• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tires for vintage race spridget?

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
So far with my hybrid vintage/SCCA spridget project I'm up to 2 sets of wheels, seeking 3rd set, either 5.5 or 6 x 13. Have radial rains for use in both series, two sets of slicks for SCCA (discontinued Hoosiers at a price I could not turn down). But what is the best DOT tire for use on spridgets which is accepted by major vintage race organizations? I know that 13" tires are getting hard to find - suggestions appreciated. Thanks for input

Grampy

Freshman Member
Hi BuggerAll
I'm doing somewhat the same as you. I've got Hoosier slicks for SCCA and purchased Hoosier Street TD P185 60 D 13 for vintage from Bob Woodman here in SC. I'm curious to what your doing to your motor and what your using for ignition.

Glenn (grampy)

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm very happy with Toyo R888s.
I've also run Toyo RA1s.....another good choice.
Both are 185/60-13 size.

The R888 is about $5 more but it doesn't need to be shaved.

You can buy them -HERE-

OP
B

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks, Aeronca. I'll take a peek - and any line on a nice set of used rims you get, I'd appreciate dropping a line.
Grampy - for ignition I'm going to use a Pertronix flamethrower distributor. I had one on my street Bugeye before I converted it to crank trigger megajolt (and unwisely sold the flamethrower), but with the pertronix coil it seemed to be a good unit. With a race engine the most important thing is the total advance, if you are running your engine between 4000 and 7000 rpm, as a limited prep 1275 is set up to run, you should be at full advance throughout that range, which will be from 31 to 33 degrees BTDC. Other things I've done to engine: full prep rods (Hap), Venolia pistons, aluminim flywheel, modified clutch cover, solid center disc from WC, Cooper S damper, gilmer drive water pump with 4 1/4 inch pulley, nitrided crank, head flowed (you may have to go through a dozen 1316 heads to find a real good one - Hap can do this, or George Bauchman in Ohio, waisted stainless valves (yes, they are legal, they're pictured in the factory manual), secret LP cam, APT lifters, vernier cam drive. I spent a bunch of money back in March when the dollar was high against the pound buyiong stuff from Minisport, that's paying off -

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
Most of the Spridget guys are using Street TDs, but from what I've seen on the MGB's we compete against, go with the Toyo R888's or Kumho V700's as they are heaps faster (cheaper and longer lasting too). There are a couple different compounds on the Toyos, so while they are fast in the 15" size, they might be importing them in a harder or softer compound for the 13" size. It would be best to do some research before you bought a set.

It might be easier to go with the bias ply Street TD's,as you won't have to change your suspension set up much compared to a bias-ply slick. (Radials like 2.5-3 degrees of negative camber).

A big thing if switching from cantilever SCCA slicks to say DOT rubber, is the fact the DOT rubber loves negative camber the more you can give it, the better it likes it, 3-4 degrees is optimal with the DOT rubber, the cantilever slick however with their brick hard sidewall, won't roll over under cornering, so they require a lot less negative camber more like 1-1.5 degrees. The trick might be to run the stock upper trunnion with the WC offset bushing for SCCA, and then get a set of Peter May offset upper trunnions for vintage. I've got a set of those for my vintage Spridget project.

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
What about the Dunlop 15" bias vintage race tires? Are they any good?

OP
B

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
How is that R888 as a rain tire? Looks like a dry-track only. R1 looks like it might be the better rain rubber - any other recommendations? Also, can you fit the Kumho 235/45 on a Sprite? Thanks -

OP
B

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks, Aeronca, I'll look later (no You-tube at work!) - given my budget and plans, there will be only one set of rains for both vintage and SCCA, so R888s it is...finally scored my third set of wheels, some vintage real Minilites.

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Hey-
Here is a link to a VSCDA race in my Bugeye this past August. I run a 1275 motor-Petronix Ignition, and the Hoosier Street Td tires..(On a nice set of Superlites from Hap!) I love how the car handles..I run 1.5 degrees of front camber and around 18psi in the front and rear tires. They are predictable..I race 6 times per year and get 1 year out of a set. They love to slide...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxx_a7wvcBk

OP
B

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
Just had my guys pick up the R888s from a local dealer in Michigan, had him come down to the Frisby's price plus ship, so that worked out okay. Those Hoosiers are bias-ply, no? Guess that's why the low pressure, that's in race slick pressure range. will look at the youtube later -