• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Water Pump Noise Resolved [removed Water Wetter]

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi

Late last season (2011) my water pump starting howling. It started as a noise, quickly became a groan and got to the point where it was howling pretty good. You could hear it over the engine and road noise when driving at speed. It really sounded quite bad. It was the end of the season so, I put very few miles on it in this condition. It was not leaking.

So, after storing the car for the season, I did my research and was all ready to install a new water pump this spring as part of my bi-annual cooling system flush.

Well, just two weeks before I did this, I came across a thread on an Alfa forum where the author said he had used Water Wetter, experienced a water pump noise and resolved it by flushing out the cooling system and refill with 50/50 water and anti-freeze. This got my attention since I had added Water Wetter for the first time at my last flush in July 2010 (about 1,000 miles ago).

My feeling was that I had nothing to loose. So, I did a full flush and refill. Low and behold, my water pump is now significantly quieter. It still makes "some" noise but, you have to pop the hood and really listen for it. And, for all I know, it did that before.

I can't really explain it but, it works for me. I'll let you know as I drive more this summer whether the sound goes away completely, stays the same or gets worse again. In the meantime, water pump replacement is on indefinite hold

Bob

D

DougF

To be safe, keep the spare in the trunk or the AAA card in the wallet.

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Got the AAA and the Hagerty Plus service!

Most drives are pleasure-only within a 10 or 15 mile radius so I can watch it pretty close without much risk.

If the WP finally craps out, I am sure I can swap it easily. I already have all the part numbers ready to go.

Bob

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That's odd Bob.....I've been using water wetter since I put the new engine back in the TR6 and no problems here.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yea same here. It's been in the Tr250 since 2005 and no problems.
Why do you flush so much? I'm wondering if something in the system would be the problem. Like some debris caught behind the impeller.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Is it possible that originally you had air trapped in the system. This may have caused cavitation which can cause noise.

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey there,

Well, I will be the first to admit I may have spoken too soon. The waterpump sound is back. So, I may have falsley accused the Water Wetter. Stay tuned as I investigate further.

Also, TR3ATR250 you made me realize I should have said "semi-annual flush"...being every other year.

Bob

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
RJS said:
Hey there,

Well, I will be the first to admit I may have spoken too soon. The waterpump sound is back. So, I may have falsley accused the Water Wetter. Stay tuned as I investigate further.

Also, TR3ATR250 you made me realize I should have said "semi-annual flush"...being every other year.

Bob

Well then you mean "bi-annual" not "semi-annual". English can be a pain! :devilgrin:

See: https://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/bisemi.html

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
angelfj said:
RJS said:
Hey there,

Bob

Well then you mean "bi-annual" not "semi-annual". English can be a pain! :devilgrin:

See: https://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/bisemi.html

Actually, most dictionaries say that "biannual" also means twice a year. "Biennial" means every other year.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/biannual
https://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/biannual

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
:smile:
math was my thing, not English.
Note to self, stick with "every other year". Less risk of confusion.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It sounds like a bad pump bearing. Get a new pump and be done with it. Or have Peter at Worldwide Auto rebuild yours better than new.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm no scientists or physicists but don't see how Wetter water could cause noises. In theory it removes the surface tension of the water so it actually makes full contact with the water jacket. Remember in science class where you carefully set a needle on top the surface of some water in a glass and it stayed there until you ether dropped in some salt or soap which destroyed the surface tension and the needle sank. Wetter Water destroys the waters ability to form a skin so it therefore comes into better contact with every nock and cranny in the water jacket and you get more surface area contact. Thus transferring more heat.
I can agree with cavitation making noise with air in the system. What about a failing radiator cap causing the water to boil? That would get air in the system and I would also think that would show up in the temperature gauge with fluctuation of the needle.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Cavitation can happen even without air in the system. All it takes is the localized pressure to go low enough to allow water vapor to form. (But I doubt that is what is happening to Bob.)

The water pump uses a "face" seal, which I suppose could start chattering if the surfaces got sticky. Regular antifreeze has a "water pump lubricant" additive to help lubricate the seal. Maybe Water Wetter doesn't? I dunno.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Maybe my Water Wetter net affect was negated because I used it with a 50/50 AF/Water mix?

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I suspect its simply a bad water pump. I pulled the belt off. No play at all in the pulley. It spins by hand with no noise or grinding feeling whatso ever. But, it takes a very firm hand to turn it. Unlike my generator which I can spin freely with one finger. The firmness is inconsistent too. It almost feels "lumpy" as you spin it.

Bob

HarryL

Jedi Trainee
I've never had a problem with the water wetter product
in any of my race cars. Then again; that's all I use with
plain old water. My question is; why would you use it in a street car?
Harry

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not yet. Its gone quiet again and it's been a very busy June with kid end of school activities.

I'll keep you posted.

Bob

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Water Pump Noise Resolved [new theory]

So, I may be grasping here but, I have a new theory on my water pump noise. And I will be the first to admit it was likely not the Water Wetter.

Let me say with the fan belt removed there is absolutely no play in the water pump pulley whatsoever, no strange feeling when turning it and it does not leak.

So, here's my latest thought...about a year or so ago I started setting my fan belt very loose to avoid damage to the water pump bearings. The factory setting is 3/4" to 1" play in the longest length of the belt. So, I set it much looser - 3/4" to 1" play in the shortest run.

But, after testing the water pump with the belt off last weekend, I reinstalled the belt per the factory spec - tighter than I have been running it. And now the water pump is quiet again?!

I'm probably crazy and should simply replace the pump. But, now I am intrigued - not to mention I hate to replace a part if it is still serviceable.

Comments welcome,

Bob

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Water Pump Noise Resolved [new theory]

Sounds like the pump is fine. Perhaps all this noise you have been hearing was actually belt noise because it was too loose.