• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Still no Oil Pressure on '59 BE--Ideas???? Help???

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
As directed, I checked the relief valve (Looked OK), checked oil filter after running about 30 seconds, there was no oil in it.

Next removed oil filter adapter from the 1275 engine, fired it up for a few seconds...no oil.
Put plastic tube up the hole that feeds into the oil adapter in the engine block and puffed into as hard as I could - made no difference.

Starting to get concerned that the new oil pump isn't pumping for some reason, and pulling the engine right now is the last thing I want to do.

Any other ideas? I guess I could drop the oil pan, if I do what should I look for? The pickup was cleaned when I put it back together.

Suggestions?

Maybe a dumb question, but did you check the oil level with the dip-stick? How much oil is in the pan?

Did you make sure 100% that the cam was engaging the oil pump? I'd pull the engine.

If you've started it twice briefly without any circulating oil, its time to pull the engine. If you have thoroughly primed the oil pump by pouring oil into the oil channel that can be accessed by pulling the plug on the side of the block under the exhaust manifold and prefilling the oil filter, and still get no oil pressure on cranking, its time to pull the engine.

Glen Byrns

About only thing I can think of to check without pulling engine at this point is the oil pick up. Is it on tight where it attaches. Sucking air will not work.

Glen_B said:
If you've started it twice briefly without any circulating oil, its time to pull the engine. If you have thoroughly primed the oil pump by pouring oil into the oil channel that can be accessed by pulling the plug on the side of the block under the exhaust manifold and prefilling the oil filter, and still get no oil pressure on cranking, its time to pull the engine.

Glen..plug under the exhaust manifold? I've only tried to prime the pump by putting oil into where the oil filter pipe goes into the block on the Dizzy side of the engine. There's another place?

this is likely a dumb question, but can you prime the pump without turning on the engine? On the 1500, we removed the dizzy and used and electric screwdriver to turn the pump till we got pressure - does the 1275 have this?

There is an access plug on the oil gallery on the left side of the block. Its about a half inch ahead of the backplate and faces up. It has a hex head plug (~1/2"). Pour oil into it, close it quickly and turn it over. DO NOT START THE ENGINE AGAIN WITHOUT OIL PRESSURE!

Good luck,

Glen

Not sure what your problem is, <span style="font-weight: bold">but you shouldn't be trying to start the engine without having first got some oil pressure by taking the plugs out and turning it over until the gauge shows some pressure.</span> (It's probably too late to worry about that now though!)

Re some of the other comments above;

I can't see how you can get the camshaft in without it engaging the pump, it would stick out too far at the front if it didn't engage.

No, you can't turn the oil pump on an A series without the engine turning over as it's on th eback of the camshaft, you'd have to turn the camshaft to be able to turn the pump.

Have you got enough oil in - are you sure you have a 1275 oil pan and dipstick - I can't remember if they are the same for all engine sizes, but if something doesn't match then you might not have enough oil in the sump to cover the oil pick up - get someone else to do a measurement on their engine using a piece of wire instead of the dipstick so that they can measure the oil depth from the bottom of the sump and compare to yours.

Other than that, look slike you'll get some practice in getting the engine out. After a few goes, it'll jump out when you whistle!

"I can't see how you can get the camshaft in without it engaging the pump, it would stick out too far at the front if it didn't engage"

I thought... and again I'm guessing, but it is possible to mess up the star drive version.

The first time out I found it necessary to fill the filter cannister and screw it back on on my 1098. I have never had a problem since.

Mark

spritenut said:
Did you put the star on the oil pump/camshaft?

Just what I was thinking. It shouldn't be all that hard to prime the pump, and if it's not pumping, something major has to be wrong. Minor problems don't cause major effects.

spritenut said:
Did you put the star on the oil pump/camshaft?

HHHmmmmm! Good thought! That's definitely a way of not connecting the shaft to the pump.

When's the engine coming out!

:thumbsup:<span style="font-weight: bold">I've got oil pressure!!! </span>

Thanks to all for your helpfull suggestions but
Glen_B wins the hearty handshake and Cold Pint Award.

Glen_B said:
There is an access plug on the oil gallery on the left side of the block. Its about a half inch ahead of the backplate and faces up. It has a hex head plug (~1/2"). Pour oil into it, close it quickly and turn it over. Good luck

Did like Glen suggested, turned the engine over on the starter and since I had removed the oil filter, within seconds oil was spilling on the floor (where I had placed a bucket).

This weekend I'll be putting back the oil filter holder and the oil filter, checking oil levels, checking for oil pressure on the gauge and hopefully VROOM!!

I had assembled the car with large amounts of assembly lube, so I'll be optimistic about there being no real damage done. Just in case...what should I listen/look for to indicate problems?

Thanks again.

Don't bother to listen for anything. The amount of damage, if any, will be fairly slight. The oil pressure gauge will tell the tale. If the numbers are good, drive on and smile. The rockers are least likely to suffer, the rods get some splash, the mains would be my biggest worry.

Glen

Oil pressure.

ohhh that sounds familair.. But as I remember it theres the Bang then the crunch of gravel from the shoulder of the road followed by chripping birds wind blowing thru barb wire.. 1hour with no traffic ..
Whitewater Montana 1989 / 1968 MGB ...longest 2 days of my life