• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Potential Buy: Pros v. Cons of 1980 TR7 injected?

Sunset7

Freshman Member
Hye guys! I have a line on a very clean 1980 TR7 vert, but it is one of the California emissions - injected ones, and I don't know much about them - with the exception of that the injection parts are very rare and very expensive when they go sour.

Anybody got any ideas or caveats when looking at buying one of the TR7's of this particular variety?

Let me know ASAP! I may be buying it in a day or so.

Thanks!

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have one of these, and after reading about all the problems people have with the carbs on theirs, feel that the FI is the way to go. I've had a couple of minor issues with mine, but it is relatively easy to troubleshoot (with a Bentley manual). Parts aren't all that rare...the system is a Bosch Jetronics which were used quite extensively in the 80's. A few parts are rare, i.e. the ECU, Air flow meter, gas tanks, etc. but they rarely have problems. Mine passes Utah/California emission standards with ease. Another plus is if I'm not mistaken, the FI eaked out a few more horses than the dual carbed models. Mileage is pretty good too...city I get about 25 mpg, and highway I get about 30. Bottom line is that when it works, it works great, and there's no real "tinkering" you can or have to do to make it do better.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
The Bosch injection for the '80 TR7 is better than the one for the TR8 for one reason--Bosch made the ECU for the 4-cylinder, but Lucas, Prince of Darkness, designed the 8-cylinder ECU.

Of more concern may be the condition of the head and head gasket, although by 1980, most of the bugs had been worked out. Check the Victoria British TR7/8 catalog for parts availablility and prices--it is much more complete than the one from Moss. And check the Rimmer Brothers Website (www.rimmerbros.co.uk) as well.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

philman

Jedi Knight
My '81 is an FI model. Never had any problems with the FI system. I am in process of converting to a V8 with rover FI though.

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
And check the Rimmer Brothers Website (www.rimmerbros.co.uk) as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Bosch FI models were never morketed outside of the US, Rimmer bros doesn't have any of the parts in their catalog.

philman

Jedi Knight
they share common parts with volvos, bmw's etc (but not the ecu). there is a good book on bosch fuel injections systems from motorbooks.com.

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
... but Lucas, Prince of Darkness, designed the 8-cylinder ECU...

[/ QUOTE ]

HA hahahHA HAH A /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Boy, if I ever get my hands on that Lucas guy...

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Since Bosch FI models were never morketed outside of the US, Rimmer bros doesn't have any of the parts in their catalog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but Rimmer Brothers is a great place for a new or prospective TR7 owner to start looking for other TR7 parts, including some non-U.S. custom/high performance parts, and parts prices.