• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tasteful Upgrades

Marmoset54

Country flag
I am doing a frame off restoration of a 62 TR3B with mismatched engine. The car is in pieces, however the frame has been well taken care of.

I have purchased superpro bushings for the front and rear suspension. I also believe I have a front anti-sway bar from ADDCO. As I am at the beginning of this project with a near "blank chassis", what do yall recommend for upgrades or just keep as is? I have a 72 TR6 that is being built out to be a little rocket.

Any thoughts? Tasteful upgrades of course. Anything yall wish yall did while it was in this state?

OP
M

Marmoset54

Country flag
I've a TR6 suspension inbound I intend to use. I don't think I can afford the revington adjsutable fulcrum kit yet. Still need to learn more. Also, seeing suggestions for an Jaguar XJ balljoint.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I added tube shocks to the rear of the car. My first TR3 bottomed out all the time in the rear. And Yes, the Armstrong shocks were rebuilt by Apple so I did try the original first. So I bought a kit from Rimmer Brothers that converted to tube shocks for the current TR3. Much better ride.

OP
M

Marmoset54

Country flag
I added tube shocks to the rear of the car. My first TR3 bottomed out all the time in the rear. And Yes, the Armstrong shocks were rebuilt by Apple so I did try the original first. So I bought a kit from Rimmer Brothers that converted to tube shocks for the current TR3. Much better ride.
I am going to assume my rear shocks need to be rebuilt as well. I will remember the shock conversion advice. Was going to do it for the six but heard too many horror stories.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
How about splitting and widening the frame and body by 6 inches. Tub the wells for 12" width of rubber all around, Ford 302 behind a 6 speed overdrive and 9" locker diff. Of course you will need power rack and pinion steering and 4.56 gears. Niiiicccceeee! Triumph version of the Shelby Cobra.

Sorry, I drifted for a minute.

OP
M

Marmoset54

Country flag
How about splitting and widening the frame and body by 6 inches. Tub the wells for 12" width of rubber all around, Ford 302 behind a 6 speed overdrive and 9" locker diff. Of course you will need power rack and pinion steering and 4.56 gears. Niiiicccceeee! Triumph version of the Shelby Cobra.

Sorry, I drifted for a minute.
Actually, my stepfather had to do something similar to his tr3...

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Make sure your disc is NOT oversized. Some AM bits are sorta right. Too big a diameter and it wont
fit up. Other than that it is a matter of shimming like the OE caliper. You will be shocked at the
weight difference, it's crazy!
Then you have a whole universe of different compounds to pick from to fit your driving style. Way cool/
Mad dog

RichB4493

Freshman Member
Country flag
How d ok you assess and determine if the Armstrong lever shocks need a rebuild/replace?

I have. 59 TR3a that feels bouncy. I have topped them off and replaced the bump stop and the shackle bushings and lightly oiled the leaf springs as instructed.

Rich

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
They have only two bolts and a link to the spring. I suggest new bolts(#8) and new links.
What did you use to top up your shocks?? The only thing to use( IMHO) is motorcycle fork oil
In a #20 wt. Drain and re-fill them on the bench. You will then be able to test the action....
Mad dog

RichB4493

Freshman Member
Country flag
They have only two bolts and a link to the spring. I suggest new bolts(#8) and new links.
What did you use to top up your shocks?? The only thing to use( IMHO) is motorcycle fork oil
In a #20 wt. Drain and re-fill them on the bench. You will then be able to test the action....
Mad dog
Yep I used MC 20 fork oil. I didn’t drain them completely or remove them. Maybe a draining and refill will flush any sludge or contaminants in there.

Not thrilled about removing them completely… yet.
Thanks

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The advantage is in the bench test , you get to compare the action of each to make sure one
is not lame. Also it is a good bet the links are "perished" as the manual says .
Mad dog

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My upgrades were more more for reliability and drive ability.
Wizard aluminum rad with electric fan(rarely comes on),40A alternator,high torque starter,poly front end bushings,and the biggest improvement tr3b trans with od and first gear syncro.
Tom

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
All of which do nothing when you are stopped at a light and a 3/4 ton F250 dont see
your LBC, and parks in your boot. Could have been catastrophic as the fuel tank
was compromised...... (see the fist picture in this post)

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22