker.

I'll be fully photo-docing the whole thing later today and will post some pics. Hopefully you guys can tell me how much is factory...

John

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The TR2 had a single very thin plexiglass(?) window pane which was sewn into the vynide. I'm not positive, but I think on the very early TR3 (Oct-Dec 1955)retained the TR2 type sidescreen. On the later TR3, the front half of the panel was sewn in, and only the rear half was a slider. Several of the dated photos in Bill Piggott's "Triumph by name, Triumph by nature" bear this out.
Frank

Jesus

Country flag
John,
I plan to rebuild my sidescreens too. I have already powder-coated the frames and purchased from TRF the window “glasses”. The next step is to procure the vinyl- Everflex should be suitable.

The main difficulty is sewing the vinyl along the upper part of the frame, the arch. If each side of the vinyl cover is of one single piece (as probably it was originally), that seam must be done with the cover over the frame, in its final position. This usually requires a special sewing machine. I have imagined an alternative, that allows sewing the vinyl off the frame, with a plain heavy-duty sewing machine. This implies to fabricate the covers in two pieces: one for the opaque bottom that goes over the door, and one for covering the frame arch. The only difference here is that the two parts must be glued together where they meet, front and rear at the bottom of the arch.

Sewing the front of the window (the vinyil over the plexiglass) can be done easily by hand, if previously the holes have been drilled in the plexi.

Probably you will advance faster than I, so I’ll be following your progress.

Jesus

PS. I recommend that before covering the frames, you fit the sidescreens to the door and the top.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks all for the info. Jesus, it sounds like you have been thinking about the details for a while!

Here are the before pics. I've got the new panes on order. TRF says it'll be a couple months before they "make" them. Guess that means I won't be driving much till the weather warms.

_DSC7273.jpg

_DSC7274.jpg

The screens are really not that bad, but the panes were colored and the new hood is black...so white will not do. I think the PO wanted bronze colored windows to match the gold paint he put on. I can only imagine what driving with bronze windows would be like!

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Here are some close-ups of the corners. Jesus, I think this is where you were talking about using 2 pieces...I think that is the way these were assembled. But they seem to be sewn at the joint. I bought some vinyl...but what I bought will not work. To re-create the little splash flaps I will need some canvas-backed vinyl. So back to the store.

This is the rear seam:
_DSC7278.jpg

And this is the front seam where the bow meets:
_DSC7265.jpg

This is the stitching through the front plexi.
_DSC7266.jpg

After giving the screens a good study, I do not see anyway they can possibly keep the rain out. At best, they could only slow it down a bit! What's worse, I see no drain for the window channel, so any water running down the panes has to end up right inside the screen...with nowhere to drain out from there.

That said, I just made an oath that I will never drive this car in the rain...about all these screens can do is keep the small amount of heat put out by the heater inside the car.

Also, can anyone tell me what the two snap straps are for?

John

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
They look in good shape!

Clean them up. Use Mr Clean magic eraser or a plastic headlight polish kit on the panels. Re-sew the vinyl and then dye them black (see BCF restoration forum). Should look pretty good when you are done and save you big $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
John,

I drive on weekends up here in Northern Virginia, year round, as long as the roads are dry. I drive with a group of guys with old MGs ('33 to '62) and we never put our tops or side curtains on. We just bundle up. I wouldn't let the fact that you can't use your curtains stop you from enjoying such a great driving car.

Paul

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You might consider....Buying a side screen bag....putting the current sidescreens in the bag....and drive the car on days without rain. Do the shows...and have the sidescreens all bagged up! Gil NoCal

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks...I am sure you guys are right. Working on them is just part of the fun!

I mounted the screens on the car for the first time. Very enlightening. The left screen mounted perfectly with no issues. Turns out the right screen had been run over...I think?! Although it looked OK, it was actually pretty bent in several directions. When I sliced the covering, I discovered that the top bow was broken off from the lower frame. So it will take quite a bit of work once apart.

With the screens mounted, I have been working on the hood. Hopefully pics coming later today.

John

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
OK, I installed the new hood. I thought the sidescreens had to be in place to line up the hood, but that turns out not to be the case. The Robbins hood fits just about exact...as in there is no room for adjustment. That's a good thing, as it really speeds the installation. Past convertibles I have covered had to be stretched, and measured, trimmed and stapled. This just goes on...nice!

Here is a pic of the left side. It fit first time, no sweat:

_DSC7302.jpg

Here is the right side, that is all bent:

_DSC7309.jpg

As you can see, I have removed the front covering to see what was going on there. The upper bow did not ride in far enough, and when I pushed, it made the odd crunching sound. Here is the crack I found that has to be re-welded.

_DSC7305.jpg

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Did not see that anyone had given Larry Learn's phone number.

Larry can be reached at 724-465-8661. To my knowledge Larry does not have a web site because as he once told me he was to busy to be trolling the Internet! He did the entire interior, side screens, and top for my TR2 using rolls of material. He is simply the best of the best for the side screen cars!

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD TS981L

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I was going to brag about Jesus and the great job he did rebuilding his sidescreens, so I dug up this old "how-to" thread when I rebuilt mine. All the other pages are gone!

So...like....where'd the other pages go??

Edit...scratch that. I had split it into to threads, so disregard this necropost!