• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Healey starting problem

bradal

Jedi Hopeful
My '59 BT-7 refuses to do anything when the starter button is pushed. I have previously replaced the primary cable from battery to the solenoid and I have most recently tried a new battery. Is there any easy way to test whether the problem is the solenoid or the starter itself? AL Bradley

bighly

Jedi Knight
Have you checked the battery cutoff switch. This part goes bad very commonly.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Al,
You can bridge the actual heavy solenoid terminals themselves if you are careful. A heavy short screwdriver works well. If it cranks this would eliminate the starter, battery, cables, ground switch, & connections. The only thing left then, is the solenoid itself or the solenoid actuating circuits. As was said, the battery disconnect switch is a frequent source of problems. A jumper cable from battery to frame would eliminate this possibility.
D

OP
B

bradal

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks to you both for the timely responses. Dave, I have seen people bridge the solenoid as you describe before, but I am a bit afraid of arc-welding things to my car! It sounds like that is the way to go, though, so I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks again to you and Bighly. AL

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've had this happen a couuple times, particulary if I hadnt used the car. It sounds stupid, but I just cleaned up and tightened the connections on the solenoid and thats all it was.
cheers

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thats great Derek, I was a bit concerned that you might weld yourself to the car!---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dklawson

Yoda
I've never used plier or a screwdriver to jumper over a solenoid for the exact reason you mention about welding and arcs. When I've had to do this I've used one "side" of a set of jumper cables. That way, I can clip onto one terminal (usually the terminal directly on the starter) and then just tap the other end of the cable to the hot solenoid terminal. You're much less likely to hurt anything that way.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
DoughL,Me thinks you very smart fellow.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've never used plier or a screwdriver to jumper over a solenoid for the exact reason you mention about welding and arcs. When I've had to do this I've used one "side" of a set of jumper cables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell you how many times I done this...this was almost a 2nd key...works real well on vintage cars...yet at the time...when I was doing it...they were not called vintage...yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Not if the main solenoid contacts are defective as they sometimes are. From the above comments, I guess I should qualify my previous screwdriver suggestion by saying, if you are clumsy or have poor eyesight or slow reflexes, don't try it. The object is to make a firm, quick contact. Not fumble around timidly.
D

dklawson

Yoda
Tahoe, are you talking about the pushbutton on the round bodied Lucas solenoids? I've had some problems with these lately. The replacement ones on the market must be made in 3rd-world countries as their quaility is VERY poor. I've had two fail in two years. I've opened the failed ones up to discover badly burned contacts and or a contact that's fallen off the solenoid slug itself. On more than one occasion I've had the solenoid contacts weld shut when I used the pushbutton... leaving the car cranking and cranking until I could pull the ground terminal off the battery. Why this has not happened during a key-start I don't know, but I'm beginning to not like the round body solenoids with pushbuttons.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes TH, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif that is a safer method of testing this circuit. There is a button on the back side of the solenoid that will let you manualy close the circuit.You may need a light bulb or a volt meter to separate a faulty solenoid from a defective starter or open starter control circuit.But you won't risk welding youself to the car.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never used plier or a screwdriver to jumper over a solenoid for the exact reason you mention about welding and arcs. When I've had to do this I've used one "side" of a set of jumper cables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell you how many times I done this...this was almost a 2nd key...works real well on vintage cars...yet at the time...when I was doing it...they were not called vintage...yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep Henri ,but nobody told you actually what that key fit!!---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Country flag
I've never had a problem with it (last time I said something like that my battery shut off went out the next day). I work it hard when I'm adjusting the valves. If it does lock up, you can shut off the battery switch until you fix it.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TH,Silence is golden so they say! OH! if the solenoid sticks just whack it with the "handle" on the screw driver---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

protect you eyes,and remember to remove your 'rolex'and any other metal jewelry you might have on when you begin rummaging around 12 V d.c.always!!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
AW Antyhony 12 VDC ain't gonna kill you but it might burn you to deaf.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dklawson

Yoda
I think Anthony's worried about getting the watch, ring, etc. stuck as a shunt in a high-current circuit (like the starter) and welded in place. That could burn you. A buddy of mine from high-school went off to join the army where he worked on big trucks with 24 volt circuits. His co-worker dropped a wrench across the battery (+) terminal to chassis ground. It melted in half before they could even think of knocking it off the terminal.

BlackHealey

My wife's watch melted and part of it burned her wrist when we were installing the rear hatch panel on a BN6 last year. The amazing thing is, all she said was "ouch, this hurts, can you take my watch off?
Me, I would have been screaming bloody murder, like a little child. She is fine now, only a minor scar. Women definitely have a higher tolerance of pain than men. Remember, always take your jewelry off when working on cars.
BTW, the watch kept ticking and never skipped a beat. Wasn't a Timex!