• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Potential TR6 Owner

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
Hi All,
I already have a '65 Healey, but now my wife has decided she wants a TR6 as an "every day car" around town. I know that is not really practical, but... I have very little knowledge or experience with thema dn am looking at one for Christmas. Can anyone tell me the major things I need to watch out for? I am keenly aware any English car will have its own oddities, but waht are the real tough ones on the TR6?

Thanks in advance!
Doug

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Its really a nuts and bolts type of car.

Just some of the problem areas to watch out for...

U-Joints
Suspension
Watch out for frame rust
many of the rubber fittings may need to be replaced
some carbs are touchy

overall the Tr6 is a strong running car

good luck!!~

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
Others will add to the list but start by looking out for:

1) rust in the frame where the trailing arms attach. The area is prone to rust and difficult to repair without taking the body off.

2) missing thrust washer in engine - gives lots of end play and can ruin a crank / block. Thrust washer design leaves a bit to be desired and when worn, they can fall out. Check crank end play.

3) clunks in the rear can mean a cracked or broken differential mount - usually on the right side front. Can be welded up without pulling the body but still a pain.

4) all of the typical British things like electricals, carbs, rust in fenders, floors and rockers.

Bryan

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
How much wrenching have you done on your Healey? TR6 should be similar but easier I think, certain parts supply is outstanding.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Doug,

Welcome to the forum. That thread that Green pointed you to is a great source of information.

Main rule to follow:

NEVER rush into the purchase. There are a lot of nice TR6's available at this time and there will be another if you miss one. It's a buyers market with the economy as it is so take your time and check them out.

There are surrogate buyer programs available through the VTR (Vintage Triumph Register) as well as local clubs in most metro areas. Take advantage of the help and experience afforded to you by knowledgeable people who will help you look for the good and avoid the bad.

And come back here often with your questions. We're here to help.

REMEMBER - The only dumb question is the one that is never asked.

V

vagt6

Doug, welcome to the fray! Since you already have a Healey, the TR should fit in nicely to your collection. IMHO, a Brit car collect is not complete without a Triumph! :yesnod:

With TR-6s, RUST is your only real mortal enemy. Especially in the frame, the literal foundation for all the car's main systems. Everything else can be easily repaired or upgraded. But, you've got to have a good frame to work with if the car is to be driven on a daily basis.

Having said this, if I were you I'd find a TR-6 that has undergone a complete restoration at some point in the past, ideally with a new (RATCO, etc.) or thoroughly (professionally) restored frame.

Why? Because your lovely wife will be driving it every day! Don't take chances with a partially or haphazardly restored example: get one that's got a strong frame and suspension. Rusty/weak frames on these cars can lead to all kinds of mayhem, suspension failures (dangerous) and needless extra expense.

Pay the extra $$$$ and get a nicely (totally) restored TR-6. In the end, it's worth the extra bucks. And happily, it probably won't cost you a significant extra amount to find a completely restored one. The cost to completely restore a TR-6 generally exceeds the retail market value of the car. Sadly, a number of the nice TR-6s are sold at a (often significant)financial loss to the owner. <span style="font-style: italic">These</span> are the cars you want to purchase!

Take your time to find the right example. Luckily, the market is flooded with TR-6s right now. I've never seen so many TR-6s in my 30+ years of following this market. Just be patient, get the perfect example for your needs and budget.

Just my tuppence worth, but if my wife is gonna drive a 30+ year old car every day, it's gonna be a safe one.

Good luck, let us know . . .

OP
F

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone! The "wait for a good one" is the best, but hardest one to follow. We went to see a "perfect" original example last wek and within 5 minutes, I had shoved my finger through the frame at the aft suspension mount! Not really perfect after all and the potential for a real money pit.

My wife really has the bug now so I will be needing help soon I am sure. She actually drove my Healey last week for the first time in probably 10 years and loved it so a TR-6 will drive like a Rolls compared to it! Like the Healey side of BCF, this forum is great source of info and everyone is very helpful. Thanks a lot!

Doug

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Doug-

Hook up with the Red River Triumph Club. Might be a good one for sale in that crowd, and if not they certainly can help with opinions.

Randy

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Doug, it does take a while sometimes, depending on where you live to find one worth buying.
When I decided to jump back into sportscars, I had to search within a 750 mile radius. I saw 2 within 500 miles but had to pass on those. I finally found one in Knoxville TN, that after talking to the owner on the phone, thought it was worth the 600 mile trip to take a look at.
After a little price haggling, I rented a U-Haul trailer and brought it home.
There were starter and alternator problems and of course the carbs were way out of whack, but no rust, good paint, fresh interior and a strong engine with 86k miles.
So they are out there, some better than others obviously, but they're out there.

Country flag
I know there is a rust free, almost every part new or as new TR6 in Puerto Rico but as the Mastercard commercial says, it's "priceless"! :smile: