• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VTO Wheels/Tire Size

BritCars54

I am new to the forum. Question about my recently acquired '60 TR3A. I have a new set of VTO Classic 8's, 15x6, +24 offset (as recommended by VTO). Have not put them on yet (long story). Tires will need replacing. I am considering 185x65x15 vs a 195x65x15.
FYI, might do some autocross in the future. Anyone with experience with this combination of wheels/tires, or suggestions? Appreciate the input. Al

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Al, welcome to the forum. I'm sure that someone will be along soon to answer your question, as there are a lot of knowledgeable TR3 owners here.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Al,

You sure are quick in posting here which is Great but you forgot the darn "PICTURES"!!!!!

You may want to post your question in the "Racing" Forum as well. There`s a gent there (Hap Waldrop - Acme Speed Shop); Racer, Engine Builder, VTO Sales & Service & Others.

I`m sure he can give you the definite answer to your question(s).

"HAPPY NEW YEAR" to "ALL".

Russ

Al, sorry for the delay, I normally suggest the +3mm 3.58" backspacing wheel for the TR3s, the +24mm is what we use on the MGA and MGB.

OP
B

BritCars54

Thanks so much for the input. I purchased directly from VTO as it was easy for me to go to Prescott Valley, AZ to pickup. I have not mounted tires yet, as the car is not yet drivable. Awaiting backordered throttle shafts for my SUs. Need to get running so I can get over to a friend's house to remove knock-offs, place studs, etc.
Will contact VTO.
Once I have the correct wheel, what would you suggest for tire size? Want something more than 165s. Was thinking 185-65-15 or 195-65-15.
Thanks again!

nissanite

I have a TR-4A that is waiting for the body to go on. I would rather have a taller tire but I have put 195/65/15 on. I am worried about the width. I think 185 would be better.
Any premium brand modern tire will be lightyears ahead of the technology from the 60's. A 185 will give you more grip than the car was ever designed for.

I work for Bridgestone Americas as a product trainer. Unless you are racing your car, I suggest a "Touring" level tire. It will firm up the ride from original & give a fair ride on the highway.

OP
B

BritCars54

Thanks for the input...I agree and think the 185 will be more than enough...even if I do autocross at Triumphest once a year.

I too think the 185/65/15 would be a good choice, and would welcome feedback, and pictures to better help future TR3 customers.

OP
B

BritCars54

Thanks Hap. Will be some weeks before pictures...throttle shafts for the SUs on backorder for 3 more weeks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO the tire construction is much more important than the size/width, at least on a TR suspension. There aren't a lot of high performance tires available in 185/65-15, but there are a few that should be decent. I've had good luck with Bridgestone Potenzas and I see Tire Rack has the G019 Grid (which is rated "high performance all season") in 185/65-15.

Of course they will be a bit shorter than the stock tires, but only by 5% or so (meaning your speedo will read about 3 mph higher at 60 mph than it would with the stock tires).

And the 185 are narrow enough that you shouldn't have any issues with interference, even if the body isn't quite perfectly centered over the wheels. On my TR3A I had to tweak the body in several places to get 205s under the fenders, and they would still rub lightly in hard turns.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
I too think the 185/65/15 would be a good choice, and would welcome feedback, and pictures to better help future TR3 customers.

I put on 185/70-15's (Vredestien Sprint Classics) on my TR3. The diameter of 185/70-15s is almost exactly the same as 165/80-15s. They fill the wheel wells nicely and I feel they look right for the car.

Attachments

• 27505.jpg
    27505.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 181