• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Selling a Healey

BionicHealey

I came to realize I cannot finish my Healey.
It is totally disassembled and have no idea what to ask for it.
Any suggestions or advice will be helpful.

It is a 1966 3000 Mk III

Thanks,

Mark

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Projects are best sold when they are well documented on what you have and don't have and the condition of what you have. Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Through the power of the internet you can make a list of every Healey, including projects, that is listed for sale in the US as well as the auction price for projects that have been sold. This would be a good starting point to give you a feel for the value of your project car.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I just paid $4,000 for a BJ8 that is complete and together but straight and restorable with the original engine. I'd be interested in yours if you don't want the hassle of advertising it. Kevin

richberman

Jedi Warrior
I'm in PA an also might be interested...pictures and a story would be very helpful. You can PM me. Where in PA are you?
rich

OP
BionicHealey

BionicHealey

It is I have owned the car since the 70s and it has been stored inside nearly all the time since.
basically a solid car, but so not to hide anything, I will list any areas that will need extra work.

The major exterior body parts have been sandblasted and the aluminum was hand stripped. The chassis has been painted over but never touched otherwise.

Rocker panels need replaced but the inner fender wells are dented but solid.

There is a used right rear wing with minor damage to replace a bad one. The other wings are good, as are the doors. I’m not claiming they are perfect, just need minor work. The boot is the worst, it is solid, but has had putty on it that will need replaced.

The shrouds are OK. There is some repaired damage on the right front around the parking lights.

Sorry there are no close ups of the panels. I will have to get them down from the loft if you want pics.

The engine has not run for many years, but I did oil the cylinders. I’m going to try to pull the head to take pics. It was rebuilt when I bought it from a Forgien car repair garage. Brought it home, installed the engine and would drive it around the block occasionally unfinished until it was put in storage.

I included a few pictures soon.

I can answer more questions if you have any and thanks for the interest.

Country flag
Disclaimers: SWAGs follow.

Assuming you have 100% of parts (or at least not missing any hard-to-replace items):

P2 BJ8's are one of the most 'desirable' Healeys based on market value (I know, it's a matter of opinion, but we're talking $$$). From your description, it would be worth $10-12K and maybe more depending on how hard you work to sell it and how much time you have. There are a couple 'restorers'--I won't mention any names--that specialize in selling tarted-up cars (esp. BJ8s) who would love to have this car, but they will almost certainly low-ball you badly.

If you have the time and inclination, you might get more by parting it out on eBay (decent shrouds alone can fetch a couple grand, but shipping would be a hassle). Most of us here would prefer you sell it 'as is' to a good home.

If you don't have clear title you may have no choice but to part it out.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Bob_Spidell said:
Disclaimers: SWAGs follow.

Assuming you have 100% of parts (or at least not missing any hard-to-replace items):

P2 BJ8's are one of the most 'desirable' Healeys based on market value (I know, it's a matter of opinion, but we're talking $$$). From your description, it would be worth $10-12K and maybe more depending on how hard you work to sell it and how much time you have. There are a couple 'restorers'--I won't mention any names--that specialize in selling tarted-up cars (esp. BJ8s) who would love to have this car, but they will almost certainly low-ball you badly.

If you have the time and inclination, you might get more by parting it out on eBay (decent shrouds alone can fetch a couple grand, but shipping would be a hassle). Most of us here would prefer you sell it 'as is' to a good home.

If you don't have clear title you may have no choice but to part it out.
I disagree with the title.
My car had a title with vin ID tags to match but after looking at the shock tower it was clearly wrong. I am able to prove ownership and the shock tower vin along with engine serial number and I will be able to get a corrected title AFTER car is "road ready".

Country flag
My understanding is it varies from state to state; some can be reasonable about it, some not (or it may vary from DMV clerk to DMV clerk), hence '... MAY have no choice ...'.

Note also this gentleman does not intend to make his car 'road ready;' i.e. he's selling a basket case.

Apparently, you were are not able to get a title before the car is on the road? What did you have to do to 'prove ownership?'

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Bob_Spidell said:
My understanding is it varies from state to state; some can be reasonable about it, some not (or it may vary from DMV clerk to DMV clerk), hence '... MAY have no choice ...'.

Note also this gentleman does not intend to make his car 'road ready;' i.e. he's selling a basket case.

Apparently, you were are not able to get a title before the car is on the road? What did you have to do to 'prove ownership?'
My car has been registered in my name in Texas for over 30 years. Texas requires the car to be road ready I guess to show it is not a parts car, etc. or"?", before they can issue a clear title. They can change only two numbers, but not 5. The shock tower vin, plus engine serial # still on the engine, key #, etc., plus the Heritage certificate, is enough, and maybe my clean record(?). Had I known beforehand about the vin numbers and proceedures I would have taken care of it a long long time ago.

I found out the correct vin, etc., working with Steve Byers. I think I'm less than a year away before the car is back on the road from a frame-up. Chassis done, body shop in May, Heritage interior after that, etc., etc.

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
My father and I purchased a '65 BJ8 that had a complete body restoration, including paint, sitting on a restored suspension. Everything else was in boxes, which also included thousands of dollars in new parts. Paid less than $15,000. This was in 2008.