• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Potential Trade.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tough to tell how much the 'vette needs..but I would consider the trade, even tho I love lbc's..
I wouldn't do it for a hardtop, but a convertible, heck yeah.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sure, go for it!

Morris

Yoda
I vote no because the Vette has the wrong front end. Consider too, even if it did have the correct front end, you would have a very, very beautiful car... That is really good at accelerating in a straight line and that is about it. I am of the opinion that vettes of that generation handle like boats. Of course there is nothing wrong with owning a beautiful car that handles like a boat.

G

I'd do it. A properly restored '68 'vert is about a $30-35K car. I like '68's too. Do it!

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
I'm with Kellysguy. High probability for profit with the vette. Then you can buy one of what you want and rebuild it with a big budget or get one already restored to an excellent condition, or trade for something.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I voted yes because I like that era of plastic pigs. but that is the only reason. if you don't want/love the Corvette don't do it. its not a cheap car to redo and is a high risk theft vehicle.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I voted "NO". Sixty eight is a tough year to restore CORRECTLY. There are a lot of "one year parts" that are both hard to find and expensive. Adding to that is the limited desirability of old Vets with automatic trannys. You would be upside down in that car from the get go and never get to the money making side of the rebuild. Bob

G

HealeyRick said:
Depends on what the Vette needs. If the drivetrain is good --- yes. If not - no.

Rick. SBC and TH350, what could be cheaper...SBF and C4? it's a toss up. 1500 Midget drivetrain cores cost more! You can't get any cheaper drivetrain that that! I diff isn't that much either. Yeah, frame and windshied frame check for sure. I wondered about the new nose too. Thay didn't do it cause it looks better.

Morris, they don't handle all that bad. Yeah, it's not a Spridget...but it's got a V8 and a 4 speed swap wouldn't cost that much.

BTW, you HAVE to put a 4 speed in it!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
kellysguy said:
HealeyRick said:
Depends on what the Vette needs. If the drivetrain is good --- yes. If not - no.

Rick. SBC and TH350, what could be cheaper...SBF and C4? it's a toss up. 1500 Midget drivetrain cores cost more! You can't get any cheaper drivetrain that that! I diff isn't that much either. Yeah, frame and windshied frame check for sure. I wondered about the new nose too. Thay didn't do it cause it looks better.

Morris, they don't handle all that bad. Yeah, it's not a Spridget...but it's got a V8 and a 4 speed swap wouldn't cost that much.

BTW, you HAVE to put a 4 speed in it!

What concerns me most is the seller's statement that it needs "complete restoration" and that he bought it intending to restore but "lost interest" which usually means he found out how much time and money it would take to fix it. I was looking at the swap from the standpoint of getting the Vette and using it as a driver without putting a lot into it. But if the idea is to restore it to original, I think there are better project cars to use as a base,

OP
SilentUnicorn
Wow- close voting.

Definitely need to check for damage after they changed the nose for what ever reason.

My Midget is well sorted- the vette would be like starting all over. Not something i really want to do. If i did swap i would just flip it.

i was very surprised the offer was made. My friend with a 76 vette almost lost his jaw when i showed him the offer.

from the seller " The car does run and can be driven but i would not drive it far, I am not sure how it would do, might be fine, it runs fine so.....let me know what you think"

sounds like he just wants to flip it as well.

Some pics he sent me.

https://s815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/SilentUnicorn/68%20vetter/

m

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
I'd pass!

G

Rick I agree with all but the better car. I've seen junk for 10K.

Realistically he's getting the car for $3500 which shold be a no brainer. I would think something is seriously wrong with it though if he wants to swap.

I'd have to do a REAL GOOD inspection, vingas, title and all. Check the electrical really good too as it may be a flood car. Check the rolled end of the seat belts to see. Rust under dash and seats too.

OP
SilentUnicorn

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I don't think they are swapping even. Corvette is $6,000 and midget is $3,500. so I see the midget plus $2,500 to get the vette.
plus since we are talking vermoint a rusted frame could be big issue.

OP
SilentUnicorn
From the guy with the vette

<span style="color: #FF6666">"well if you change your mind let me know... My wife would love a little midget... I would trade even if interested."</span>

trying to work out something with my friend, who IS interested in the vette.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
SilentUnicorn said:
Wow- close voting.
You mean I have to drive by and see a "TupperWare" car in the yard? (should keep you fresher). As much as I have an affinity for everything British, I married a "BowTie" girl... she says go for it!