• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Spring Lift

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

The other day I noted a response in another thread that showed the height from ground to top of rear wheel opening to be 27 1/8”. Feeling that my BJ8P1, essentially the same body as a BJ7, seemed to be getting lower than proper, I measured and found the height to be only 26” on 165/80R15 Vredesteins.

The springs in my P1 were replaced 15 years ago and, initially, brought the car almost as high as a P2. Over the years the springs have settled and, at this point, I would like to fine some way of raising the rear.

Has anyone found a way to raise the rear through the application of spacers or other approaches without changing or re-arching the springs?

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
as anyone found a way to raise the rear through the application of spacers or other approaches without changing or re-arching the springs?

------------------------------NO---Keoke

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Thanks Keoke, I expected that answer. OK then, has anyone had their rear springs re-arched and what was the result?

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Stretch

Jedi Trainee
I noticed the AHSpares now sells a new and stronger rear spring with an additional leaf. Denis Welch also sells it. Been thinking about it since I also sit low at 26+ inches and just broke a spring during a trip to the Finger Lakes. I happen to have a spare so I'm not making the change right now. Does anyone have experience with the new spring? I think it has to be a good upgrade.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I had my original springs re-arched and as many have pointed out it usually does not last. It didn't. They were not heat treated. I bought new springs from Martin Jule and have been very happy with them. He warned me that they are a bit stiffer than what I was probably used to. They are, but overall I'm very happy with them. For those who are sticklers for originality they do not have the same number of leaves. The ride height has been perfect for over a year now and I never bottom out anymore during normal driving.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
roscoe said:
I had my original springs re-arched and as many have pointed out it usually does not last. It didn't. They were not heat treated. I bought new springs from Martin Jule and have been very happy with them. He warned me that they are a bit stiffer than what I was probably used to. They are, but overall I'm very happy with them. For those who are sticklers for originality they do not have the same number of leaves. The ride height has been perfect for over a year now and I never bottom out anymore during normal driving.
I also purchased my springs from Jule and had them set so that they make my BJ8 "LEVEL" in ride height. I think that a rear end jacked-up BJ8 just doesn't look good...period! I will be installing a performance exhaust for the earlier cars for ground clearance.
Patrick

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Thanks All,

I would like to investigate Jule springs for price but can't seem to find any link. I have gone to Jule Enterprise web site but can not find any reference to springs. Patrick/Jon, any direction would be appreciated.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I suggest you call him. He had some questions for me having to do with ride height etc.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
RAC68 said:
Thanks All,

I would like to investigate Jule springs for price but can't seem to find any link. I have gone to Jule Enterprise web site but can not find any reference to springs. Patrick/Jon, any direction would be appreciated.

Ray (64BJ8P1)
"ditto" to call him. He will get back to you. I think I paid $250 for my springs back in 2009. Shipping didn't matter since they came ack with my Jule frame.
Patrick

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Patrick/Jon,

As you suggested, I had a very enjoyable conversation with Martin Jansen of Jule Enterprise about rear springs and much more.

On the subject of rear springs, Martin explained that the original Healey frames contributed a significant amount of torsion deflection and the lighter springs of the pre-BJ8 P2 produced less stress (and a softer ride) on the Healey’s original thin-walled frame.

The Jule frame is far stiffer with much less torsion deflection and, therefore, looks to the suspension to provide greater support. To satisfy this suspension requirement, the Jule rear springs are much beefier and, although they may provide a somewhat harder ride when mounted on an original frame, will maintain performance and road height for a far longer period. Since most of us will not race or, in fact, use our Healeys in a highly aggressive manor for an extended period, I would expect that the added stress of the Jule springs on an original frame will not contribute any measurable deficit. As far as having a harsher riding car, I see that as a non-issue also and anticipate a fitted Healey will still excel in comfort when compared to a ride in a Corvette or Porsche (in my opinion).

I will be going with Jule spring replacement this winter so thank you both for the direction to Jule.

Ray (64BJ8P1)