• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removed Frank's bumpers today!!

RickB

Yoda
I just knew he would look better this way, I'm already pleased even though I don't have a new grille yet or any bumperettes.

Here's todays pics:

midget_sansbump1.jpg

midget_sansbump2.jpg

midget_sansbump3.jpg

midget_sansbump4.jpg

midget_sansbump5.jpg

midget_sansbump6.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing, Jeff. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I know, that heavy bumper really weighed the front down!
WOW! It's like 6 inches higher than it was before!

I think part of it is the black valance. I think that if I painted it brown it wouldn't look so high.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yeah, you're right. Paint the valance brown and the bumper mount flanges black. It will give a whole different look.
Then drop the front by a couple inches. I think there are spring spacers above the springs. A one inch spacer will raise the front by two inches.

As with all rubber bumper cars, the rear body was flattened under the tail lights. A filler piece would look good there. Even a glued-on piece of plastic with the right shape and painted brown would look nice enough. Or weld in some metal.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would try to hide that exhaust some how.....

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You can always cut those huge front bumper brackets off & use an early grille...here's an example of how I cut them from my '79 MGB:

79cutclose.jpg

& test fitting an old grille:

79testgrille2.jpg

All I had to do afterwards was clean the cuts & weld blanking plates over the open ends.

& the rear piece under the taillight is also an easy modification.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
leecreek said:

Reminds me of the guy who bought the Ferrari and was so concerned that it not be damaged he had the Priest and the Imam and the Hindu Priest and the Rabbi out to bless it. Everyone did their thing; incantation, incense, holy water etc. etc. including the rabbi who was found around back cutting two inches off the tailpipe. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

I'm converting mine to a chrome bumper so I too have the "cut off" back under the tailights. My dubious advantage here is that the car was rearended so I just bought a pre '74 valance to replace the existing one. Still, I've been thinking for some time whether a pair of bumperettes could be adapted to sit right under the taillights. Kind of like the back end of a '54 corvette.

what thinkest the group?

Country flag
Since you are going to be replacing the roll pan I'd go ahead and fab up some filler bits for the blanks under the tail lights.

bugimike

Yoda
JPSmit said:
leecreek said:

Reminds me of the guy who bought the Ferrari and was so concerned that it not be damaged he had the Priest and the Imam and the Hindu Priest and the Rabbi out to bless it. Everyone did their thing; incantation, incense, holy water etc. etc. including the rabbi who was found around back cutting two inches off the tailpipe. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

I'm converting mine to a chrome bumper so I too have the "cut off" back under the tailights. My dubious advantage here is that the car was rearended so I just bought a pre '74 valance to replace the existing one. Still, I've been thinking for some time whether a pair of bumperettes could be adapted to sit right under the taillights. Kind of like the back end of a '54 corvette.

what thinkest the group?

I have thought of that also, and I for one think it would work and look quite nice!! I have also considered using the rear BE bumperettes on the front as well!!

PS Frank DEFINITLY need to have the suspension lowered!!!!

Country flag
And lowering the front suspension only requires a trip to the hardware store! ...more or less.

bugimike

Yoda
I took the liberty of playing with your pics to see how bumperettes would look! Tried it two ways... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

PS also took the liberty of "lowering" the suspension!!

Attachments

• 5489-sansbumpers1.jpg
    5489-sansbumpers1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 58

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmmm, are they a secret? See em now. Noop. Too heavy for the front end, need to be much thiner.

How about the fiberglass front and rear spoiler thingees, they look real nice.

bugimike

Yoda
Jack, some of that "heaviness" could be due to my "grafting skills", or lack thereof! I am not sure they are scaled "just right", and the angles they are mounted at could be a bit off too (I just "stole" the bumperettes off that new BE that was posted recently!) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Seems to me that it would look better with mounts and driveing lights or nerf bars kind of.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And an excellent exercise, I learned something.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I've got a grille I plan on sniping at the last moment on Ebay right now. Whether I use it complete or just the surround bits and then a vertical slotted grille I don't know yet. I've found some available parts.

6357_1.JPG

Yes, the exhaust has to be changed asap. Now that I have a welder I can get that part done better.

What's the "trip to the hardware store" for - what do I need from there to lower the suspension? Where are the spacers located and what do I need to take apart to get to them?
(the hardware store is literally across the street a half a block away)

I have some spare MGC overiders here, I was going to look at them and see how they look maybe as back bumperettes. Thoughts?

Morris

Yoda
There is a piece missing from that grill, and it looks kinda bent up. Just FYI.