• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Poll - Upgrades and modifications

bighly

Jedi Knight
What upgrades have you performed?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
still have pos ground,

[/ QUOTE ]

-------Wait until you want to install a modern radio---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
This is interesting. Seems like there is a direct correlation of the cost of such upgrades and them being done. Also the size and complexity of the job. For instance, negative ground conversion is essentially an easy freebie, spin on adapter is about 35$ but requires oil draining, followed by alternator conversion at about 200$ and finally the tranny.

I believe originality is also of concern. I rationalize my upgrades (all the above) with the thought that Donald surly would go with this supoerior technology if it had been available back in the 50s and 60s.

thoughts??

BTW I can add a CB or radio now if I want. I have a spare rear seat squab frame (BT7) that I am envisioning as a removable CD changer/stereo/speaker carrier. wheeeee

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
----- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif,100%. Plus he would have used a V8 ifin he couldah got his hands on one,Often wondered why he didn't pick the Turner V8 one great engine?---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
Donald surly would go with this supoerior technology if it had been available back in the 50s and 60s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative ground wasn't avail. in the 50's and 60's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
The Healeys were built for a relatively low selling price, between MG & Jag. A V8 & everything that goes with it would have raised the price considerably. I built a V8 / BN2 46 years ago. The passenger compartment heat was tremendous, in spite of many attempts to reduce it. Today, there are many good heat control products that were not available then.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep Dave, but the turner hemi V8 was setting right up under his nose and they are not known to be hot running engines and I doubt at that time if cost would have been much of a factor.---Keoke

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Donald surely would go with this superior technology if it had been available back in the 50s and 60s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative ground wasn't avail. in the 50's and 60's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

John,
Not sure why positive ground was used. Perhaps it is like logic 1=off 0=on. Boolean algerbra works just fine as long as you stick to convention. Of course most use 1=on 0=off
Positive ground also works just fine as long as we stick to the convention (chassis=positive). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Donald surly would go with this supoerior technology if it had been available back in the 50s and 60s.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, no negative ground in the 50s?
No roll up windows?
No passenger compartments that didn’t cause people to sweat?
No glove boxes?
No power brakes?
No ignition key switches that activated the starter?
No spin-on oil filters?
No accurate fuel gauges?

I have a 1960 AH 3000 that is near Concours ready and I wouldn’t change a thing.
Other than internal engine modifications for more power, and attempts to insulate the passenger compartment, I have made no modifications. Part of the fun of driving is the experience of marginal handling, marginal brakes, marginal comforts, marginal conveniences, and more power than any car I have ever owned.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why positive ground was used.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a theory that positive ground cars will not rust as fast as negative ground cars. That's why all the rust free British cars you see are positive ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
Ron,

So you have a 1960 AH 3000 that is near Concours ready and wouldn’t change a thing. I felt the same way and even won some prizes. I felt that exact way up until transmissions started costing way way too much, the dynamo was too wimpy to handle an extra set of lights etc etc... So as I put well over 10,000 miles a summer on my Healey I just smile at the concors correct cars and appreciate them for the art they are, and for the enthuasium of their owners. I would love to have one of each and may someday. For now I just feel much more confident on trips like the 5000 miler to Nelson and the after tour with the Smitty and the alternator. Both of which I think Donald would and in my conversations with Jerry approve.