• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tire size for wire wheels

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello all:

Happy Holidays

I just picked up a set of wire wheels & hubs for my 250. I am currently running 205/70/15's on steel wheels, but I think they may be too wide for the wires.

I am looking for more of a classic look anyway & was wondering what people are running on their wires. I don't care about originality, (redlines), but am looking for a decent tire that will give good handling on a stock car, with uprated shocks, bushings and front sway bar.

Any help would be appreciated.
I will also need a set of knock offs if any one has some.

P.S. if I go a diff size I have a nice set of Pirelli 4000's that will be for sale.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I went with original mitch. redlines>>>>

((Thanx Paul))

DSC07681.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
LastDeadLast said:
205/70-15 on Dayton wheels. Lowered 1" and still no rubbing:

normal_2006-08-27-Exterior%20017.jpg

I wanna see that kids drivers licence!!!!....LOL /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

yer car looks great!!

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
kodanja said:
LastDeadLast said:
I wanna see that kids drivers licence!!!!....LOL /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

yer car looks great!!

Thanks! I absolutely love the looks of wires on our cars.

I'm still wondering how my boy reached the pedals to pull the car out of the driveway!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
Key here is the width of the wheels themselves. If they're older 60-spoke, 4.5" wide, I wouldn't go much beyond the 165SR15 for them. If they're a later 72-spoke, 5.5" wheel, the 205/70R15 might be ok.

Very true.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The rule of thumb is that the rim width must be at least 70% of the tire width. So, if you have a 5.5" rim, divide by .7, which is 7.86 x 25.4 = 200mm. You could get away with a 205.

If the rim is 6", then the math yeilds 217mm.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
As Andy says, and others restate, rim width determines the tyre section you can use.
Wires look classic with a taller, narrower tyre, say a 185/70 or 185/75 on a 5 inch or 5.5 inch rim. Low profile, modern tyres on wires look "hotrod" not classic.

While they do look nice, personally I don't think wires look as good on a TR6 as the earlier cars, but thats a matter of personal taste.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
gjh said:
...I just picked up a set of wire wheels & hubs for my 250. I am currently running 205/70/15's on steel wheels...

Have you considered keeping the Pirellis and switching back & forth? I run both wires and discs at various times. Get so much practice at R&R that I move around the garage like a NASCAR pit crew.

I guess I just like both looks and put enough miles on the tires that I still wear them out before they get too old. Someday (maybe next week) I'm going to show up on a club drive with wires on one side and discs on the other and see who notices.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
Have you considered keeping the Pirellis and switching back & forth? I run both wires and discs at various times. Get so much practice at R&R that I move around the garage like a NASCAR pit crew....
Cool idea. But don't forget that you must use a spacer under the wire wheel hub in such a situation. It's that, or shorten the studs as emphasized time and time again in Triumph Service Bulletins. But once you shorten the studs for the wire wheel hubs, you really can't safely go back to steel wheels, hence the suggestion of a spacer (1/4" should do it).

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Has anyone gone to the spacers to allow going back to steel, or alloys?

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I use the spacers from Revington as they are made to fit the TR3 hub exactly although I know folks running the 6mm-1/4 in. generic with no prob. I have both sets of shod wheels.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
gjh said:
Has anyone gone to the spacers to allow going back to steel, or alloys?

I use the Generic version from a local Hot Rod wheel shop (thanks Andy for bringing this up, I should have noted spacers in my comment).

spacers.JPG

They may sell as 1/4" or as 6mm. I think one of the books (Williams or Piggot) mentions using a 9mm spacer but this would appear to be an unfortunate typo.

Have used them for years w/o a problem.

Doug_Henderson

Freshman Member
Country flag
I just bought a 1964 TR4. I'm a newbie to the TR4 world so I have a lot to learn.

The car has stock steel wheels and I want to put wire wheels on it. My question is whether there are any technical issues or clearance problems with using wider TR250 wheels on a TR4?

My car has 195/65R15 tires. From what I read in your posts, it seems these tires are too wide for 4.5" wheels -- they should be on wider wheels. But can I put wider wheels on my TR4 without problems?

Thanks for your help!

FYI, there is useful tire size conversion info in British Motoring Summer 2004 page 18 https://www.britishmotoring.net/

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Shannon,

I'm still wondering when you're gonna buy him a nice TR6 cap???

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Will the spacers be an issue with the 205-70's?

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Gary,

They might be.. I know mine are pretty close to the front fenders now, but then again, my rig is lowered an inch.

Brosky,

Where did you get a TR had to fit a kid? I've been looking for one.

MichaelG

Doug,

The 72 spoke wires should fit without modification on the TR4, and 195/65 15 tires are fine for this size wire wheel. I have this set-up on my 65Tr4A.

I don't have any experience with using spacers, but this would be the most convenient way to add the wire wheel adapter, and still have the flexibility to switch back to solid rims..as well as avoiding the task of either replacing or cutting the stock wheel studs to achieve the shorter length required for WW's. I my case I cut the studs because this was the path of least resistance at the time.

Cheers

Mike Godley
65 TR4A

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Like Mike, I have a 1965 Tr4a, and have 2 sets of wires, the correct original ones with 165/15 and a 5.5 inch 72 spoke set
with 195/60/15 for general driving.
I did have 205/50 race tyres on the wider wheels at one time and had no clearance problems, though they are 2 inches smaller, which looked pretty strange but gave good acceleration!
Incidentally, i think the TR250 wires are 4.5 inch wide, same as the TR4, the steels may be 4 inch on the earlier cars.
simon.