• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Fuel Cell.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
Here's the latest from the EFI project. I was having issues with the fuel delivery so rather than trying to modify the stock fuel tank, I found myself a new fuel cell. I ended up with the RCI 2172A 17 Gallon Aluminum fuel cell. I got it mounted up and now I just need to complete the fuel lines. Here's some pics.

JACK

Attachments

• 21111.jpg
    21111.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 248

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Is that the tank I am seeing or does it have a rock guard around tank, and how low is tank to the ground?

I need a tank that big (for my Bugeye V-8) If you get a chance can you get another photo to give a better perspective from bottom also do you have a link to where you made purchase.

I was worried that I would need to cut floor and install in trunk compartment to get a tank this big

Looks good, need a decal

The question one might want to ask, is do they really want to carry 17 gallons of fuel in the tail end of a Midget, that quite the load hanging out there beyond the axles. I let a fellow (we won't call any names :smile:) drive my race car one time, he needed to add some ballast, he decided to put about 20 pounds and attach it to the fuel cell mounting structure at the tial end of the car, I told him that was not such a good idea, sure enough it made the car tail happy. If you for whatever reason are going to add weight to car do so between the axles not beyond the axles, for obvious handling issues.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Jack
That also looks a bit close to the muffler, do you have a thermal shield in there?
BillM

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
mightymidget said:
.....I was worried that I would need to cut floor and install in trunk compartment to get a tank this big.....

I think most of us who race Spridgets end up cutting the floor. About 3" of mine is above the trunk floor....it's sort of the best compromise.

Here's the 8 gallon ATL tank in my race-Spridget (ignore the yellow arrow).
I intend to mount the new cell in my A35 similarly.

panhard1.jpg

OP
L

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
Well, I chose this tank, not so much because of the 17 gallon capacity but more because it was the only off-the-shelf cell out there that was only 7 inches deep. Most are 9 to 12 inches deep, even the 1,5,7 and 10 gallon tanks. The stock Midget tank is about 6.25-6.5 inches deep so this one really isn't presenting any more of its bum to the ground. I only had to cut the floor of the trunk where the new fill neck and lines come through. I think the stock tank measure about 26 x 14 x 6.25 and this one is 30 x 17 x 7. In fact, the stocker is almost 27.5 x 16 with the flange. I picked this cell up from Summit racing and again, the determining factor was the depth.

I had to cut all the old mounting studs of and grind flush, then I welded on a pair of hinges with the steel straps so the whole tank swings down on hinges when you undo the two bolts. I still need to get some rubber isolators in there and yes, the muffler is pretty close to the tank so I'll need to get some sort of heat barrier there as well.

For the muffler, I just took the stock two muffler unit and the bottom was rusted out of the transverse muffler anyways so I just cut it off and flipped the other muffler/resonator so the bend points out under the rear quarter. I had to loosen all the mounts and push it over as close as possible to the leaf spring without interference.

It's all shoe-horned in there pretty tight but nothing should be rubbing or dragging! :driving:

JACK

OP
L

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
This shot is great because you see how it really doesn't hang down any more than the old tank or mufflers. I pushed it as far forward towards the axle as possible so it's not hangin a big bum out back. And finally, this shot actually shows the lime color of the wheels a bit better! :laugh:

JACK

Attachments

• 21117.jpg
    21117.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 187
OP
L

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
And here's the 3/4 shot.

Attachments

• 21118.jpg
    21118.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 190

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lets see now, 17X35 is 595 miles. So about 500 miles between fill ups. Quite a bit of range there.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
aeronca65t said:
mightymidget said:
.....I was worried that I would need to cut floor and install in trunk compartment to get a tank this big.....

I think most of us who race Spridgets end up cutting the floor. About 3" of mine is above the trunk floor....it's sort of the best compromise.

Here's the 8 gallon ATL tank in my race-Spridget (ignore the yellow arrow).
I intend to mount the new cell in my A35 similarly.

panhard1.jpg

Thanks for the photos, When you mounted your tank through a opening in the trunk floor did you isolate trunk compartment with sheet metal

OP
L

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
I didn't mount my tank through an opening in the trunk floor. I mounted my tank from the bottom so I didn't cut the a large amount of the trunk sheet metal. Just where the filler pipe and fittings come through.

JACK

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Jack:

I think he was asking me....and yes, I did.

I added a thick sheet aluminimum bulkhead between the cockpit and the trunk. I also bolted extruded aluminum channel stock around the cell to protect it and to strengthen the trunk area (it's got event and tech-stickers on it).

You can sort of see the buckhead in the first of these pictures. Second shot is the trunk and third is the lower, left-rear view.

lizard2.jpg

fuel-cell.jpg

panhard2.jpg