• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Poll: New VTO wheel for MGBs

The is a the new VTO wheel we will be offering for the MGB and Datsuns, it is a modern remake of the American Racing Lemans, made famous by Peter Brock's BRE racing Datsuns. Tell me what you think, I know it's not for everyone, and I welcome that input, but alos interested in hearing from the folks who like it.

Attachments

• 24861.jpg
    24861.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 556

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I have a pic of this style in a 71 brochure mounted on the white group 44 MGB. I will see if I can scan it and post it later today. I like this style wheel alot. I have a original magnesium set of these in 14x6.5? and I have a friend that has a 15x6 that could possably lend it as a pattern. New wheels need depth and not just a pie plate look with a design. An extra pound of weight in the right area will go a long way in the looks of the wheel. Bob

OP
Hap Waldrop
Basil, not yet.

Bob, this is deal that was worked out with Peter Brock, he really wanted to see the American Racing Lemans wheel remade, so it's not in thought mode, it's in the manufacturing mode, they are being made as we speak, they are air mailing a couple of prototypes over here and we will have at the Mitty Vintage races on display, this is already happening. This wheel is the holy grail to the Datsun Z car crowd, so they are the prime market for these wheels, but the 15x6 +24mm is also the MGB fitment, so it now opens up another option for MGB owners.

They are only being made now in 15x6 and 15x7 in the charcoal grey shown above.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Hap, I personally do not see that wheel as being "remade" by the picture. It has no depth to the spokes or the center like the originals. It will probably sell well but not on my car. If the manufacturer could get the spokes and depth closer to the originals the TR6 market would probably go nuts over them also. That wheel in 15x6 was listed in Kastners early comp prep manual for the TR6. To me that would make it also the ultimate wheel for the racer look TR6. Go for a slight redesign and sell the crap out of them. Bob

OP
Hap Waldrop
Bob, it already a done deal, and not my deal, it's Barry and Peters project, they did the design work, and Im the last guy on earth that is going to tell a automotive legend like Peter Brock, he got it wrong :smile: It's just another option for MGBs if people like them.

I'll say this one of the things we had to deal with in these modern remakes like the Retro 4 is people thinking it was not exact copy of the original Libre and it's not a exact copy, it's a modern remake, so slightly different. The Libre for example was unpainted in the center spokes and had a very rough casting, the people who love those wheels of the era loved that look and probably dont like our new Retro 4 as much, but people today want to see wheel with a more "finished" look, so we made what I consider a more finished Libre-like product, kinda like a Libre after a makeover if you will :smile: that plan has worked well, the wheels are selling very steadily, and currently represent 30% of our total sales, which for us is like knocking the ball out of the park, considering people still like the sliver 8 spoke wheel so much. I also had some unique comments on the Retro 4, one being that certain folks didn't like the old Libre design, but like our Retro 4 more for it's more detailed finished look, and I kinda agree with that, I for one, never cared that much for the old Libre, but still backed the decision to make them based on what consumers told me and like the new product.

I think we also dealing with a certain amount of people who covet the original old wheels, and to be honest with you, thats probably never going to be our market, those guys will always go out and find old original wheels and restore them, and thats has very little to do with selling new wheels.

One of the things I tried to do with Barry at VTO is keep in mind my opinion is just one of many, and rely on the voices of the masses rather than the voices of a few, even if it's my voice as well. Like I said before the idea to remake the Retro 4 was mine, but it had little to none to do with my likings, I would have probably went for a Revolution 4 spoke design if it were totally up to me, but I could clearly see people wanted a modern remake of the Libre, and they have sold well, Barry and I both didn't like the Libre, can you imagine how big a leap of faith it was for Barry to write a big fat check to make a wheel he didn't even like, and he still doesn't like the Retro 4 wheel, where I do now, it was a leap of faith for him to say the least. It has laid heavly on my mind, I often think about what if the Retro 4 was a complete flop, Barry would never listened to my advice ever again, I'm very relieved to say that idea has paid off.

At the end of the day, were not going to please everyone, and this wheel will not be everyone's cup of tea, but if some folks like them and buy them, it will be a success,if not, oh well we tried. people are still going to buy the silver Classic 8 the most, we often joke about it, and call it the "vanilla" wheel, the most common choice, but still the most popular look for MG owners, and while we are offering some new products, the warehouse will still always have a plenty of silver Classic 8s for our customers, but I think it's neat that we are offering choices in our wheels for our customers, and thats unique approach, as the rest seems to be focused on a single design, I fiquire having choice is always better than having no choice.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I can see the wheels selling well to people that have just seen a picture and never the real thing. I really like the Superlites because they have depth to the wheel like original wheels made in the UK or the ARE wheels. To me the retro 4 and LeMans remake look like a Chinese copy that would have been made 5-10 years ago when they were just starting to manufacture copys of things. Your pricing is a big draw to the VTO brand. If Panasport wheels were in the same price range I think alot of sales would go away in the MG market.You know I am a big supporter of what you are doing for the British car people but you did ask for opinions~! I really think Peter Brock got it right the first go round. I hope to see you soon. Bob (the guy who probably should have not even posted on this subject...)

