• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 engine removal

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have been spending way too much "pleasant" time under the bonnet of my TR3 with solvents removing rust proofing and tar etc. preparing to paint my engine bay. While wiling away the hours there I was looking about and wondering....

Could the following be done with lots of car and finesse without removing the front apron (or has anyone ever attempted it or done it)
-remove the fan without removing the rad
-remove the hub extension via the starter hole in the rad
-remove the frame cross piece (I suspect yes)
-remove the tranny (I know this can be done I did it)
-remove the water pump, generator and crank pulley
-remove the engine (which is my real question, is there some sneaky way to get the engine out without removing the apron - since the DPO welded my apron in place)

Like I said I have spent too much time staring at things under there and I was inspired by my in car steering box rebuild success.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The fan can be done (BTDT). Once the dog bolt is out through the crank hole, the extension can be unbolted from the hub and taken out to the side (ditto). Then the hub can be removed as well.

Everything else you mention, I've done, except for the engine block itself. Offhand I don't see why it wouldn't be possible; but I've never tried it. The camshaft & its bearings are about the only thing that can't be changed with the engine in the car, anyway.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
If you hold your mouth just right, it can be done.

OP
A

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TR3driver said:
The camshaft & its bearings are about the only thing that can't be changed with the engine in the car, anyway.

Thanks for the replies. by the above are you saying I can rebuild the engine (rings, bearings, pistons etc) while the engine is in place as long as I don't want to do the cam or its bearings?

I guess this is how a project can grow out of control, but if I were to remove the engine this way, does that mean the rad can then come out the engine compartment?

This is starting to look like my next major project on this car.

And Jim, holding my mouth just right seems like a small price to pay.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Have you ever tried a valve job by going up the exhaust pipe??? there comes a point where you are working hard to avoid a little effort.On a tr3 its good karma to pull the apron and cherry out the cooling system and the front of the motor.Get a front seal,timing chain ect and do a nice job of freshening up the old lump.She will reward you with many smiles per gallon latter.Dont forget to service the generator and its bolts too!!
MD(mad dog)

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Removing the fan, fan hub, and cross bar should allow the rad to be removed. Again, if you're willing to pay a small price. Buy one, get the second one free.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Adrio said:
by the above are you saying I can rebuild the engine (rings, bearings, pistons etc) while the engine is in place as long as I don't want to do the cam or its bearings?
Yup. I've never pulled the crank with the engine still in the car; but with the gearbox out I think it would be possible. But I have changed liners, pistons, rings & bearings that way.

Not a "rebuild" by my definition, but good enough to run for a long time. The short block that I'm pulling out of TS39781LO today hasn't had the crank out of the block in over 100,000 miles; and quite possibly never since it was new (although it's not the original engine). The first engine I "rebuilt" that way (after it swallowed a valve) is still running almost 35 years later, but probably hasn't done as many miles.

PS, I think to remove the radiator with the front apron in place, you also have to remove the cylinder head. I've heard it can be done, but haven't done it myself.

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
MDCanaday said:
good karma to pull the apron and cherry out the cooling system and the front of the motor.Get a front seal,timing chain ect and do a nice job of freshening up the old lump.She will reward you with many smiles per gallon latter.Dont forget to service the generator and its bolts too!!
MD(mad dog)

He said that the DPO welded the apron on. This might need to be added into the equation of the "best" way to do these repairs.

OP
A

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Indeed the DPO had welded it on in places. However, between the chats on here, the time I am spending cleaning the tar, just thinking and looking I realized it is folly to own a TR3 with an apron that can't be removed (never mind the fact I have owned one like that since 1979). And, given the fact part of this project was to paint the engine bay and that means I will have matching (I hope) paint in a gun to fix anything that might go wrong.

Sooooooo, I spent today very carefully cutting the welds I could find in the wing-apron seams, trying not to damage the paint or body work on either side. A few hours later and with the help of friend, the apron is off.

Now I can do a proper job of painting the engine bay and while it is apart like this I am having the radiator re-cored (any suggestions on that). Should I ever want to rebuild that engine or get at the rad or steering box, I know that with a few hours work I can get the apron off and the pull the engine, road or steering box.

Thanks for the motivation. And I won't blame anyone but myself when this quick project takes more then half the short Canadian summer.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Good call.