• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BE Tire Size

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
Disregarding the relative merit, or lack thereof, any suggestions as to what size tire or brand to look for that will fit a BE with a ww rear axle in a steel rear end? I assume the stock size but any other considerations?

nomad

Yoda
Anybody have any experience trying 175/70's on a square wheel arch car? I've heard that 165/70 is the biggest that will fit. Thats what I have currently.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I run 175/70 13s on a '66 SWA car with stock rims. I've only rubbed twice, both times when i REALLY overcooked a corner.

Country flag
Eric, are you saying you have ww half shafts in a steel wheel axle case?

If so, then you will crowd the rear arches with 165/70, and your axles are not going to engage fully in your diff.

nomad

Yoda
Thanks, JP and Bill L. I have 155/80's on another car and was hoping to get a little more rubber on the road. My wheel arches have been "expanded" a little also!!
KA

G

nomad said:
Anybody have any experience trying 175/70's on a square wheel arch car? I've heard that 165/70 is the biggest that will fit. Thats what I have currently.

I run 175/70-13's (Cooper Cobra GT) all the way around on my square wheel arch (on wires).

That's a great tire calculator. I was looking for one a while back and couldn't find one- this one is real good.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I have 175/70s on my midget. My gearing is a bit different than most and after driving it a while, I think I will go with smaller tires next time to make 5th gear a bit more usable. I don't need much lower and I think the tires should do it. I want to keep my width about the same though. What is the smallest 13 inch tire they make in a 70 series, or would 60s fit if the profile was low enough?

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I run 175/70s on all my Sprites, 4 of them now, bugeyes, square arch, I love them, I never had any serious rubbing problems except for maybe when I took a corner at about 70 mph. :wink:
I recently dropped the 195/60s for the 175/70s as they are the best all around tire IMHO.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
regularman said:
What is the smallest 13 inch tire they make in a 70 series, or would 60s fit if the profile was low enough?

If i recall correctly, Falken makes a 165/70 13.

Jedi Trainee
Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 165/65 HR 13

Steve

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I also found there is a 165/60 13 out there but they are harder to find. With that size it is no wider than the 175/70 13 but a whole lot littler around. That might be the ticket for me. My gearing is only the tiniest bit too tall on the highway. I have to get down sooner than I think I should, but it is still so much nicer and quieter than the old 4 speed and 3.9 gear.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
not sure I understand the question?

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
regularman said:
I have 175/70s on my midget. My gearing is a bit different than most and after driving it a while, I think I will go with smaller tires next time to make 5th gear a bit more usable. I don't need much lower and I think the tires should do it. I want to keep my width about the same though. What is the smallest 13 inch tire they make in a 70 series, or would 60s fit if the profile was low enough?

Sumitomo and some others have a 175-50-13. I bought one Nexen 175-60 just to see the fit..they are a low profile tire!
I know...its on 'backwards' in the one pic..it was only to check the fit :smile:
I think they would look good if one lowered the car 1" or more to reduce the gap from tire to fender..
I ended up going with the standard 175-70s..I figure if I am not happy with the pick-up..I can either put my 4.22 back in..or go to the 60 series.

Attachments

• 15402.jpg
    15402.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 15403.jpg
    15403.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 149

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Looks like you're missing the engine to have the wheel well that open. Either that or just put on new springs and the usual suspects sent you a set of RB Spridget Springs. How is the fit at the rear? I'm thinking I need to remove the lowering kit in the front if I want to go with wider tires.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Love the wheels BTW. Gonna look very sharp when you are done.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Jim,
Thanks - i wasn't sure if I'd like the charcoal grey centers..on a red car, but it looks OK I think!
Sorry, I confused you guys..these are pics with the 175-60s..I went with the 175-70s to better fill the wheel wells. (sorry no pics)
Those are original springs..and the engine is in..those tires are that low profile and leave LOTS of space. They would good with a lowering though.

My tires are gonna dry rot before I wear them out. I had a near "Tony" episode during the restoration. The pics above were ~1 yr ago. At one point, I was driving around the neighborhood giving kids rides around the cul-de-sac..but the timing cover was leaking. Hmmm..gotta pull the engine to get at that. You all know the rest.
Now the only thing left on the car that could be unbolted is the dash and windshield!! (Windshield will come off soon for re-paint!) I just laugh..my wife is still putting up with it going on year 3 with it in the garage..and no room for anything else! She's still a good sport about it. (for now!)

Attachments

• 15404.jpg
    15404.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 126