• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR2 multi poll

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Ok, so assuming I decide to keep trudging on with my project, I have several decisions to make.
My car is a 54. TS5012. short door. for mods it already has 2 rows of louvers in the bonnett, done back in the day. and somewhere along the line it's had the stronger TR3 rear axle fitted. the matching numbers engine block is long gone, but I have the early low port head and 2 bolt SU intake manifold.
First there is the mechanical things.
I have all the parts of the front disc brakes off of a 66 TR4A, and was planning to retrofit them to the 2, tucking all the drum pieces carefully away, but I'm not sure if I really need to use the discs.
Second, I have a complete TR4A engine and tranny, I was planning to use that setup(swapping out the front plate), but I also wondered if I should look for the early 2 bolt carbs, and use the low port head on the TR3 block I also have so it would be closer to original.
I'm no hot rodder. I like to stretch a cars legs, but I'm not a race car driver. SO I'm thinking I could get away without the discs, and the extra power.
And the last, biggest thing.
Paint color. This car was originally Geranium. however much I want to keep things original, I just can't live with that color. It's just nasty. (Yes, I have seen one painted that color)
So it's down to a toss-up between Signal red (like every other one out there) British racing Green (lots of those too) or an Idea I can't get out of my head of using that dark maroonish red that the early Alfas and Ferraris used (solid color, no metallic). I just keep thinking how sweet that would look. With either steel wheels or spokes, painted to match.. Also a medium brown interior.
OOOOOOOh yea.....
So waddya all think would all that be blasphemous? or subtly different.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Banjo
My rule #1...Its your money...and its your car. Let er rip!

While there is something to be said for being original (my 60 TR3A is almost original) I still think you may be at the point where the mods from the TR4 might be a good idea.
We restored a 55 TR2 and changed the rear axel, added the discs to the front and changed to a TR4 tranny. My friend is totally delighted with the changes. Again...his car...his $$!
As far as the color...my choice would be a color from the Triumph color wheel...if not...at least a color that was period correct for British cars. But then again...Rule #1!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
:iagree: As much as it pains me to think another Geranium TR2 won't be seen (yes, I'm serious!), it IS your car. So long as nothing irreversible is done (massive carving of firewall, "tubbing" the body, etc.), you won't severely harm the value of the car.

That said, I really don't think that all-drum brakes are quite so bad as everyone makes them out to be. Yes, discs in front definitely are an improvement, but it's primarily an improvement in resistance to fade during prolonged or quickly repeated uses. Properly adjusted and maintained, the old Lockheed systems really are quite adeuqate.

D

DougF

It's not a matter of being a racer. I'm always aware of the other driver or the surprise deer and any other thing that can be thrown at you while behind the wheel. Better brakes are good.
My TR6 was originally saffron(mustard yellow), but I painted it mallard. Like mentioned by the others, it's your car. An original period color could make a future sale a little easier.
There's a lot to be said about a fully synchro gearbox. If you don't have the original engine, it's not a big deal in my eye if you drop in a 4A engine.
As Andy said, as long as you stick with bolt on changes....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Personally, I'd go with the front discs. I owned a TR3 with drum brakes for awhile and never could get them to work as they should. Seemed like it always pulled one way or the other, and would frequently change which way it pulled from stop to stop. I don't doubt that Andy is right and there was simply something wrong with the car (I didn't put a lot of effort into it), but that's the way I feel about it. I wouldn't want to be like some others in the local club, who can't even take a modest drive on some of our mountain roads without their brakes overheating.

Don't forget that if you install that 4-synchro gearbox, you'll need to either modify the tunnel or find one from a later TR3A. The early tunnels won't clear the starter bulge on the post-50K gearboxes without some massaging. And making the 4A exhaust and carbs fit may require some compromises.

