• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Color choice?

59Rob

Country flag
Since the motor is coming out I figured I may as well paint the engine bay. I won't be doing the outside paint until I finish another resto that I'm in the middle of but this will save time down the road.

It's white with red interior but the interior is original so it wouldn't hurt to redo it so I could do a color change. I was thinking of a change to BRG but I'm having second thoughts so I'm leaning back to white. I just don't know which white let alone the code for it. I had it repainted when I first got it 34 years ago so I really don't recall the original shade, it's pretty much fridge white right now. I was thinking something a bit creamier like Ivory white but I'm not sure, it's not like there's a bunch of TR3's to check out where I live.

Any thoughts or suggestions or even pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Rob -

When I restored mine, I did it in Pearl White with the red interior. The color code actually "translated" to a Toyota (as I recall) color, which was a nice cream color. Almost a very pale yellow.

Will see if I have any pictures that show well.

OP

59Rob

Country flag
Thanks, I drive myself batty everytime I paint a car, getting the exact color sorted out without being able to see your car in that color is maddening. I do want it fairly white I think, just not fridge white.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Rob -

PM me your email address, and I'll scan a couple of pictures and send them to you.

Mickey

OP

59Rob

Country flag
I'm new to this site so it's probably right in front of my nose but I cannot for the life of me see where you would send a PM?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Click on my user name, and it will give you the option.

Short of that - mjrichaud @ gmail.com

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I don't know about white, but every time I see the pictures of the TR3 in dove grey with red interior, I want to repaint my car in those colors!

OP

59Rob

Country flag
70herald said:
I don't know about white, but every time I see the pictures of the TR3 in dove grey with red interior, I want to repaint my car in those colors!

I vaguely remember seeing one that color and thinking it was nice but I don't recall wanting to change mine to that color?

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Silverstone Grey is a nice shade of white that isn't too
"refrigerator". I think it was only offered for 1959.
Frank Angelini's TR3 is that colour & I'm sure you can find a
good quality photo of his car for comparison.

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
I have seen Frank's Siverstone and it is indeed VERY good looking...particularly with the red interior. If you really like white however, the old english white or spa white give you that "antique white", not refrigerator white look. It's your car , you need to paint it the color YOU like,

Gordon
PS Look at the Triumph Gallery on the forum page of this website and you will see a link to a great photo of "The Grey Lady", Frank Angelini's award winng TR.

M

Member 10617

Old English White is very nice, and you can "live" with it for a long time. It also, strange to say, looks cleaner than the darker colors.

Red interior is nice... but I prefer black.

Old English White exterior.... black interior. Hard to beat!

OP

59Rob

Country flag
I have seen Pearl white years ago and as I recall I really liked it, also got some pics sent by Mickey of his in that color and I certainly like it. Looking at the color chart spa white looks to be more grey than pearl white. I have no idea what english white looks like, it's very hard to find pics that state the actual color. I looked at the Grey Lady, looks great but it's really hard to tell just how grey it is? Neither the old english white or the silverstone grey are on my color chart although the grey is in the list Mickey sent that has the paint codes.

I need to go to a big British show, there used to be one in the spring over on the mainland, I'll have to check into that. I went to a local one this summer but there were only three TR3's, none in white.

Thanks for all the suggestions

M

Member 10617

Here is a photo of my car in Old English White. The color that appears on the door is closest to the actual color, as the color on the rest of the car is highlighted by the sun.

Attachments

• 29956.jpg
    29956.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 213
OP

59Rob

Country flag
LexTR3 said:
Here is a photo of my car in Old English White. The color that appears on the door is closest to the actual color, as the color on the rest of the car is highlighted by the sun.

That's very nice! I did manage to find some pics of the silverstone grey, too grey for me although it must look great with a red interior.

I would like to keep it a stock TR color so it's really down to either Pearl white or the old English white, do you happen to know which is the lighter or darker shade? When the time comes I can get my paint supplier to tell me the mix ratio which should help with that, or mix me a sample of each for a test sprayout.

Thanks again for the help

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
59Rob said:
LexTR3 said:
I would like to keep it a stock TR color so it's really down to either Pearl white or the old English white, do you happen to know which is the lighter or darker shade?

I may be mistaken, but I'm not sure "Old English White" was offered for the TR3. Pearl, Sebring, and Spa White (I think), yes.

At any rate, the cars I've seen in Old English are lighter in shade, with a touch or grey or blue. Pearl is a bit darker, and a hint of yellow or cream.

Again, if not mistaken, Ford's Wimbledon White is similar to Old English.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP

59Rob

Country flag
Thanks Mickey. What I want is white with a touch of cream, or at least that's what I have floating around in my head. I can live with it not being a TR color as long as it's at least a british color from that era, if it was the one that really floated my boat. I just don't want to go completely off the grid for this car. Most cars I build are customs so any color I like will do. For obvious reasons I want this to be very traditional.

I'll get a sample of both mixed when the time comes to be sure. By your description it looks like it would be the pearl.

Thanks for everyone's help

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Already sent this to Rob, but here's the TR I had some years back:

Attachments

• 29957.jpg
    29957.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 95
M

Member 10617

The Old English White that I have on my TR3 definitely has a touch of cream. I think it is a great color.

Below is the TR3 I had in 1962. It came from the factory with some version of white, and I really didn't like it. It looked like a refigerator!

Attachments

• 29960.jpg
    29960.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 165
OP

59Rob

Country flag
I'll definitely get a sample of both and do a test sprayout to compare. I don't suppose you know the paint code for it do you? I was looking on the net and it seems like there's a few old english whites. Dupont code 8207 seemed to come up a lot so unless I know better I'll be getting some of that to try.