• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Project Latest

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful
Project up-date

Thought I would post some pictures of the roll cage under construction. After alot of debate, I choose to use the four body mounting locations to bolt in my two main hoops. I will have two rear braces to the rear spring pearches and two foward from main hoop to front hoop. A seat hoop behind the seat back and a few diagonals also remain.

Greg

Attachments

• 5310-cagerear.JPG
    5310-cagerear.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 5311-cageside.JPG
    5311-cageside.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 5312-int.JPG
    5312-int.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 520

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Re: Project up-date

Are you tying the cowl into the front hoop? just wondering how you guys normally do it.

Looking at your picture with four vise-grip clamps in place reminded me of the year I asked my wife for EIGHT more of those things. My wife asked "Why...you already have ONE...why do you need more?"!

OP
G

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful

The is my first attempt at a roll cage so I am not sure about "normal", but I plan to add a few tabs to the cowl that can be bolted to the front hoop to help the scuttle shake. I'd prefer to weld those hoop feet directly to the frame but for some reason just had to make this thing a bolt in. I don't know exactly why I am doing that, I guess I want to be able to take it out easily should the need arise.

Another one they never understand... it takes 14 trips to Home Depot to finish any good project?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

HMmm. you adding the roll bar for stability with that Nuclear drive unit glowing away there? hehehe
Seriously, that's looking good. Should do wonders for stiffening up the chassis.
I like the bolt-in idea. then if something was to happen to the car, or someday the rollbar wasen't wanted anymore, It can easily be taken out. Also will allow for repairs in the future.

PeterK

Yoda

What are your using for pipe and bender. Hydraulic? What is the spec on the pipe?

OP
G

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful

That is 1.5" x 0.120" DOM mild steel. I borrowed a hydraulic bender from a club member, I think it is from US TOOL. I could never figure out how to predict the spring back while bending so it was bend a little - measure a lot to get it right. I am sure after LOTS of bends you start to figure it out.

Greg

OP
G

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful

more cage pictures.The picture from the rear ¾ view actually shows the cage leaning back about 10 degrees more layback than the way it will sit in the car. The feet on those two rear legs will attach to the truck floor and from under the trunk floor to the frame I’ll have two more little 6” pieces to attach to the frame. It was nice for a change to be welding on brand new high steel.

Does anyone have a good lug detail they have used for bolt-in diagonals or door bars?

Thanks,

Greg

Attachments

• 5393-34rearcageonframe.JPG
    5393-34rearcageonframe.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 81
OP
G

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful

Has been awhile for an update on my project. I got 2 coats epoxy sealer, 2 coats base, 2 coats clear on the underside of my tub and 1 coat of selaer on the removable panels this past week. I plan to clean the top and inside of the tub and seal that this Sunday, then put it back on the frame one last time for final body work over the next couple of weeks. I'll post some pictures through the final painting process.

Attachments

• 12478.jpg
    12478.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 512

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

What happened to your pictures? They're showing up blurred on my screen.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

I thought that it was my laptop getting the jaggies, but it's on the home monitor too, so I guess it is on Greg's end.

OP
G

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful

Not sure whats going on with the photos. I'll try again and maybe post some more later tonight of the top side of tub.

Attachments

• 12565.jpg
    12565.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 366
OP
G

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful

Looks like I reducing the file size too much. These are looking better. This is with bc/cc on bottom of tub. Fender in background only has epoxy.

Attachments

• 12566.jpg
    12566.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 361

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

WOW!!

That tub looks like brand new metal.

Great job.

If you try resizing your pics with Windows Image Resizer to the "small" setting, they will fit nicely in the frames here without having to scroll across.

OP
G

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful

top side of the tub in epoxy. I'll put the color and clear on the engine bay and the trunk/interior tomorrow evening. I am waiting to remount the body to hang all the panels to do the final body work and color on the exterior.

OP
G

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful

only three years of sheet metal work, about 10 mixed gas cylinders, and 50 spools of wire. I had no idea how much rust this car had when I started. When I removed the drivers side inner sill, the rear mount fell on the floor. Next time I am finding a cleaner car to start with.

It is really cool to paint on this car again.

I used to add pictures as attachments instead of in the post. How do i get them to come in as attachments, or resize as you mentioned?

Thanks,

Greg

OP
G

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful

Got the final base and clear on the top side today, now just need to get it together in the next two weeks.

Greg

Attachments

• 15227.jpg
    15227.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 340

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

That's all you can show us? What's the rest look like?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

Looking good. Are you going to get that to VTR Regionals in April? I wanna see it!

Randy