• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

temperature gauge....HELP

Anthony_S

help me please....I started to remove my dash and gauges today and when I got to the temp gauge I could not get it out of the thermostat housing. Anyone have any ideas? I thought about cutting it, and replacing the whole gauge and back of the thermostat housing. Where would I get a new temp. gauge that is the same style as the original....would rather it didn't look too "new".

Thanks
Anthony

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Even if you cut the tubing, you'll still have to get the bulb out of the housing eventually (unless you replace the housing as well).

I don't know of a source for new gauges that match; but there are several places that will rebuild your old unit, including replacing the tube and bulb. Eg, Mo-Ma, West Valley, Nisongers to name just a few.

Another option might be the electric temp gauge from an early TR4. They are much more rugged than the mechanical TR3 gauges, and so turn up in good used condition from time to time. ISTR I paid about $30 for mine, plus another $30 or so for the sender and voltage stabilizer. The appearance is nearly identical, except the top number is 250F instead of 230F.

OP
Anthony_S

Anthony_S

thanks, I will check out that thread. Worse case senerio was to cut the tubing and replace the housing, which I would rather not do but as of now thats my option cause I can't get the bulb out of the housing.

Thanks again.

OP
Anthony_S

Anthony_S

Good thread, thanks :smile: I will have to try those things. Do you think it will help with the nut? I can't even get that thing to budge.

Thats cool our cars are that close :smile:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Similar to the thread linked to. I had a stuck bulb and got it out by taking the housing off with the capillary tube still attached. You have to be careful that you don't mess up the tube or the bulb while working on getting it out of the housing. Have the nut unscrewed before you remove the housing. What I did was spray some of your favorite weasel wee (I used PB Blaster) both on the outside, and the inside where the bulb protrudes. Let it soak overnight, and you should be able to start wiggling the bulb out. You may need some more spray. You can also gently tap on it, which is what I had to do.

With a little patience, you can get it out.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Warming the housing will help with getting the nut loose, as the aluminum housing expands faster with heat than the steel nut. Don't go too far though, you don't want to ruin the gauge. Once you've given up and cut the tube, it doesn't matter.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Take the time to remove the housing so you can work from both sides. The cost of a temp gauge rebuild is a lot more than some gaskets, antifreeze, PB blaster and/or Lime Away

OP
Anthony_S

Anthony_S

Well thanks for all the input on this too. I tried all of these things and to no avail it isn't budging :frown: I gave up and decided to cut the tubing so I can continue on. I will be looking into sending the gauge to someone to rebuild it. I am hoping I will be able to get the nut and bulb out so I don't have to buy a new rear housing but we will see I guess.

OP
Anthony_S

Anthony_S

Just wanted to let ya'll know I got the bolt out of the housing last night. Now I just need to get the bulb out and I won't have to replace the housing too. Baby steps that put a smile on my face :smile:

TR3TomG

I had a line break in my MGTF temp gauge and just had Nisongers fix it(same type set up with the cap tube and line) and they did a beautiful job. I thik it cost $130. Down side is that it took 4 weeks. Anyway, when the line broke on my TR3, I picked up a used one on Ebay for a little over $100 and it has worked just fine (and I then sold the busted one for about half that).

If you have not gotten the bulb out, you may want to try ATF fluid and Acetone mixed 50/50 and let it soak. There are other things you can use, but this seems to be what a lot folks recommend as a penetrating sollution for stuck parts.

Best of luck.

OP
Anthony_S

Anthony_S

Yeah I have it soaking in Limeaway right now, I also have PB blaster and CLR. I did find a gauge on ebay for 70 bucks so Im excited about that. It is a clone but better than paying double to have mine rebuilt. What is ATF fluid?

TR3TomG

ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid. I have seen the clones on Ebay, and they seem to look fine, though I dont know anything about how well they work. Just be sure that the one you are buying works. Soak the bulb in hot water before installing to insure the needle moves up.

OP
Anthony_S

Anthony_S

Thanks, I feel silly now asking about ATF haha. This guy had 100% positive feed back on all he has sold. But I will be sure to check it out. He even said send it back if it doesn't work and he would refund.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They did my tach when I had it changed over to electric.
They called and let me know what they were going to do and how much before they did it.
Was very satisfied with the customer service

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Anthony_S said:
... I did find a gauge on ebay for 70 bucks so Im excited about that. It is a clone but better than paying double to have mine rebuilt.

I bought one of those clones, and the look of it is very, very close to original. The big difference is in how it illuminated. You'll have to run a separate bulb that fits inside the housing.

I haven't installed it yet, as I have a cheap FLAPS unit in there now.