• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Powder Coating wire wheels?

Zimmycobra

Country flag
Has anyone had their 60 spoke painted wheels, media blasted and then powder coated? I am going to get them blasted, but not sure about the powder coating yet. Has anyone tried one of the powder coated chrome-like silvers? Did you like it and does it look like chrome? Or should I use the Moss paint or a matching grey powder coat?

So many choices, so may colors, so little money!!!!!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I would think that powder coat would make the wheels difficult to service as the coating is fairly thick and would probably crack around the spokes/nipples if you tried to re-true/tighten. Also, touching up if necessary would be about impossible. I'll agree that getting them media blasted is a good idea. Then I would get them trued up followed by some paint.

Personally, I think that chromed wire wheels look right on higher end cars such as Jags and Ferraris etc, but for the MGs and TRs, I prefer the look of painted wires...which is what I bought from Hendrix when I put new ones on the TR3.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've heard people say the wheels warped from the heat when powdercoated. I would not do it myself.

PKPoole

Country flag
I had my MGA wire wheels 'ping-blasted' (metal shot) and PC'd. Worked great and still looks terrific after 7 years. Of course, the wheels have to be in good shape to start with. Good luck.

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
if wheels warped from powder coating they were in poor shape to begin with. I've had a set of wire wheels blasted, trued, and powder coated with a nice silvery grey that looked much like the original paint, but was much more durable. A good powder coating is not thick, and wont crack/chip even when adjusting spokes down the road, but I would definately have the wheels trued and all problems addressed before powder coating. Also make sure to mask the splines before doing so as well, you dont want to be getting powder coating on the splines and making them not fit properly.

OP
Zimmycobra

Zimmycobra

Country flag
Thanks, everyone for your thoughts and comments. I have done a bunch of thinking about it and while I think that the Powder Coating would be fine when done right, I think that for the sake of cost right now I will go with paint. I have found a great place that will media blast them to bare metal for $60 per wheel. I also have a good body shop about 1 mile away that I will try to get to spray the wheels with a primer, a silver/grey color and then clear coat. It seems like that will give me a good, appropriate wheel for a reasonably cheap price. I am finding that the tires are going to be more than I had planned, so saving on the wheels makes sense. Not trying for concourse perfect - only practical and good looking. Thanks again.

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
Before you pull the trigger, contact Alan @ Hendrix Wire Wheel in Greensboro, NC. This guy is the guru of all things wire wheels and might be able to provide you with road ready, repainted ,trued wheels and tires at a VERY reasonable price. $60. just for blasting seems high to me.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Gordon's suggestion sounds good. My original wheels had mostly chipped paint and some rust. Nipples are too frozen to true and part of the reason spokes occasionally break. I spent a day with steel wool, sandpaper and a couple rattle cans. They still look good enough for me after 6 years. Just the investment in tires, tubes, mounting and removing tires to replace broken spokes (PITA) all adds up enough that next time I need tires I hope to get new wheels.

OP
Zimmycobra

Zimmycobra

Country flag
Richard:

I hear ya. New wheels all mounted up with new tires and ready to install sure sounds great after the 4 year project and wanting to drive, but the money is an issue for me right now. All of the wheels appear to be in good, but ugly condition. I am pretty sure that cleaned up and repainted, they should be fine. A local tire shop that is experienced with British car wire wheels will dismount, remount and balance the wheels for $25 per wheel. Can't beat that. So even with the cost of the media blasting and some paint and time, I am well ahead of a new set of wheels. I hope that it turns out as simple as it sounds.:encouragement:

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Oh I understand the money part, that's why I used sandpaper and spray cans. And why I said hope to get new wheels.