• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sad ending for this Triumph & driver

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hard to feel anything at all for the woman who did this.

So sad.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
What a terrible story.

As the guy on Hill Street Blues used to say to the officers before heading out for duty....."Let's all be careful out there".

I find myself looking around me more than I ever did when I'm driving either car these days. Someday I hope to find it enjoyable and carefree again, as it once was.

JohnB

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I literally live around the corner from the accident site and travel that location almost every day, although not in my TR2.

That road is one of the safest in the area. Straight for half a mile, nice and wide with large bike lanes. But none of that helps when fools drive like this.

Came upon the scene about an hour after the accident and was re-routed around the block to get home. Paper says Spitfire but looks more like a TR4 in the photo. When I saw it, it was covered with a tarp so I couldn't tell.

I can't think of a worse way to go than upside down in a burning car. Todays article says witnesses could hear the poor soul calling for help!

Girl has been arrested for manslaughter, but only got $50K bail!

BE CAREFUL PLEASE!!!!!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A horrible accident... I feel bad for his family.

D

DougF

Awful. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

The woman, at 28, has a long life ahead of her to remember the utter stupidity of that moment.

It's a TR6. The story really hits home.

PeterK

Yoda
Horrible.

Now I'll carry a fire extinguisher and going to wire in a inertia switch and manual OFF for the fuel pump.

Just horrific to think about. Poor soul lost.

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That is just terrible...

OP
G

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was just wondering....Those you you with no roll bars... how many of you wear a seat belt? From my college days I knew of a LBC driver who was wearing a seat belt and no roll bar who rolled over and died because he had the belt on and MAY have survived if thrown clear. Thus...for 50 years I have driven the LBC with no lap belts...and only put them in this year so my grandkids could legally ride with me. Just curious about the rest of you....with no roll bar...belts or no belts? (not that this would have saved this poor chap!) Gil NoCal

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gil,
I wear my belt because it is the law in PA. And also because I'm actually very uncomfortable if I don't feel the seat belt on me while in any car. Plus I slide too much on the Spit's vinyl seats.

tomshobby

Yoda
This is a terrible accident. No good seems to be found in it for any of those involved.

I did roll a TR4 with no roll bar in the 60's. The short story is that while the car was airborne I released my seat belt, opened the door and got out. That action surly saved my life. The car rolled three times before landing on its wheels.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Seat belt here, Gil (and no roll bar). Still a safety improvement even if it may not be the best in a rollover -- there are lots of other accident types where it will help.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Somehow I really doubt that rollovers are more than a TINY percentage of accidents. Not wearing a seatbelt because of rollovers seems to be worrying about a rare accident type and putting yourself at risk for the majority of likely accidents.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Also, unless you have a full race-type roll cage, I doubt most of the roll bars would do much to protect you in a roll over. Maybe if the car was gently tipped over it might hold up, but the kind of speed and forces needed to roll the car over would likely just rip the bar off.

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
Exactly what Darrell said, the vast majority of 'roll bars' attached to clasic cars are more or less nothing but decorative. Unless you actually bolt through the frame and with plates and whatnot, you're not adding any structural rigidness in the case of a rollover. That was why I never put a bar in my TR6 (and now a bar would not work in the hathaway hunter)

I do however always always wear a seatbelt no matter where i'm going.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Darrell_Walker said:
Also, unless you have a full race-type roll cage, I doubt most of the roll bars would do much to protect you in a roll over. Maybe if the car was gently tipped over it might hold up, but the kind of speed and forces needed to roll the car over would likely just rip the bar off.

:iagree:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
70herald said:
Not wearing a seatbelt because of rollovers seems to be worrying about a rare accident type and putting yourself at risk for the majority of likely accidents.

We've had this argument before, I'm not really trying to reopen it. But I have personally been involved in a moderate number of accidents over the years, including my TR3A getting totalled in a 4-car collision, and wearing a seat belt would not have been an advantage in a single one of them. And in one of them, wearing a seat belt would very likely have subjected me to serious injury; while I escaped with only a minor bruise without one.

I was riding in my Mom's station wagon when she got T-boned by a Buick likely doing over 70 mph. The impact pushed the entire side of the wagon in, and crumpled the seat where I was sitting. A lap belt would have cut me in half. Without it, I was just thrown across the car, up against my Mom in the driver's seat. My shoulder was bruised where the crumpled door hit it. BTW, the wagon was also thrown clear across the intersection and up into the yard of the house opposite. We later found grass inside one of the tires!

My Dad was also involved in an accident that likely would have cost him his life IF he had been wearing a seat belt. Lost control of the car in the fog and ran into a pole barn. The 12" log that formed the eave of the roof came through the center of the windshield and took out the steering wheel and B-post on the driver's side. Dad escaped with some minor cuts, where he dove into the broken glass in the passenger's side floor. With only milliseconds to duck when he saw the log coming, I doubt he could have found the buckle and released the belt quickly enough.

Seats belts are certainly an advantage in some accidents, but not even the majority of likely accidents IMO. But then, I'm not in the habit of driving into stationary objects, so YMMV :smile: