• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

RIM OFFSETS

EMGEBE

Jedi Hopeful
Giday guys!

Looking at replacing my sigma turbo rims, prob looking for NON MG rims, not a big fan of minilites and i hardly consider myself a purist.

What offsets am i limited to for front and rear rims?
Remember mines a 69 mk2 MGB

Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jarrod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
i think the typical offset for 14" wheels is +22mm. There's quite a bit of good information on British Motoring's online magazine. They mention that a 195/55 is the tire of choice for a 16" rim, and a 205/50 requires modifications to the fenders for clearance.

Hope this helps

OP
EMGEBE

EMGEBE

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Nunyas,

Very helpful site... now i know the difference between +'ve and -'ve offsets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Has anyone tried fitting 16" MGF rims onto a B?
i know they'r 4 stud, but are they 4*114.3 or 4*100?

Also Nunyas, in that article u posted, it said if you go a bigger rim such as a 16" rim, u need a panhard rod... what is that?
Is it a stiffening device for the rear end?

Jarrod

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
A panhard rod locates the rear axle under the car. It keeps the axle centered under the body. I may get one for my car, but I'm going to wait and see how the car handles after I rebuild the suspension with poly bushings first. The springs for the rear perform a couple of functions: 1) Normal suspension functions of allowing the axle to travel up and down, 2) locate the axle under the car. Because the springs at the rear of the car also locate the axle they are subject to all of the forces of driving (not just bumps). When you go around turns, the body pushes to the outside of the turn, but the tires try to hold the car on the line. As a result the rear springs and bushings "give" a little to the sides, causing the axle to become un-centered.

Normally, it's not a problem, with stock sized wheels and tires. When you increase the width of the tire you decrease the amount of clearance in the wheel well. So, the shifting over the axle could cause the tire or worse the rim to rub the fenders or inner wheel well wall.

However, on cars like mine with worn out bushings you can literally feel the back of the car shift over the axle. Smooth turns it's unnoticeable. It's those bumpy turns or turns with dips that i really feel the rear of my car shift. It almost feels like the rear is breaking loose only there's none of the tire squeal. Some of that can be attributed to the 70 series tires on my car, but I know a good portion of it is the suspension (I've seen the rub marks on the inner walls).

Anyways, panhard rods keep the axle centered like I mentioned before. I've only been able to find one kit on the net: https://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mgb15.htm

I've asked about Panhard rods on these boards before: https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthread...true#Post105550

I believe Aeronca mentioned making one of his own, but there were no details on how he did it. However, from looking at the kit that's available there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to the design. I'll probably buy the kit if I find I need one, though.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
wow... that's a great article... Never seen that one before. thanks for the link /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

here is a pic of one for a midget...but how do you attach it?
H165.jpg
sure would like to see a pic of one installed.

mark