• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turn Indicator

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My turn signals self cancel perfectly when I make a 90 degree turn, but don’t when I turn less than that as when taking an off ramp. That’s normal I know. But I keep forgetting to cancel the indicator switch and drive for some time with the lights blinking. The stock clicker is not loud enough. I tried a Radio Shack buzzer but it drove me crazy when I was sitting waiting for a light to turn green. Very annoying sound.
I would like a switch with a delay that would sound after the turn signal had been on for 30 seconds or so. That way it wouldn’t sound when making a normal turn but would sound if the indicator switch didn’t self cancel or I forgot to manually switch it off.
Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Rob, I can’t help with your specific request. However, I also use a Radio Shack buzzer. I agree that the sound is very annoying. I wrapped it in two layers of masking tape. The tape still leaves the buzzer audible, but it also muffles the sound. Might try it.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thought I'd replied to this already - possibly elsewhere. You ought to be able to wire this programmable timer to the buzzer in such a way as to do what you want.

Use a 5-connection Bosch-type relay from the flasher dash light connection. For the first 30 seconds power up the relay and have 87 connect to nothing; after 30 seconds turn the relay off and have 87a connect to the buzzer. This would be in parallel to the dash light connection. For a BJ8 you'd need two such setups.

screenshot.3366.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve, that looks exactly what I meed. I’m sorry but I may have asked this question before. I don’t remember bit I’ve wanted to do something like this for a number of years. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve, I’ve watched a couple of YouTube’s about the timer and have a basic understanding of the programming. Can you clarify what you are referring to as 87 and 87a. Rob

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Those are terminal designations on typical 5-connection Bosch-type relays. Plenty of wiring diagrams online images. One is the connection when the relay is energized, the other when it's not.

You may not need the relay - might be able to do it with the timer only.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have received the timer yet, but I had a bunch of old relays lying around. Tested them and selected the “loudest” one. Installed it in parallel with the turn indicator lamp and then attached it with double sided tape to the underside of the scuttle behind the dash. It is much louder than before, but I’m still not sure it alone will solve the problem. We’ll see.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Visual prompt from the center dash indicator light is always helpful. Convert to a LED bulb and you'll see the difference.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think it takes a E10 screw base. I’ve seen several types of LED bulbs, some with a single element on the front of the bulb and others with multiple elements on both the front and the sides. I would think the single front lens would work best for the turn indicator light and the multiple ones would be best for the gauge lamps. Does that sound right? Also I’ve seen lumens from 10 to 370. The more the better?

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Correct. Sourced from e-bay seller, Joe Parlanti, who also supplies for one of our major distributors. Attached pic says all. These LEDs are for Positive ground, but they are of the same style as for Negative ground when I made the conversion.

Attachments

• LED Bulb Turn Signal.jpg
    LED Bulb Turn Signal.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
If you can't figure out how to install a delay, maybe the sound of a loud flasher will be more to your liking.

BCS sells a loud flasher. I believe NAPA, most auto stores and online sell similar or the same unit. Not as annoying as the piezo flashers.
It may help to move it from the engine bay to under the dash. You may not need a timer in that case.

I have forward facing one watt led bulbs in my directionals. You can clearly see them during the day.

Another option is to connect something like a very bright led self adhesive strip under the edge of the dash panel (or where ever you choose) and splice it into the turn signal bulbs wires. I try to hide what ever I install in the car to keep it looking stock.

Example: I have blue courtesy lights in my BJ8. I put an led strip under the center of the dash and in each foot well. Here's what a led strip would look like under the center of the dash if you go that route. Or maybe on the drivers side windshield post or bottom edge of the frame in front of you.
8E0B8B30-58BE-49F2-AB7A-747BAB98D1A7.jpeg

Here's an example of a white LED strip connected to a flasher.

Last edited:

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My turn signals self cancel perfectly when I make a 90 degree turn, but don’t when I turn less than that as when taking an off ramp. That’s normal I know. But I keep forgetting to cancel the indicator switch and drive for some time with the lights blinking. The stock clicker is not loud enough. I tried a Radio Shack buzzer but it drove me crazy when I was sitting waiting for a light to turn green. Very annoying sound.
I would like a switch with a delay that would sound after the turn signal had been on for 30 seconds or so. That way it wouldn’t sound when making a normal turn but would sound if the indicator switch didn’t self cancel or I forgot to manually switch it off.
Any ideas on how to achieve this?
I installed a Radio Shack chime to remind me that the turn signals are on. I intended a chime for the left and a chime for the right, but the local Radio Shack only had one chime. For the other, I used a a buzzer. But then, I don't have to look at the lights to tell which side is on! I don't find that buzzer annoying, but if I did I would turn off the turn signal until I was ready to make the turn....

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve, No I didn’t. I installed an old relay I had laying around instead. I wired it the the dash indicator lamp and taped it to the under side of the scuttle. The clicking of the relay is loud enough that it reminds me to Turn off the blinkers if they don’t self cancel. I’m happy with the solution.