• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Top or Tonneau cover hole?

WD75MGB

Freshman Member
This is my first post to this site. I have a 1975 MGB which I am the original owner, sold to me by my father at the British Leyland dealership at the time. Now I'm in the process of restoring it. I rebuilt the engine, worked on the suspension, new exhaust and used downdraft weber carb and lots of other stuff. I look forward to asking questions and giving any advice or insights whatever that may be.
I do have a question to start. I was wondering what these holes are for since it's been along time I have used this car. Probably a very simple question but I have to ask. I added the photos down below or the links.
Yahoo PhotosYahoo photos
Thanks
Bill

G

welcome aboard, I'd like to be some help, but I can't get to the pics

A

aerog

Wasn't there a post there for the shoulder belts? I can't remember what year they did away with those for retractable ones...but up to a point the shoulder belts attached up on top and there was a hole in the boot/tonneau for the post to stick up through.

G

that's what it is the shoulder belt holder. Gerry Masterman makes repro pieces for them. get his info here

G

The threaded hole you refer to is the top attachment point for three point seal belts. The design required the driver to remove and re-attatch the seatbelt from a chrome knob of sorts that screwed in the threaded hole, every time the top was raised or lowered. After just a couple of years, the design was changed but the threaded holes did not go away. BTW, the tonneau cover also had holes to match the seatbelt mounting points.

OP
W

WD75MGB

Freshman Member
Hi aerog. I've got the retractable belts and you are probably right that these were used in earlier models for the belts. Now I can't remember if these holes were ever plugged with something originally or if they were always like this. It probably doesn't matter since the top covers these holes not allowing water to enter when it rains.

Bill

OP
W

WD75MGB

Freshman Member
Hi Bob. I'm sure mine had the plugs as you described but I can't really remember. I would actually like to fill them with something than just leaving like it is. But I don't want them filled in as though they were never there such as body filler. I looked through the Moss catalog and didn't see anything like it. I would like to see a photo of them but please don't tear your house apart looking for them. Thanks!
Bill

G

I knew you had something Gerry
thumbsup.gif

G

Those holes have plastic plugs in them on my '72. It has a slot in the top that looks like it would fit a large flat blade screw driver. I have pictures somewhere if you are interested but would have to find them.
Bob

OP
W

WD75MGB

Freshman Member
Thanks Bob for taking those photos. I think my car had those plugs before it got painted and they were never put back in. Oh well. I think I will try Gerry's setup and see how it looks. I will email you Gerry.
Bill

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Just for the record...those holes were used to mount the seat belt shoulder strap in 1971...then they went to the retractor type...a BIG improvement over a unique design.

Bruce
cheers.gif

Fox

Freshman Member
my 75 roadster has these, my belts are secured into them by bolts that are about an inch and a half in length, when i need to raise the hood, i simply unscrew them with my fingers and screw them back on, as far as im aware, the earlier models (and possibly mine) had a "quick release clip" on them to undo the belt by pressing a button in, i have some belts like this somewhere, but they wont fit my mg.

jimd

Fox and others. Instead of having to unscrew the bolt when you put the top up/down, you can just anchor another seat belt buckle at that location. But it is not noticeable and is convenient. I still don't have a digital so I can't photo my setup - hopefully I'll get one soon. Jim.