• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

To powder coat or not...

paulpo69

Freshman Member
Greetings everyone,
My frame-off restoration is at the turning point where I am starting to reassemble the complete car. The frame was sent out for media blasting and primer & paint, now I'm faced with the decision of powder coating the various suspension parts or simply paint. Does anyone have experience with powder coating the rear leaf springs or front coil springs? Since these will flex, I can't imagine how powder coating will 'stick' and not crack. Given that same idea, how does paint hold up? Or for these items should I just media blast and leave as bare metal? If painting is the way to go, should I prime first and then paint? Or can I forego the primer?
Thanks in advance,
Pablo

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Pablo, welcome to the forum,

Speaking from a reliability, safety, standpoint, I personally would use only a light coat of paint on highly stressed suspension, steering, & braking components. These need to be occasionally inspected for possible cracks/failures. A thick coat of paint makes inspection difficult.

I wouldn't leave bare metal though, it rusts too easily. A light coat of the correct color should be sufficient. This is all the factory originally used.

A "show only" car could be done anyway you wish, however Healey Concours show judging looks down on over restored parts.
D

R

RonMacPherson

Eastwood has some paint for springs. Supposed to be good stuff, from what a couple of people have told me.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
I agree with Dave. Powder coating for springs is expensive, unnecessary and not really suited for the purpose. Also, as low as these cars ride, one would have to lie on the ground even to get a look at these pieces. Eastwood paint products have proven quite suitable for me, though they are expensive. I routinely do prime before finish painting chassis and other small parts, after bead blasting. Mainly personal preference, and probably not required for occaisional use.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If my information is correct, powder coating is micro porous and we generally galvanise any steel first and powder coat on top. I have seen steel blasted and powder coated without galvanising and was rusting from under the coating.

Bob

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Good feedback already on the powder coat but just want to add that I always apply a self-etch type primer on bare steel (or aluminum) before the top coat.

Cheers,
John

OP
paulpo69

paulpo69

Freshman Member
Dave,
What is the correct color? Most of the parts I have blasted were greasy/oily and or rusted to begin with and I never could find an example of any original color...

Eastwood has a variety of coatings - chassis black, gloss, matte, clear, silver, etc... that the choices are overwhelming. Is there one consistent 'color' that would suit my needs? The engine & tranny are easy - healey green (and have already been painted that color). But all the various suspension parts, engine mounts, rear-end, drive shaft, steering column, etc... is what I'm trying to decide how/what color to paint or powder coat.

thanks again for your suggestions!

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
paulpo69 said:
Dave,
What is the correct color? Most of the parts I have blasted were greasy/oily and or rusted to begin with and I never could find an example of any original color...
Hi Pablo,
If you are trying for factory original colors, it gets a bit complex. Many of the suspension parts were painted a semi gloss black, some were left aluminum, etc.
Here is a very good book which covers the original colors of nearly all parts plus much more:
https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29492&SortOrder=1
D