• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

head light rim installation help

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
A parent of one of my students lended me a healight aiming kit for the weekend, and I aimed my first set of headlights. In any case, now I am trying to get the rims back on. I thought that would be the simpler of the tasks at hand today - I sure was wrong. It looks like you pull the chrome headlight rim down behind the lip at the top of the light bucket tab, and then push down on the bottom. Is this correct? I have not been able to install them yet.I have not been able to push the bottom of the rim in far enough to get that tab on the rim to fit into the catch on the bucket. What is the angle of the tab supposed to be (compared to the base of the tab)? Both are bent at different angles on my rims, but I am guessing it should be about 90 degrees, correct? Any help/suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Kevin,

the rim slips over the tab at the top, as you say, and then should push over the bottom of the light unit and into place. the angle of the tab is not really critical.

Have you adjusted the light units too far out? this is possible on earlier light units (You don't say what car\year).

Alec

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I just put new tri-pod headlamps in my TR6 yesterday and the trim rings are a bit annoying. You have to clip in the top and sort of push down and out to get the tab in the slot in the bottom.

That is if you have a TR6.

T

Tinster

cryptmails.gif

Or you can carry a spare set in your trunk like I do.
I powder coated 4 and when one pops off and I can't find it,
I HAVE SPARES IN THE TRUNK.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sorry, forgot to mention my car is a TR6. Thanks for the information. So, it looks like the real problem might be the way the light bucket is attached. It doesn't help that the light bucket gasket is in poor shape. The captive nuts that normally go behind the light bucket on the body were gone when I bought the car, so I improvised. I think that the light bucket is sitting too far down. This causes the gasket to flare out, stopping me from being able to push down far enought for the clip to catch.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Forgot to also mention that my car is a 69. Also, what do you think of your new tripods, Paul? I had a choice between NOS for $400 or those on sale for $150 at the Roadster Factory. I ordered a set as soon as I got the email about their sale, but they are on backorder as always. If I ever get them (I may just cancel and go with Moss), I;ll let you know what I think.

Kevin

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I like them very much. They look great and are much brighter then my original Lucas lights. Yes, I still had them in the car and no, they are not for sale, for anyone paying attention to this.

I bought new bucket gaskets last year from TRF and installed them when the engine compartment was painted. You might as well add them to the order since the tripods are on backorder.

I ordered mine as soon as I got the email and then posted it here. I must have got in before a rush, because Chuck at TRF said that they had many sets on stock, hence the sale.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They had a pair of used for 170.00 At Liltpons car show. Should have picked them up for you Kevin.