• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Repair Bottom Line Shock

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
Anyone ever experience this?

Since buying my TR6 in October, I have been fiddling with the car myself. Repair stuff as needed along the way, and making note of things I need to take care of eventually (mostly cosmetic, interior, etc...) or clean up.

I figured I would drop the car off to the local shop for a real once over ($150 chassies inspection). I figured I would get a few more items on my "to do" list, but never expected the shock I saw when they faxed me the issues they found and the estimate list!

Ready?

Over $5,600!

Rear end replacement, partial front end replacement, and breaks (though hydrolics are good) on front and rear were the big culprets. Front needs barrings, too.

So, looks like I have some big projects ahead of me, as I cant see dropping that kind of coin on someone else doing it for me (though I must admit, it's quite intimidating to think about rebuilding the front and rear!).

I figured I would start with the breaks.. how hard can it be to replace pads, rotors and hoses (unsure of the barrings, though)? Perhaps famous last words....!

Anyway... back to the sticker shock: Ouch!

- Aldwyn

swift6

Yoda
If you haven't already, pick up a Bentley and a Haynes Manual for the car. Give those areas a good read beforehand and dive in. Many parts catalogs also have very good 'exploded drawings' of areas and can be good for figuring out how stuff goes together.

Take your time, document where stuff goes and you'll find you can do it yourself. It will just take longer. These cars really are pretty simple but they can still be intimidating for the novice but only because its new to you. The more you do the more confident you will feel. Were always here for you as well. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

71tr

Jedi Warrior
swift6 is right, these cars are a piece of cake to work on. when i first purchased my '71 six i didn't know the difference between a wheel bearing and a differential mount support. now that I've taken the care completely apart and worked on everything with my own hands i am totally comfortable with the projects.

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
Aldwyn,

Brakes and suspension are some of the easiest systems to service on Triumph TRs. They sometimes require big muscles, special tools, or the largest hammer you can swing, but their overall design is fairly straightforward if you take your time. I was also a relative novice when I started on mine, but Bentley and Haynes manuals and Internet forums (cough, cough) can guide you through to a successful conclusion.

The money you'll save by doing it yourself will be considerable. It is definitely worth taking a shot.

Good luck,

T

Tinster

Aldwyn! You wrote:

"Anyone ever experience this?"

Yer kidding, right? Asking that question knowing
ole Tinster gonna read it? With the Crypt Car
"almost 100% restored" when Wendy bought it and
then it broke down the very next day! LOL

I make you an offer. Start on the rear brakes, please.
I have just gotten a shipment of rear brake components
from TRF. The rear brakes are all that's left to restore
my back end. After I get my clutch and tranny back together,
I'm jumping into the rear brakes.

So, you figure out how to do the rear brakes, keep excellent
photo documentation and notes. Everyone here on the forum
will help you for sure. I'll trade you even up and walk
you step by step with photos on how to rebuild your rear
suspension yourself.

You already figured I know next to nothing about auto
mechanics; so if I can successfully rebuild a TR rear
end suspension, how difficult can it be?

Best of luck and take many photos,

dale

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Aldwyn, none of the things you mentioned are terribly hard to fix. You can do it with the help of the Forum.

As I'm not too far away, I will help you if you want. I am disabled, but I can oversee you if you do the grunt work.

If your garage is heated.

OP
Aldwyn

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
Thanks guys... I'll buy the beer and pizza... come on over! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I do have a Bentley's... I'll have to go over it with a fine toothed comb.

I was thinking though... will the breaks need to come off when I rebuild the front and rear? If so, maybe I should just do it all at the same time rather then doing the breaks twice?

Dale, I will try and keep a photographic record, but find that when I am working on the car, I completely forget to take pics of what I am doing! (or dont want to take the time to wash my hands to then pick up the camera!)

Thanks,
Aldwyn

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Aldwyn said:
I was thinking though... will the breaks need to come off when I rebuild the front and rear? If so, maybe I should just do it all at the same time rather then doing the breaks twice?

You can rebuild the front and rear independantly of the brakes (I assume you mean brakes, not breaks like something under there is broken?) if you want. I would do them at the same time. Just depends on how much you want to undertake at a time.

I can take photos while you work.

