• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil coolers still needed with newer oils?

artmck

I was wondering if the MGB oil coolers are still recommended with the newer cooler running oils. I recently read an article that without naming the MGB, intimated that the coolers can cause trouble by cooling the oil too much since it was designed when oil quality was much poorer.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
There has been some discussion as to the benefits or otherwise of using thinner, synthetic oils in older engines not designed for them, and with larger clearances than modern cars. While I don't want to take sides in that discussion but will let you form your own opininon, I do have a suggestion.
There is a thermostat available which bypasses the cooler until the oil reaches a certain temperature, so the oil warms up quicker.
If you often take short trips this should help with any type of oil.
Simon.

Bret

Yoda
I hadn’t heard that an oil cooler equipped engine would have a problem with the newer synthetic oils. But unless I missed something – I can’t believe they’d run that much cooler than normal oils. If there was any improvement over conventional oils in helping keep engines cooler I don’t believe it would be significant. Lease ways I don’t believe you’d be able to tell the difference other than a slight difference in the intervals when the radiator fan(s) kick on.

But if your are really worried about it keep the oil cooler in place and just buy a cover for it for the winter months. That way you could always remove it in warmer weather.

dklawson

Yoda
I don't know what oils MGBs normally run... but my Mini and Triumph run 20W50. I'd be seriously concerned about running any "new formulated" oils if they were much thinner than that as I doubt the thinner oils could maintain a suitable oil pressure when at normal operating temperature. Even if the new formulated oils can carry heat away from an engine better, they will thin out as they heat up. That may be OK in an engine designed to use thinner oils to start with but it's a scary thought regarding my 40 year old cars.

Bret

Yoda
I believe even the new oils have the same grading system.

So if you ran a 30W, a multi grad 10W-40 conventional oil or anything inbeteen and switched to a synthetic of the same grads you shouldn’t have a problem. The grading has to do with the viscosity of the oil cold & under heat. I believe the selling point of the synthetics is that they hold their viscosity better than conventional oils.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
My personal .02 is if you're worried about the oil getting too cool, use one of the thermostatically controlled oil cooler setups - the you should have the best of both worlds!

dklawson

Yoda
Do they make a 20W50 synthetic? It's been years since I looked at them but I remember that the grades were generally thinner and lighter than what I normally would run.
Many years ago in one of my (non-British) daily drivers I ran Mobile-1. At that time the wisdom was to run a lighter weight oil than you normally would as the synthetics offered better protection than traditional oils and the lower viscosity would return better fuel economy. What is encouraged now?

Bret

Yoda
Actually there are a number of companies that make a 20W50 Synthetic. Now I don't know for sure if there is a synthetic equivalent for every single grade of conventional motor oil on the market. But I would assume that there is some equivalent by now.

Basically in a nut shell synthetic motor oils are more stable than conventional oils. They are less susceptible to drastic temperature changes and hold their viscosity better.

For more information on the differences between regular over the counter oils and synthetics, check out this article by Hot Rod Magazine. Seems to be a pretty good write up on it.

Follow the link: Hot Rod Tech - Synthetic is it worth it?

If there is one thing to take away from that article it is that most multi-grade motor oils already have synthetic additives in them.

Anyway are synthetics the way to go for every engine? Depends on a lot of things, but ultimately it all comes down to what you want. Personally I run regular multi grade motor oil in my B’s engine as I don’t require anything better right now. However I might consider synthetics after I finish my engine build-up.