• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Powder coating process [stateside, not PR]

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I finally got around to getting some pages updated on my website. These are the before, after and during pictures of the chassis parts at the powder coating shop.

https://www.74tr6.com/frameparts.htm

Please note: That the principal process is still the same as approved by Dale in Bayamon, but geared more towards a commercial capability. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

EDIT: New page of sub-assemblies ready to go.

https://www.74tr6.com/framepartassembly.htm

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
More pages coming. I'm too far behind on this web stuff.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Paul;

Hey; Very Nice Looking "EVERYTHING"!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

If the bottom of your car comes out as sweet looking as your engine bay; You`ll have yourself a "Barrett Jackson" candidate!!

Have Fun;

Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

T

Tinster

Oh, Oh- I'm getting vibrations that a car trailer might be
on the horizon. Could Paul be in the final stages of
building himself a "Trailer Queen"? We know how it is when
some folks arrive at their sunset years!

Amos hangs out with bikers; Trailer Queens polish their
chrome and avoid work.

Buy hey, that powder coat oven would certainly serve double
duty here in PR with 400* temps. LECHON!!! yum, yum.

lechon.jpg
[/img]

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Paul: outstanding photos. these are much better than anything I have ever seen of a TR-6 underside in very good condition. This certainly could be used as a reference for others

One comment regarding powder coating, and I am sure you already know this. you can save time from having to chase all those threads by plugging the holes with high temp silicone rubber plugs or even alum. foil.

cheers, Frank

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Amos hangs out with bikers; Trailer Queens polish their chrome and avoid work.[/QUOTE]

Dale,

My car will never be a TQ as long as I own it. I just followed in YOUR footsteps with the powder coated chassis parts and under body paint work.

Just for the record, I don't think that I'm as colorful as you are are either!! LOL!!!!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]you can save time from having to chase all those threads by plugging the holes with high temp silicone rubber plugs or even alum. foil. [/QUOTE]

Frank,

The coater did a good job with covering threads. I just chased everything because the parts were used and needed cleaned up. Heck, even some of the new nuts and bolts needed a quick pass with the dies and taps.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Heck, even some of the new nuts and bolts needed a quick pass with the dies and taps. [/QUOTE]

Boy, that's the truth. I bought a bag of 1/4-20 nuts at the despot - one actually had no threads. China? India? I don't know. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

T

Tinster

Ah, young grasshopper, Paul!

You honor old powder coat master Tinster.

Yes, every bolt and threaded hole, new or old,
must be chased with tap and die.

thus it is written.

d

tapclean.jpg
[/img]

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
That's beautiful work Paul and I like your color scheme, seems a shame to drive it after getting it that pretty!
Bob looks to have a nice setup for painting there, but shouldn't he have a mask on when spraying that stuff around; or maybe it's not as harmful as regular paint?

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I don't think that it gets in the air as much as atomized paint being sprayed. I've been to several commercial powder coaters here in NE and no one wears a mask.

Most big time operations spray into a recycling container of sorts that allows for the powder that doesn't adhere to be recycled, but that's only on the really high volume jobs.

T

Tinster

The powder stuff is very inert until it is heated.
I has a relative high density compared to air and quickly falls out of suspension unto the floor. I have shot lungs
and do not need to wear a mask as the powder coating never makes it past to my wrists. Never on my face or head.

Now baking it? Stuff stinks to high heavens and I avoid it.
I set a timer and return, cut the power and leave until cool down is completed.

I powder coat on a plastic sheet and shake it out in the garden- many matt black roses now and red daffodils.

d

PeterK

Yoda
The powder is explosive and has warnings about open flame when the powder is being applied; also is why it must be cured in an electric oven (vs. gas). Vacuums are also a no-no because the motor arc could ignite the powder.

I usually spray @8psi so there's not much velocity to the spray but I can still smell it so I know it's in the air.
Anything is in the air is bad for your lungs whether you can see/smell it or not, it still there and you are breathing it. I wear a mask if I'm coating alot of parts. I put plastic on the bottom of my spray box and reccle it back in the bag if there's a lot.

I also use a timer set to 20min @400degrees, then I turn it off and open the oven door and leave for another 20min. I've noticed that certain brands of power smell worse than others when curing. I usually buy 1-2lb bags at a time (ebay or Eastwood) to save money and store in plastic jars that fit my gun (Eastwood).

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PeterK said:
The powder is explosive
Yeah, but no more so than flour. And I've baked a lot of pies in a gas oven.

PeterK

Yoda
But there's no warning on a bag or flour is there? I am just following the directions. You'd have to be spraying a lot of this stuff to flash I would think.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Our world is full of dire warnings these days, particularly the Internet. IMO this one falls into the same category as coffee exploding from the microwave and gas stations blown up by cell phones. It could theoretically happen, but the odds are so astronomical that no one has ever actually seen it happen.

Besides, you already have a fatal, incurable disease ... why worry about something that will never happen ?

BTW, flour explosions do happen fairly often, or at least did before people understood the requirement for controlling dust in flour mills and whatnot. Here's one example of the DIY approach :
https://www.hallpass.com/media/howtomakeflourexplosion.html