• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removing back Radius Arm Bolt

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Can't get to it with breaker bar. Other than removing the drum and backing plate suggestions? Going with heat and PB Blaster to start. Man is that bushing both from and rear loose, loose, loose. There's majority of my clunk.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK Heat was the correct answer. Bolt is out now to remove the rest of the bushing shell. It's in there tight. Cut it and punch out, looking for the easiest way guys.

Push radius arm over as war as it will go. Slice as close as possible to radius arm. Mocwe it over the other way and cut and see if I can extract, and then resort to the BFH Method?

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Jim from your description I can't tell whether you have the arms off the car or not. I had them off the car. Started out whacking them with a bushing driver--hit them with a torch PB Blaster, slotted the bushing it a few times with a hacksaw and went at it with a cold chisel, sort of from the side. They were getting pretty beat up, and at a certain point it didn't seem worthwhile to try and save them. I bought new ones--they come with the bushings installed.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
No I got the bolts out but the rear bushing has managed to work its way tight into the bolt holes. Thinking hacksaw or Dremel or metal cutting blade in the jigsaw.

Country flag
Those radius arms are pretty easy to crush. Do not hammer too hard. I suggest a hacksaw and patience. Cut two slots. Then pry out the two halves.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
The hacksaw is a great way to remove the outside sleeve of the bush and if you need an extra set, you know who's got one. I know I've got it somewhere, but send your address and I'll send you my extras before I lose them!
Rut

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut I have a new set. What I thought was the bushing turned out to be a washer on the outside. Are there really 2 spacers per radius rod. I look like there is not room to add one in the front. Unless the spacer is rusted to part of the bracket. Need to get the bushing cut and radius arm removed and yes I ordered 4 new spacers.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK Team, got the one radius arm out but now the bolts on that side do not want to line up. I'm about a bolts width too far back. Tried putting a jack under the wheel and lifting and that didn't do it. DO I need to put a come-a-long of some sort around the axle to pull it into place. The other side is still bolted into place. And the radius arm is bad on that side as well. Let me think, could axle be cocked to one side as the other bushing is for crap as well. Only thing I can think. I was trying to avoid disconnecting both sides at the same time. Thoughts gents?

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
It does sound like your rear axle has rotated backward a bit. Not sure how to pull it back, but sure, if a come-along would do it sure, why not. I would not remove the other radius arm yet.

Also--and this is NOT related to your problem--but if I recall correctly, on mine, when I pulled the bolt out and the radius arm off a spacer fell off the bolt and onto the floor. I didn't see it then but when I was trying bolt the radius arm back on I noticed it could move from side to side. I didn't notice what was going on until I looked at the other radius arm.

Just a word to the wise. It is one of those things that you might not notice, but is part no. 14-830, Distance Piece in the Victoria British catalog. The catalog is wrong, however only one per side is required, not two.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
There is a spacer it appears welded to the outboard side of the radius arm bracket. With that in mind I'll install space on the outboard side to keep things aligned. IIRC from earlier this evening the rear spacer was on the inboard side. Got what a waste my mind is at times. Short Team memory is for crap as I wasn't paying attention. Maybe two fit in the back. Solution is a pick wrench between rear hub and upright, going to use my biggest pipe wrench, a come along, and a rope tied to the bumper hitch of the SUV to anchor the other end of the comealong. Going to attach the axle side first. As it was hard to get that lined up.

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Jim--yes--you are correct. There is one welded in place on one side of the bracket, and a loose one on the other side, and the radius arm goes between them. Why they didn't weld them both in don't ask me--I just remember it was gory getting them all lined up.

I think I used a punch to center the loose one and hold it in place then tapped the bolt in through the welded spacer and bushing from the other side, but it has been over a year since I did it. No short or long term memory here.

The pipe wrench is a good idea. Maybe you can put your jack under the handle and rotate it upward with that.

Last edited:
OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Got the other radius arm off and reinstalled. Needed to do the trick with pipe wrench and ratchet strapped get it close and I was able to get things bolted down. Discovered that radius arm on both sides was missing the spacer. Radius arm was totally trashed on both sides. Metal sleeves simply fell out of the bushings when removed.readjust brakes one more time and figure out why generator light remains on all the time. Need to see if repolarizing generator will fix the problem.