• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spridget Race-PVGP

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OK....the "Spridgets Reunion" was billed as a race for all cars that were "powered by the "A" series Spridget engine".

Which my car is not.

But they let me race anyway!

~Click Here~ for more about my adventures at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix at BeaveRun.

And for all you non-clickers (yes, I *know* you're out there), here's a picture of my car just as it had passed 6 cars at the Start of the race
(I started Last Place by choice.....with all those 948s, it's more fun! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif )

vrg-spridgets-07-1.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Like Puffed Rice, Nial! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Shot from guns!"

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif
I, am very jealous, good stuff Nial!
BTW, where did you place?

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I was squeezed by another driver in a Midget (a rookie, I think). I was mid-pack and leading him into a high speed turn when he tried to sneak inside (even though, technically, I already "had" the turn). It was poor judgement on his part, but what can you do?

And, by then, I had popped a rear wheel cylinder, so no rear brakes of any sort.

Anyway, since vintage racing is "non-contact", I veered off into the grass (at about a 100), clipping a "distance left" turn-marker (it guillotined my left mirror). Since I'd had four wheels off, I had to come in a speak to the Marshall.

~Him: "Are you OK?"
~Me: "Yes!"
~Him: "Then get the heck back out there!"

But I was a half-lap down. I still had fun racing some of the quicker 948s. An open-wheel Gemini (with a 948) *just* got by me at the finish. Good fun!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Guess I've missed something all along - what'cha got under that hood, Nial?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Get Hap to build you an engine Tony. Heck you know the expert.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
tony barnhill said:
Guess I've missed something all along - what'cha got under that hood, Nial?

Tony:

My car is really a '78 1500 rubber-bumper Midget, with the 1500 "Spitfire" engine. I've got about 100 race hours on the block, so I can't really complain. I drive it pretty gently, keeping it under 5800 (except in fourth). I'd like something that will *spin*. A decent 1275 will turn 7000 easy, so I've been looking for one for a while.

Other than the motor, my car is "sort of" vintage legal because it is backdated in appearance with old style Sprite fenders
(actually, it only has three...one front fender is a '77 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif )

I bought a 1275 motor not long ago (actually, an entire car) and I am building the engine for vintage.

When I put the 1275 in, it will be fully vintage legal (or at least it will be when I put that other "old" front fender on).

I'll probably put the 1500 in a '73 street "rat" I'm also building.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I made Miss Agatha look at the pics of Bugeyes, I think she is a bit lonly for her own kind and I want her to feel good about herself.

Nice pics, enjoyed, surely wish there was some place local where this happened.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
[/quote] I'll probably put the 1500 in a '73 street "rat" I'm also building. [/quote]

Of course now that I look for it I can't find it but in the last couple of weeks there was a Rat Rod on ebay that as I recall was a Fairlady - it was pretty sharp. Did anyone else see it?

H82WRK

vrg-bvrun-07-48.jpg

For some reason this picture cracks me up, it looks like that one car is like "oooo" he is catching up with me and that Bugeye looks very happy out there. I wish I had a Bugeye so bad!

I still can't believe you were going 100 MPH, I drive 50 in my car and I feel very dangerous. Now a Vette at a 100 no biggie but you have to have pretty big ones to drive that little car that fast, wow!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

duplaga1952

hey i was there . as. a F & C volunteer. i tagged along w/ my daughter and son in law . their 5th time my 1st

i was at station #9 where you pulled off . they said you broke a spindel was that right? the weekend was a great experiance. met a bunch of nice and frendly sports car fans. and went around the track in the orange TR6. topped out at 90. i ve got about 50 pix , i'd post but need help from youngest kid.

did you do the race in the city of pittsburge this past weekend ?

hope to do more vintage races , had fun. beaver run is a nice place

bob

Bugeye58

Yoda
H82WRK said:
vrg-bvrun-07-48.jpg

For some reason this picture cracks me up, it looks like that one car is like "oooo" he is catching up with me and that Bugeye looks very happy out there. I wish I had a Bugeye so bad!

Rachael, those are both Bugeyes! The white one is a Sebring Sprite.
Jeff

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
duplaga1952 said:
hey i was there . as. a F & C volunteer. i tagged along w/ my daughter and son in law . their 5th time my 1st
i was at station #9 where you pulled off . they said you broke a spindel was that right? the weekend was a great experiance. met a bunch of nice and frendly sports car fans. and went around the track in the orange TR6. topped out at 90. i ve got about 50 pix , i'd post but need help from youngest kid.

did you do the race in the city of pittsburge this past weekend ?
bob

No, #11 never broke anything or pulled off the track (except at about 100, but I got right back on)...are you thinking of the red Midget that went off? There was another green one...maybe that one?
I did have brake problems, but that never kept me from running /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

I had three broken axles at this event last year, so I'm real glad I didn't have any problems!

I did not race in the city race, but Michael did (in his white #92 Elva).
Glad you had a good time! BeaveRun is a neat track!

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Nial, by default, you just helped me out.....
I was trying to measure out where a roll bar would go, keeping above 2" from my helmeted head.
Seeing your pictures (again, and dreaming), I notice you are sat lower, obviously a race seat; so instead of trying to ~raise~ a roll bar, I'll just lower my (stock) seat!
Thanks!
BTW Have fun at Pocono.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Barry, I've also built lowered seat pans that replaces a section of the floor to drop the helmet height, but that may be more permanent than you'd like

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
That'll work for 'another tub' Chris - heh heh.
For this one, I did put extra wood under the rails over the winter (because I couldn't reach the pedal) so by removing all that, and some seat foam, I should be good.