T

Tinster

Aldwyn,

Don't you be a wuss about getting dirty fingers
on yer camera. I keep my digital in my tool tray
when I'm working on the TR. If I screw something up,
I have photos of before my mess up.

I'm thinking some of my photos might have helped
other know-nothings like myself tackle mechanical
stuff they might have been afraid to try.

YOU will be able to help other folks once you have
performed the brakes yourself. Take pity and take
photos. You won't regret it. It's how this forum functions.

Hey- is Clyde's still by the lake in Columbia?

d

OP
Aldwyn

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
John, I may take you up on that! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I think Sherman Taffel is going to help me with these projects (can I assume you know Sherman?) and he is into pictures of projects as well, so one way or the other, we may have some pics! BTW, yes... my bad on the spelling of brakes! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Dale: But it's a high end digital, and it's my main camera I use (I do ammature photography as another hobby)! Maybe I should buy a cheapie for the garage. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif BTW, Yes, Clydes is still at Lake K and is still making awesome crab soup!

swift6

Yoda
Aldwyn said:
Dale: But it's a high end digital, and it's my main camera I use (I do ammature photography as another hobby)! Maybe I should buy a cheapie for the garage

See if yo can find a cheap 1.3 or 2.0 that still works. Perfect for posting as they don't need to be any bigger than 640X480. 800X600 makes for WIDE screens with the new forum layout. Perfect for quick and dirties. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

T

Tinster

Aldwyn!

One of the few things I miss from Columbia is clyde's fine
food.

I am pretty sure I saw Grandma digital point and press
button cameras at Costco for like $59 or $69.

Ask around to your friends. I'll bet you can find a
donated old model for the asking. I've got a 4 meg Sony
I'd send you but the battery pack costs more than a cheapie
new camera.

I take maybe 300 construction photos every week and another
100 personal. I usually wreck or wear out 2 cameras a year!
I'm using a Canon 5 meg digital Elph right now because it so
small. Fits in my shirt pocket.

regards and have a bowl of crab soup for me
and a bloody Mary for Wendy.(w/ double celery sticks)

d

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In getting a small diggy camera,don't get a battery pack style. Rechargeable is th only way to go.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Aldwyn, like a couple of the guys who have already responded I didn't have ANY prior mechanical experience prior to buying a TR.

Buy several manuals for the cars since they cover procedures and operations differently.

Ask lots of questions and do use the forum for help.

There are great group of guys here who have been amazingly helpful (thanks again guys).

Pick one small project to get started and the experience / confidence from doing one will help you get started on the next.

T

Tinster

Aldwyn:

Here you have it. No excuse not to take digital photos.
I keep this little guy in my glove compartment in case
I see something interesting or I have an accident.
$19.00 at K-Mart and it holds 20 internet quality photos.
Uses one AAA battery.

camera.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dale- Are you using those Platinum plugs in the car presently?

T

Tinster

No, they are not in the car. I bought these as spares.
The folks at Western Auto said they work just fine.
I am running whatever Paul recommended to me.

I have a complete spare everything for the
electrical system, except alternator.

Is there a problem I should be aware of?

thx

d

G

Aldwyn, I would strongly recommend that you call the Roadster Factory and see if they still have their Blue and Green Parts Catalog. Two books that label every conceivable part on the TR6 and have exploded views of everything. Invaluable for seeing where things go, what they are called and what their true part number is. And the Bentley is the bible for repairs. I can do without the Haynes manual. The two parts catalogs have to be bought, not free. Not expensive. Worth every cent. If they are out of print, you might try Ebay for copies. I refer to mine constantly.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Only with the history on your carbs .Using a regular set until the carbs are dialed in is a good idea. The Plats can gunk up real easy and are tender to clean.

Aldwyn,have the green bible on my hard drive.

OP
Aldwyn

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
Checking in the piles of books etc that the previous owner gave me with he car, all I see are TRF glove box companions... no parts catalogs.

I do have a Moss one that has detailed pics.

But I am still not sure what to order... everything listed? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DNK, is that something that can zip up easily and sendable?

Ok, Dale... you have convinced me. I will find an old digital on ebay, and buy it just for repair, and maybe fishing pics. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Thanks guys!