• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A sad day for me.

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Well, I had to make the very tough decision to sell my GT this past weekend. She is just too much for me right now. I've never sold a car before, as I always get too attached. A lot of my car buddies buy and sell cars like it's their job, but I'm not like that. I'm going to miss the heck out of my beautiful black GT. She's just sitting in my driveway with a sign on her but I feel like she's already gone. Still, I feel very privileged to have Charlotte and Jewel around. I'm very lucky in that sense. Anyone care to let me know about MGs they sold and wished they still had? It would certainly help me feel better.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Geez, Cam. I can relate. I "adopt" 'em. Very rarely have I sold one of MY cars. Two of the B's out of four I've owned. The Lotus Cortina of the three examples of Lotus cars (hate myself for that'n, still), one GTV of three I've had. They are usually "family" once I've gone thru 'em. I got the S3 Elan in 1971 and it now resides in my garage awaiting a money transfusion. <span style="font-style: italic">SELL</span> it?!?! <insert bastardised Charelton Heston quote here>

I feel for ya, man... but if it gets you past a "barrier" to going forward, consider it a -necessary evil- and move on.

Steve_S

Yoda
I feel your pain. I nearly sold a car last week and practically had a panic attack. We get so attached to these machines as if they are a part of the family, and in a way they are. Our society has developed with automobiles as an integral part, and we spend more time with them than with our own relatives!

Will you miss it? Yes. Will you regret selling it? Strong possibility. But you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.
Sorry to hear you're selling, but good luck anyway!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
~Panic Attack~

Yup. I still have some residual effect from the Cortina. :smirk:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Everytime I walk out in my garage & look at my 'children', I can't decide which I should sell!

But, I have sold some I wish I had back...years ago I had a wonderful little '65 that I absolutely loved...everytime we took it out for a spin, my daughter (then in 1st or 2nd grade) & I would wash it together before putting back in the garage...she called it "Dad's Roller Skate" & preferred it to my '79 because, I think, she felt it was more her size! One day we had it parked way out on a corner of a shopping center when some guy backed into the rear quarter & put a huge dent in it...that day, I drove it into the garage without washing & didn't even put the cover over it...next day I put a sign on it & it sold within a couple of days....wish I still had it!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've happily good-riddanced many a daily driver, but the bikes were always harder. The ones you are passionate about are the hardest to let go, even if you must.

All of my musician friends (myself included) have at least one instrument we shouldn't have sold. Car guys are the same way. We do what we have to do, but boy it would be nice if we could keep 'em all.

The flip side of this is a quote (paraphrased here) from Peter Egan: "If your car was stolen tomorrow and you got the full replacement value for it, would you buy it again? If the answer is no, then it's time to sell the car."

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Heck Drew, I've already started collecting and cleaning another set of parts. Will prob never do it but it gives me a bit of focus.

Sold a Bugeye I restored in 1973 in 1991. Body was getting preaty bad but had a stage III engine. Wish I still had the engine and rib case tranny. Drove that car to work every day between and son drove it to school when I was out of town which was a lot. Never let us down, three engine refreshes, hehe. We tend to push em hard, or we use to in any case.

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Why when I see these messages from people selling their GTs are they never located in SoCal.

I sold a nice rust free, strong running '75 once just because it was orange. Been missing a B since then so have started looking for a decent GT.

D

Deleted member 3577

drooartz said:
"If your car was stolen tomorrow and you got the full replacement value for it, would you buy it again? If the answer is no, then it's time to sell the car."

Excellent way of putting it.

If I smashed the Elva I'd build it back up from a chassis plate.

The DeLorean was like a boat. (You know..."The 2 happiest days of ownership are....")

Besides...You have 2 other cars...
What you're doing is just deciding which one to spend more time with.

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Paul,

Thanks for the link. I am especially looking for a '69 but trying to get one in driveable condition as I already have an on going MGA restoration to fill my time.

Steve_S

Yoda
I've only sold one M.G. before but I did it before I got too attached. 15 years later I bought another one just like it, only better. :smile:

Yep I regret everyday I that I sold this one, I was lucky enough to get to restore for the new owner, but I still regret I sold it to begin with.

Attachments

• 10970.jpg
    10970.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 226
OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
You guys are being really helpful, I'm realizing that I'm not as attached to this one as I am to my other cars. I would still buy a '74 GT if this one was stolen, but not THIS '74 GT. :wink: I WILL have another someday.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:thumbsup:

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I sold my 73 GT in 1990, after owning it for a decade.I put the second hunder K miles on it, and bought it from the first owner. The VIN is GHD5UD312620G. I still remember it to this day. I wish I had never sold it. I see it at shows every once in a while, and I bet I make a pest of myself to the current owner. Here in the East, it is hard to find onein decent shape to start with at a decent price. Oh well, I will find one someday.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hap,

I think I have a picture of that car at
Sears Point back in 1979.I also pitted accross
from the Huffaker transporter at Portland.
Those were the days.....

- Doug