• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Starting problem

rpalena

Freshman Member
I took advantage of the mid-70's temp today and drove down the shore (that's a Philly saying). Went a few places, and the car was better than ever. However, after one stop to do some shopping, the wife and I returned to find that the car wouldn't start. Turned the key and no cranking - fuel pump ticked away, electricals all seemed to be working. I eventually pushed the car started. We drove home, no issues. Once home, I tried to start the car and... you guessed it, it turned right over. Any thoughts?

Kimberly

Jedi Trainee
Faulty connection with white/red wire circuit from the ignition switch, a faulty component in the starting circuit, dirty battery cable ends, battery starting to fail, faulty connection with the brown circuit, solenoid, relay, bad bushings in the starter, an ignition switch wearing out, etc.

That's the problem with intermittent problems is that they are fixed intermittently.

G

I just had that problem with my '72 "B" and being not too agile at my age with stiff joints and not wanting to pull the starter twice I ordered the starter solenoid since I could hear the solenoid relay under the hood clicking and there was no heavy load like the starter motor trying to go. I also got the voltages from the starter solenoid relay like I should. Well, when I went to pull the starter I found the small wire from the relay had fallen off the spade lug on the solenoid. It was loose on there before because it started off being intermittant and worked again for more than a week after the initial malfunction.
I went ahead and put the new solenoid on there anyway and squeezed the spade lug a little tighter and shoved it back on and that was that. It is working fine now.
Bob

OP
R

rpalena

Freshman Member
Thanks Bob and Kimberly - I was thinking starter but now I think I'll concentrate on the ignition switch wiring. A new voltage regulator may be a wise precaution.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Bob and Kimberly - I was thinking starter but now I think I'll concentrate on the ignition switch wiring. A new voltage regulator may be a wise precaution.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your other electricals are working and battery is up, I don't think the voltage regulator would be necessary. Give the wireing a good check from the ignition switch all the way down to the starter. In fact, since there is more vibration, weather etc. down there, it might be better to start at the starter wireing which is where the solenoid is.
Another thought just came to mind. When you stopped for awhile then came back and it wouldn't start, maybe the starter just jammed temporarily in the flywheel when you tried to start it and by putting it in 4th and rocking the car back and forth forward and reverse maybe you could have unjammed it. Worth a try next time it happens.
Bob

dklawson

Yoda
As others have suggested, focus your attention on the solenoid and the white/red wire to it. Don't start changing parts that you don't know to be bad. Change one thing at a time. DO NOT change a whole bunch of things at once. Apart from being expensive, it makes it hard to troubleshoot later.

Old solenoids (particularly aftermarket ones) burn their internal contacts over time. Listen carefully when you turn the ignition key. If you don't hear a heavy click, focus on the white/red wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid. If you hear a click but the starter doesn't turn over dig out your jumper cables and head to the solenoid. With the car in neutral, take one side (black or red... but only one color) of the jumper cables and tap them across the big lugs on the solenoid. (The cables will be replacing the solenoid contacts in this test). It will throw some sparks but don't be scared... this is normal. If the starter spins, replace the solenoid. If the starter fails to turn over, look for problems in the starter.

[ QUOTE ]
... It will throw some sparks but don't be scared... this is normal.....

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

mark