• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Still being Surprised

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,In my reading and direct involvement with the Austin Healey 3000 for over 50 years, I thought there was very close to nothing I haven’t noticed. Well, I was wrong and very surprised. Today, when reading an article on the BJ8, I saw something obvious for the first time:

The DOOR TOP MOLDING, in form, is a Replication of the FENDER SPEAR.

I know this observation may seem trivial but has anyone else observed this or other surprising uncommonly noticed things about the Big Healey?
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
I'm thinking that they were not all that deep in the design philosophy. Imagine the complexity of the convertible top design/installation if they did not have a flat surface to mount it to on the rear fender/shroud. Roadster tops were much different and were not permanently mounted.

johnea

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've read that it was more of an necessety: because of the angled shape of the door the window could not sink deep enough to disappear completely, hence the extended chrome moulding . . . .

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
You guys are all correct but I think you are over thinking this thread. I appreciate the purpose of the door top extension and the chrome pieces used to dress it up but, stand back and look at it. I may be stretching it but I now see a natural, not exact, connection between the chrome designed to dress the door top extension (which extends back to above the rear fender) and the spear.

Whether you agree or not with my perception, the purpose of the thread was to see what some may have found, when working on or driving their Healeys that they hadn’t noticed before and surprised them. We have all delved deeply into our cars and many know every nut, bolt, background, and purpose in/for its construction. So, are there no more surprises? Hope not.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I just realized yesterday that my 63 BJ-7 has 4 tail lamps instead of 2 lamps and 2 reflectors. It is a German delivery vehicle and I knew about the extra lamps in the front but didn't realize that the rear had extra as well. The car is a project and in several pieces and various stages of rust.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have been in the arts for many years. That doesn't mean squat, I know. But I've always admired even the subtle changes made to the Healey through out its life and yes, in this particular case how the side profile modification of the 1962 to the 1963, or case in point, from side curtains to roll up windows. If it was intended to supplement or compliment the fender spear, other than an overall design, I would be surprised. My eyes always told me the chrome molding was a symbolic design and solution to the novel idea of adding roll up windows and also introducing more of a straight line design approach of that era (as also seen with American cars during the early sixties--ie. Caddy fins, transformation of curve lines vs. straight). This molding does make a powerful statement, a representation of the newly incorporated functional design of the roll up window as well as to maintain the flow of the door's curvy profile. I always pretended I was the designer and was put forth the challenge of, "Okay, to sell more cars we need roll up windows". Such a solution always involves maintaining that level of aesthetics we have come to love in the Healey and incorporating a new innovation and make it work, mechanically and aesthetically, even if it's an old idea.

Another test, envision removing the spear. And better yet, remove it visually from the 1962 and then the 1963. How would your eyes behave then about the molding's relationship to the spear (or lack of)?

That is my one opinion. Now, unless you can tell me this article or the designer of the Healey says the molding is a replication of the spear, then I will bow and step aside and say I am all wet! Otherwise, the Healey, which I have come to love just to look at, is like any good work of art where the picture does say a thousand words.