• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Can radiator be fixed without removing it?

Momikey

Can a small leak be fixed on my radiator without removing from the car?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 131
OP
M

Momikey

How do I remove the front apron to get the radiator out. Is there a video or list somewhere showing me how to get it off of the car?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had the same problem once. The guy at the radiator shop told me to pull it out and bring it back for him to repair it.
Removal is to remove the front bumper, bolts above the radiator across the top and down both sides from the underside of each fender. Time consuming depending on how hard it is to remove the bolts from under the fenders. They have a tendency to be rusted and stubborn. When you put them back on use never seize on them.
Charley

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Once you take the apron off, you will probably find several more things that need doing.
Removing the apron can be like opening Pandora's box!

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I totally agree with Guy. I started out planning on just installing a "hurricane" fan from Macy's Garage (which is AMAZING BTW), and ended up with a new radiator, motor mounts, front wiring harness...among other things.

OP
M

Momikey

Well I want to do an alternator conversion and add a elec push fan so I guess I will do it all.
Do you guys think the Radiator can be fixed or should I get a new one?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The leak at the seam for the neck is a common one (people push down on the cap as the open or close it w/o supporting the neck). Definitely fixable but you will want the radiator checked out while it is at the shop. Some have also added some reinforcement to that neck (Randall, I think did this).

...Removing the apron can be like opening Pandora's box!

But remember that after all the evils escaped from the box there was still one thing left at the bottom.

OP
M

Momikey

I totally agree with Guy. I started out planning on just installing a "hurricane" fan from Macy's Garage (which is AMAZING BTW), and ended up with a new radiator, motor mounts, front wiring harness...among other things.
Hey Bill does the Hurricane fan work really good. Do you think I should put one of those on my TR3A instead of the push fan on the outside of the radiator? (110 degrees today in Cali) Also did you have to buy the mounting kit on the macy's site has well to go with the fan?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

The one I had repaired at the neck like yours is still on the road 9 years after the repair. That car is now in Washington state with my son. I will add that on my 2 TR4's that I have built I have converted to the aluminum radiator. We get the very hot temperatures as well.
Charley

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Well I want to do an alternator conversion and add a elec push fan so I guess I will do it all.

Is it overheating?
if so an aluminum rad. W/ out the crank port is a good option.
i went with a puller, but their are as many reasons to pick a different fan as there are members of BCF.
and they all work.

also consider replacing water pump while your there.
(steering & front suspension will be calling your name too, awa: timing chain & front seal.)

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
But remember that after all the evils escaped from the box there was still one thing left at the bottom.

Be careful, here's what I found after removing a few things that needed attention. It needed attention too, but I still had hope. -And that's not to say all the evil has come out...

Attachments

• HalfWay2.jpg
    HalfWay2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 127
OP
M

Momikey

Be careful, here's what I found after removing a few things that needed attention. It needed attention too, but I still had hope. -And that's not to say all the evil has come out...
Oh No. My engine only has 6000 miles on it so I hope I don't strip it down that much. LOL.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I had just such a leak in a radiator rebuilt from a local shop. You can read the thread, but basically, when faced with several hours R&Ring the rad, I chose to solder the leak in place, even though the radiator had a warranty on their work. Took 20 minutes and lasted since then. I doubt a radiator shop would fix it in place, as it opens them up to a lot of liability if they screw up with the torch in tight quarters. Plus a shop could care less about the work YOU have to put in.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?79899-It-s-Alive!-TR3-Generator-amp-Rad-Questions

OP
M

Momikey

I had just such a leak in a radiator rebuilt from a local shop. You can read the thread, but basically, when faced with several hours R&Ring the rad, I chose to solder the leak in place, even though the radiator had a warranty on their work. Took 20 minutes and lasted since then. I doubt a radiator shop would fix it in place, as it opens them up to a lot of liability if they screw up with the torch in tight quarters. Plus a shop could care less about the work YOU have to put in.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?79899-It-s-Alive!-TR3-Generator-amp-Rad-Questions
Awesome I'm going to give it a try. So you used standard solder and flux? Did you use small torch to heat up then put solder on or did you use the solder type gun?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
John beat me to it, but I think you could fix that one in place. When I was twenty, we put on metal gutters that were soldered in place on 2 and 3 story + house with large irons and salomoniac to keep the irons clean. John’s posts are very detailed so you will get the scoop there. I would just say that I would use 50/50 solder (and around here that solder has to be purchased in the electrical department) plus get everything squeakie clean, dry and not too hot.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Like Steve said...cleaning is the key. I just used regular modern solder/flux from Lowes and a torch, but an iron might be easier to control to prevent any colateral damage. The good thing is that if it doesn't work, you can still remove it to go to the shop and it'll cost the same.