• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Revisit, audible turn signal

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey MacGyver's,

Has anyone come up with a device that lets us hear when the directionals are on?

I've tried the "Loud" flasher from BCS and the one that Tridon (photo included) sells as "five times louder". They are maybe 3dbs louder. Not enough to make a difference.

The "heavy duty" flashers found in the auto stores, are actually louder than the "loud" flashers. But still not loud enough to make a substantial difference.

The buzzers that Radio Snack sells sounds like your backing up a truck. (photo included). Placing tape over some of the hole just reduces the db level, but you're still left with the same tone. Sure I can deal with it, and it's fun to watch your unsuspecting passengers knee jerk, flinching reaction when you turn your signal on. "What's that noise!?" "What noise? I don't hear any annoying beeping sound."

I did a google search and we are not alone with wanting a louder flasher. Elderly folks have voiced their wants. One person said the Ford Focus has a loud flasher. Anyone own a Focus?

I know this topic has been brought up before, me included.
Thought I'd revisit it and see if someone has found a louder devise. Maybe someone here drives a car with a loud flasher and would like to offer that year and model and be our Hero.

Cheers,
Roger

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks TH, I've already done that.
1 watt led.
Maybe it's the location of the directional just doesn't catch my eye during the daylight. At night it reminds me fine. Dare I say age is catching up to me. You know they say your memory is the second thing to go :whistle:

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
J C Whitney sells one that plays Love Me Tender. THAT ought to get your attention !

The REAL McGyver would mount a linear actuator under the dash that would tug on your pants leg with every flash.

Tim

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I like the way you think Tim!
I'll be waiting for GregW or Lin's post on how to install the linear actuator.

In the mean time, has anyone tried the JC Whitney "Very Loud Turn Signal Flasher", Here

This has got to be the one that will solve the problem. Unlike the other sales pitch of "Loud", theirs is "Very Loud". Next post will be how to insert ear plugs as you turn on your signal flasher.

How would you connect the 3 Healey wires to the two prongs?

Roger

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes is sure the same
I hear it at 4500 rpm and car open .
At my first attempt I have mounted it on reverse conctact -and it not dead smoking and burning- so I am sure it is (IDIOT) protected
ANDREA

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
During my google search I found this:

Older Datsun's had a "clicker" between the flasher and the socket. You can
use it on most three prong flashers. Remove the flasher, plug it in and plug
the flasher into it. Look around mid 70's, they started using solid state
flashers and used them to make the familiar click.

Anyone familar with this?

Roger

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yikes, 10 posts and 5 are mine.
Well guys, here's what I've come up with.

I thought I had it figured out when I bought a heavy duty relay. It was louder then the "loud" relays that some advertise.

I cut a hole in the top of the relay and that increase the volume a bit.

I used a metal bracket to hold the relay and pointed the hole at the base. That increased the volume.

I moved the relay to the inside of the car and tested a lot of areas that would help reverberate the sound.

The best location (in my car) was through the underside opening of the dash scuttle top, placing directly on the scuttle top underside.

It sounded great! Until I had the top down and drove on the freeway. Then, couldn't hear it. Bummer!

Back to the drawing board.

Until I find or someone turns me on to something better, the best I came up with was the trusted tried and true piezo electric buzzer. However I did find out that not all buzzers sound the same. I did run across one that had a much lower tone. I wrapped one layer of electrical tape round it and that helped bring the tone down a little more, plus it lowered the db's to tolerable range.

I used double sided tape and stuck it in the same place, bottom of the top scuttle. The sound changes depending on where you place the unit. The tone will change because it takes on what it is attached to and the acoustics of the area.

I hear it at freeway speed with the top down. It doesn't have that annoying high pitch buzz sound. The placement had a lot to do with the low pitch.

I installed a push button normally-closed momentary switch under the dash edge. I push that to kill the sound when at a long wait intersection.

Another fun MacGyver project.

Cheers,
MacGyver wannabee.

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Roger,
Maybe sound isn't the answer. Have you considered replacing the arrow turn signals with round indicators? Those would be more visible and wouldn't freak out your passengers. Yeah, I know it isn't a stock look and I <span style="font-weight: bold">do</span> like them little arrows.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Greg that certainly is an option, I think there is enough noise up there in the cockpit now. For those who would like to go this route a directly interchangeable assembly was used in early BMW's and Audi cars. They came in Red,Amber and Green. However, I like them little Healey arrows too.--Keoke-
grin.gif