As far as color; if you aren't going with the original color, then why not get what you want? Maroon certainly wouldn't be my choice, but it's your car, it should please you. My TR3A was the "wrong" color for the first 15 years I owned it ... in retrospect I wish I'd stuck a crowbar in my wallet and gotten it repainted sooner! It really did improve my enjoyment of the car. YMMV

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'd leave the low port head and small carbs on it. The TR2 engineis very game and the difference isn't huge That way it would look right.

I would fit front discs. IMO the drums are dangerous, and I say that having both street driven and run a TR2 with drums on the race track. Brakes are a safety issue and the stock drums are well below today's standards.

Thsi car has drums. This driver (me) had developed a permanent pucker as the drums may as well have not been there after one lap at speed.

TR-2.jpg

That is one UGLY color....

m

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I kinda like it'

Then again I'm partial to PINK!

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Here's one outside, anyways.

Attachments

• 15884.jpg
    15884.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 147

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know...that color looks much deeper then the Germaniums I've seen. Well, at least in photos, 'cause I never saw the color in person. Which might be a good thing, as I have a weak stomach!! :laugh:

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There was a beautiful dove grey TR2 (or maybe 3) about a year ago. I have been thinking about painting the herald that color ever since.

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
There's quite a bit of the original geranium still to be seen on this car. It reminds me of tomato soup made with milk. I just can't do it. It's a very 50s color. the English equivilant to the popular American "coral" found on so many domestics of the 50s.
It aint gonna happen.
If I want to stay within the proper color range for this car then my choices are:
1. Signal red
2. British racing Green
3. Black
4. Pearl White
5. Geranium
those were the color options for TRs between TS1201 and TS8636
I'm not dedicated enough to perfect body work or fine detailing to do black, although it does look good. I don't really care for white. It looks nice, I just dont care for it. British racing green is almost as bad as black, but I really like it. Signal red would make it pop, but there are so many signal red TR2 and 3s out there I wanted to do something a bit different. Sideache posted a pic of an early Alfa painted that deep red (Burgandy), with the wire wheels painted to match. It was awesome. Jaguar has a similar deep red too. It was a thought. I've seen a small mouth Tr3 painted that color, and I really liked it.
I dunno. I also think the BRG would be cool. especially with ivory roundels on the front wings, bonnett and boot(LeMans style)hehehehehe

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey Ben;
If you really like the burgundy, then that is your color.
With all the new colors available today, and the ease of painting, original isn't always best.
Now if everything else was completely original, then you might be limited.
It's your car, as you always say, do it the way you like.

Dave :savewave:

P.S. Burgundy would be my choice.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I would agree the world probably doesn't need another red TR.

The greens (both original and other TR colors) offer some very nice choices including the apple green from later years.

No mention of yellow which I have always thought a good-looking color on a small car.

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Banjo-
I hope you keep your car!
I finally got paint on 16951, and am happily putting the parts on.
Go to some car shows. You really need to see an entire car, in daylight to be sure of the color.
I painted my tr3 a darker red, maybe candy apple, inspired by a mga.
It's beautiful, and if the purist' don't like it; tough
Emmett
keep the car

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If it were I, I'd keep the original carbs/head as they really worked well mileage wise and the stats are about the same for speed...plus it's great to see the original set up when comparing cars etc.
The brakes, depends on how they work. I've not driven the TR2 drums but I've had older drums all around on my other 50's sports cars and they stopped as well as my disc TR3 for road work. If they work well I'd retain them too.
Rear end, good upgrade that many TR2's had done in the 50's/60's as that half shaft would break at the inner dif as often as the outside and one had to break everything apart to retrieve broken elements.
Color...I've seen the Geranium and can take it for an interior but not an exterior color.
Was Mrs. Black really colorblind or did she just have abominal taste? Would have enjoyed seeing her houses color scheme. "Oh, love the pink curtains, they go great with the off yellow carpet"!

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I love to see a color that is not like all the rest. My TR6 is Pimento Red (bla bla bla) but it was the original color. If my car was Geranium that's the color it would stay and I'd have the only one like it. Of course dark maroonish is also a very rare color. Good Luck