• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removing scratches from windshield

M

Member 10617

My 50 year-old Triumph has its original windshield (windscreen), which means that the windshield has its share of scratches. These are not deep, but diffuse the light when driving into the sun.

I see that several suppliers have a polishing compound that can be used with a polishing buff to "renew" such windshields. Eastwood, for example, offers such a compound for sale.

My question: Has anyone had any experience with these compounds? And how effective are they?

I would prefer to buff out small scratches than to try to replace the glass (which may become necessary at some time in the future).

PeterK

Yoda
I've used Griot's glass polish to clear out a windshield using a PorterCable random orbital buffer. Worked OK but you can also use baking soda and elbow grease.

A new windshield is a totally different thing however.

edit: be careful not to get the glass hot if using a machine.

OP
M

Member 10617

Baking soda and elbow grease! Does that really work? I'm one to use the least aggressive materials, so this sounds good to me. I'll try it.

JImEgan

I am in the glass business. If you can feel the scratch with you fingernail, you won't be able to remove it entirely

We use Cerium oxide in water to remove scratches.

Here is a link to wikipedia about the material

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerium(IV)_oxide

Jim

gac

Freshman Member
I agree with Jim. Use cerium oxide powder. Mix a small portion with water till it has the consistency of mud. Use a small brush to smear it on the scratch. Don't be shy with the water, you want the glass to warm up but don't burn it otherwise you will have distortion. Don't leave the buffer in one spot too long. If the glass is badly scratched it might be more work than it's worth (although an original windshield is nice to have). Small hand held buffers can take a very long time. Ideally one would remove the windshield & use a commercial buffing wheel which is approx. 2-3 feet in diameter & 4" thick ($$$ but they work like a charm). The buffing wheel material should be fairly hard, not soft & needs to be soaked down before using. Good luck.

PeterK

Yoda
Baking soda is also a mild abrasive that will break down as it is used. Mix a paste as with the cerium oxide as above. Hey, it's in your cupboard - or better yet use the stale box sitting in the back of your refridge.

PeterK

Yoda
Never really heard of cerium oxide, not that I ever would have. But if you can get it cheap, try it.

I used the baking soda over an entire windshield to clear it and it worked somewhat. But most windshield problems I've seen are from sand and stone blasting pock marks that glisten in the light and block your vision. For small scratches, polishing will work.

This is what I call elbow grease https://www.toolbarn.com/portercable-7424xp.html?ref=base

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I purchased one of those kits that are supposed to remove the scratches from the windshield. The only way I got the scratches out was by applying more pressure with the buffer. I ended up distorting the glass. After looking closer at the windshield, I noticed it had a lot of very small pits in it like from sand hits. I replaced it with a new one.

OP
M

Member 10617

Yes, unfortunately, my windshield has been "sand blasted" over the years and has lots of minute pock marks that glisten in the sunlight. I will try the polishing compound to try to improve it a bit, but probably will not get most of the pock marks out.

New windsheild in my future...

TR4

Jedi Knight
Another polish you can try is toothpaste. We used that in the factory I managed through the 90's to remove light scratches from glass used in our furniture.

OP
M

Member 10617

Hi, Phil. I've tried toothpaste on other car windshields but I think it won't do much for the pitting that has occurred on my TR3 windshield. The baking soda helped a little, but I think I am going to have to use the cerium oxide. I'll start by doing by hand (elbow grease method) because all I expect to do is to improve it a little, and if that has little effect, I'll try the buffing wheel that comes with the kit (slow speed and little heat as possible).

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Will the cerium oxide work on the plexi headlight covers on late model cars? Seems like most cars within 3 to 5 years have that haze. Fess up that my Tundra and Camry both do!
If this will work...where do I find the cerium Oxide?
Use by hand...or with a buffer only? Thanks, Gil NoCal

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Also keep it wet. Heat will build up fast no mater what speed.

gac

Freshman Member
Sounds like your windshield is probably too pitted & will take a very long time to polish. You might end up needing this, along with the requisite amount of elbow grease.
[img:center]https://www.crlaurence.ca/crlapps/showline/largerimage.aspx?productid=16124[/img]

For minor scratches & pitting polishing with cerium oxide will work, but I have a feeling your original windshield may be beyond the polishing stage. Of course aged eyeballs don't help either, don't ask me how I know this (squint).

PeterK

Yoda
Sunglasses will help reduce the effect of the reflections form the pits in the glass.

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My experience from making telescope mirrors was that it took hours of cerium oxide to get the pits left from the finest grinding powder stage (finer than 1000 grit). The pits and road rash on my windshield are way deeper than that.
John