OP
Hap Waldrop
bob67bgt said:
I can see the wheels selling well to people that have just seen a picture and never the real thing. I really like the Superlites because they have depth to the wheel like original wheels made in the UK or the ARE wheels. To me the retro 4 and LeMans remake look like a Chinese copy that would have been made 5-10 years ago when they were just starting to manufacture copys of things. Your pricing is a big draw to the VTO brand. If Panasport wheels were in the same price range I think alot of sales would go away in the MG market.You know I am a big supporter of what you are doing for the British car people but you did ask for opinions~! I really think Peter Brock got it right the first go round. I hope to see you soon. Bob (the guy who probably should have not even posted on this subject...)

Bob, I doubt in a world of $400 wheel sets, my pricing is not my alure, my 15x6 are $700 a set. I can only hope with the 600-700 wheels I should sell this year in my part time, that I and VTO are doing something right, and you're not right about our product. In closing we are just a couple of guys alot like you all, we love, and own these cars and with Barry's help made something well beyond our imagination become a reality, bringing the owners of these cars more wheels choices, if that's wrong, I'm ok with being wrong.

Hey, we're good friends, and neither one of us expected this thread to go in this direction in our comments, we're both passionate, and thats what drives us in this hobby. I know you support me, and I do the same of you.

I better go, I got three wheel purschase to process, and fiquire what shipping cost will be to a Sprite racer in Australia that want two set of VTO Retro 4s :smile:

GBlearner

Freshman Member
Personally I don't like this wheel. Never liked the simple star shape, or this style star shape anyway.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Even though I voted yes, I have mixed feelings about the design because even though it's a copy of the originals look, it appears much more delicate and not as beefy. It might give someone a false impression that it's as strong as the original racing design, which, they might be, but they don't look it. I personally would only use them on the street. JMHO. PJ

OP
Hap Waldrop
Paul I can asure you that they have been load tested beyond anything we would ever do with them on the street or track. The original wheel was mag, and that why it was probably beefier looking, mag while is light, it was never known for it's strength. I too had a set of the 14x6.5 for my rain tires on the Huffaker MGB.

FWIW, it a very common practice with wheel companies to take their street wheel and do more lightening machiningg to it to make it lighter for racing and race only wheel does not have to pass DOT testing. Thats exactly what Panasport and Superlite do with their race wheel. Our DOT tested street wheels are light enough that we had no need to separate the street wheels from the race wheels, they are one in the same in our entire line, and all DOT load tested.

Attachments

• 24891.jpg
    24891.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 440

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Didn't know the material difference Hap. Thanks for clearing that up. I do like the looks of the wheel! PJ

saysprite

Freshman Member
I think they would look nice on a Z car

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I prefer these over the Retro 4, the spoke shape is much more appealing to me.

Would these be able to fit on a TR7/8?

OP
Hap Waldrop
No not currently, they are all pre drilled 4 x 4.5" bolt pattern, so they will work on Datsun Zs, and MGB, and we have a 15x7 that is targetrd towards the TR6 as well as the Zs.

On the Spits/GT6, TR7/8 wheels because the bolt pattern is so tight (4 x 3 3/4"), this wheel would have to made with a smaller center bore to drill that small of bolt pattern. We do offer the 15x6 Classic 8 in silver in a small center bore, that we can CNC drill for TR7/8.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hey Gundy,

Did`nt you get the VTO Wheels for Your Wifes MGB? If yes; Why not post a pic or two here for "Basil" & "Others" to see what they look like.

"Hap": As you are aware; I`m something of a "Purist" & Like "Orig" looking cars so; This is a "Very Un-Biased" opinion on the VTO Wheels but "You Asked for Opinions".

I feel the wheels look good from an "Appearance" stand point but from a "Strength" standpoint; They look kind of "Weak" in the "Spoke" area; Meaning, The "Spoke Web Thickness" appears to look "Thin".

I`m just curious; Are these Rims a "One or Two" pcs design?

My $0.02.

Regards, Russ

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Hi Russ,
The wheels are very high quality and a one piece design.
Light weight but strong.
We love them on the B.
I've ordered a set of 14s in the retro 4 for my Bugeye.
The wheel in this poll is a new style. The B sports Hap's classic 8s in 14x5.5s.
Here is the B with the classic 8s. There have been numerous
pics of the style that is on the B on this forum.

Attachments

• 24958.jpg
    24958.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 351
OP
Hap Waldrop
Russ, all the VTO wheels are a one piece design, and all styles have rigerous load testing well beyond what we could ever do with them, thats all part of passing DOT standards.

I'd like to tell a funny story about load testing the Superlite spline drive wheels, they kept failing the load test, but it's not what you think, it wasn't the wheel that was failing the load test, it was the brand new MGB splined hubs, no matter where we bought new splined hubs from, they would fail the load test, in the end the end we had to make a custom solid steel spline hub to get past the DOT load test, because the MG part kept failing.

So in short Russ, you may want to worry more about what you are bolting the wheels to, rather than the wheels themselves :smile: Russ as for your old steelies, you'll know what you got when you get your TR3 on the road, I sell alot of wheels to guys who tried to restore their steelies and can't get rid of the wobbles on their 40-50 year old wheels. Trust me buddy, what I'm selling is way more stable than a old steel wheel. :smile: