• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A Sad Story

T

Tinster

Please make sure there is room for Pedro
in that container. I'll even pay for Pedro's
airplane ticket, one way, to Miami!! I know
exactly how that poor fellow feels.

pedro1.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yep, I feel sorry for the guy, but his parting shot wasn't particularly helpful!

Mickey

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
I agree. His comment is not appropriate. I travel extensively outside the USA and I encounter plenty of ugly americans, but in general this is the exception, not the rule. The troll in Miami should be reported to the BBB. This Dutch guy got jipped but he must have too many euro's if he didn't think of having an independent agent check out this TR first. There are firms that specialize in this type of work. Just my 2 cents.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
---------------------------Noblesse Oblige--Keoke

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Ah, this is popping up everywhere! The hapless buyer sincerely regrets, and has apologized (at least to me) for, his remark about Americans.

Certainly, he (or anyone else in a similar situation) should have found some way to have the car independently inspected before completing the deal...and I suspect he will do so in the future! But as I noted on another Triumph-related e-mail list, this is an area where it would be great to have Triumph club (and "virtual" clubs such as e-mail lists and forums) members volunteer, as they might be able, to offer some sort of inspection. I've done it on a few occasions purely on my own and have allowed sellers to use (judiciously) some of my comments.

Of course, there's always the liability issues, I suppose, but then I don't charge anyone when I do this a: because it's usually for a Herald or Sports 6 and to satisfy my own curiosity; and b: by not charging I figure my advice is probably worth at least as much as someone paid for it (which should reduce my liability somewhat)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

D

DougF

We can't be too cautious these days. I was scammed on ebay a couple of years ago. My own fault. I responded to an email that appeared to be from ebay, but wasn't.
Several auctions were under way on my name, but fortunately were stopped by ebay before I ended up paying for the transactions.
Another scary note, did anyone pay attention to this fellows tow vehicle?

tomshobby

Yoda
I worked in the used car business as a mechanic for a dealer for a few years. We worked hard to maintain a good reputation. During that experience I saw things most would never believe.

There were many times that we got took even though we knew the business and what to look for. There is an underlying belief by a large part of the population that it is OK to pull a fast one when selling a horse or an automobile. In fact the bigger the scam the heartier the laugh.

If some of these experiences seem bad, you should see what "honest" citizens try and pull on dealers. And if they can get took think how easy it is to cheat amateurs.

All I can say is be careful. Look for everything you can think of and things you would never dream of. Get the most experienced person you know and trust to look at the vehicle for you. And make a list of the things you want to inspect before looking at the vehicle. Get a copy of your State's vehicle inspection sheet and follow that. The shiny paint and dreams of how good you will look behind the wheel will cloud your judgment and help the dishonest seller. NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE VEHICLE LOOKS FOLLOW THESE INSPECTION LISTS. An honest seller will not mind.

Remember at all times that it is your money being spent. (And that this is not the only vehicle available)

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
I saw this too, and e-mailed a message of support to the buyer. He said that he was sorry about his final comment, but is now determined to restore the car with the help of his neighbour.
I agree with Andy. I recently purchased a car that was about 500 miles away. I put a post on a Triumph club forum asking if anyone in the area could check it out for me. One kind person did so and I would be very happy to do the same if asked.
Isn't that the sort of thing that club members should do for each other?

D

Deleted member 3577

Got this from him after I e-mailed him about being cheeted.
Sounds like a nice fellow.....I'd be upset also If this happened to me.

Thanx for the mental support

Many thanx to all you people who have reacted to my unfortunate Triumph TR 250 deal.
First I should say that I'm sorry about the America comment I concluded my description with.
There is no excuse, even if I felt greatly let down.

All your reactions are heart warming. The car is inside my house now (I live in an old monastery) and will get as much attention as possible over the winter. Fortunately a guy across the street (who has just restored a TR3A) is a retired panelbeater, so he will have his work cut for him.

Of course there are more important things in life than cars (are there?) and I own a few more classic Triumphs as well as a BMW 2002 and a Jag S-type.

Apology and greetings

Ben Schoonbeek
The Netherlands

By the way the car was purchased from:

The Car Collection llc
vintage car dealer
licensed and bonded
1935 ne 153rd street north miami beach fl. 33 162
AJ - manager

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
maybe it's just me,...but if I was this guy that was burnt for $14,000 I'd already have a flight to Miami booked. I'd find this "Collector Car Dealer's" place of business and he would either give my money back, or I'd take it back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

We can do this the easy way or the hard way, but either way I'm getting my satisfaction! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That's about as empty as the deal on the car in question. And I can see why....

Kirk_Fisher

Jedi Hopeful
We have his number, sounds like it is time that we all give him a call.

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
This whole story is starting to sound very confusing to me. I read above that the purchaser has decided to restore the TR250 with the help of his retired panelbeater friend. Yet, I see the car on ebay motors up for sale. What happened to restoring it????. Unless I have this wrong, within a matter of several days, he went from restoring it to listing it on ebay. Whatever really happened, I'm not sure, but I hope all parties involved work it out fairly. I for one am very sick and tired of the scams that are being pulled on people over the internet with car transactions. Good Luck to all concerned.