• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Tr6 rim before and after powder coating.

Tr4dude

These are powder coated in Argent Silver with a clear coat.

IPHONE249.jpg

IPHONE248.jpg

OP
Tr4dude

Tr4dude

Thanks and I will be using trim rings but they need some polishing!! I can't wait to see what you bring me!! Thanks!!
grin.gif

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Putting on those trim rings will make you cry: <span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">scratch</span></span>

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Nice work! Was this DIY? I'm curious as to what you used to fill the deep scratches and pitting? Also which brand of powder did you use?

V

vagt6

Wondering what's a reasonable cost to sandblast and powder coat 4 wheels? Anyone know? :confuse:

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
vagt6 said:
Wondering what's a reasonable cost to sandblast and powder coat 4 wheels? Anyone know? :confuse:

I realize that this is personal preference, but a brand new VTO "minilite" sells for less than $200. There is a considerable ammount of work involved in the preparation of a wheel prior to powder coat. Just like paint, if the surface is not prepared properly, the results are a disappointment.

OP
Tr4dude

Tr4dude

Ok,

It will scratch them but it will not go down to the metal, powdercoating is more durable than paint which may cost much higher IMO, I give samples to customers with a quarter and tell them to do your damndest, after they finally get through to the metal there is always a smile.

Now, you can send me your TR3 it will go nice with the TR4 and TR6!!! :lol: If you don't have a good coater I will see if I can find a Quality coater in your area if possible, but I welcome any work you would want to send my way!!

I think that $250 is average for a single coat on up to 15 inch rims.

Good prep is key for any work, for powder coating steel, this should include a Clean and Degrease, Preheat to burn off any oily residue, (heavy grease buildup removal is extra), Media Blasting, Phosphate dip/rinse, then coat and bake.

The nice thing about powder coating is you don't have to wait a week or more for it to fully cure after the bake cycle when it cools off it is ready for service!!!

Clear coat is needed on metalics and silvers at a 50% extra charge in most shops. A zinc rich primer is suggested for harsh conditions such as salty roads for improved durability at an extra cost. Prices are negotiable with larger orders and repeat business, so make a new freind with your powder coater :yesnod:

The powder will fill in minor scratches, most of the pitting was on the rim and not the center so the trim rings will supply cover for them. for a concourse type finish, deep pits can be filled with heat resistant products like Lab Metal, lighter pitting can be filled in with a primer powder coat and sanded smooth before finish coating and polish.

I used Eastwood powder but have switched over to using Powder365, they have more variety of custom colors, which I need, plus their customer service is 2nd to none IMO.

Here is some of my work for your viewing pleasure!
Powder Coating

Pitting and marks won't show with trim rings on.

Picture005.jpg

You could say that I am a DIY kind a guy, here are some pictures of my Tr6 resto all done with my own hands,

PIC-0099.jpg

Copyofhosebikeandfender068.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Picture002.jpg

DIY blast cabinent

Picture006.jpg

DIY oven for small parts with a 80 gal Champion compressor and spray booth. please excuse the pic it was with my cell.

Picture007.jpg

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dude, where in SoCal are you located?

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Marv,

I seem to recall that discussion being about wire wheels.

Scott

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tr4dude said:
I am over In Norwalk by La Mirada.
Well, what were you doing there, instead of at the club meeting at Maggie's Pub!?

OP
Tr4dude

Tr4dude

Had a barbeque for my little one's 4th birthday!! Scott invited me in June, Guess I need to get my Priorities straight. I will be at the next one for sure. :yesnod: