• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel Cell gas tanks

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
Is there anyone out there using a fuel cell gas tank in their TR6? I'm considering one that will fit more or less where the spare tire cavity is, (though i cant find one that's a 'flush fit' for a factory unit, and a custom 27x25.5x6.5 ish or so tank (rough measurements!) would probably be far too costly) While it would be awesome to have one that just took up the tire cavity and didnt stick up any, that's probably out of the price range that I'd want to spend =)

The reason I'm even looking at these is primarily for being able to fit more fuel. Just the spare wheel well would dimensions would provide 15 gallons of space compared with the 11 that I have from my stock tank, but if I go with something that would sit down in the back of the wheel well and stand proud, I could actually get a very large capacity stock fuel cell tank, with sender unit for relatively inexpensive. A 26x18x15 22 gallon fuel cell that would mount nicely sitting in the back of the spare wheel well, with sender unit, can be had for 250$ That's half the cost of a new 11 gallon stock tank in alloy from VB.

My current tank is in sorry shape, as it is, and at a minimum would need boiling out, sealing, and pressure testing, but I've always been unhappy with the tank capacity / vehicle range due to tank capacity. Using the stock location it looks like I'd possibly be able to get close to 20 gallons (like Dan Master's custom tank) but would spend a fortune getting a custom tank made, where it would be far less for a fuel cell instead.

Any of you vintage racers out there got fuel cell advice for me? I'm leaning heavily towards using one.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Justin, don't really think the size of the tank is that important.
You could probably only travel 200+ miles at a time before the buzing and the vibrations and noise got to you anyway.
Use your Wedge for traveling

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Good idea to ask the vintage racing folks what they think - seems that a lot of them will start to "sweat" fuel as they age which makes the car smell like, well, fuel.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
There are spare tire well fuel cells and tanks available. From memory, they are about 26 inches in diameter. There are huge differences in fuel cells. Everything from glorified plastic gas jugs all the way up to aluminum cells with kevlar fuel bags inside of them. For your application, something on the lower end will suffice. Look in Summits website for one with a fuel sender. Also do a nation wide search of Craigslist for "fuel cell". You might find a better quality take out from a race car for cheap. Like seat belts and fire bottles, they have a date and are only certified for a certain number of years. If you decide to chop out the well and install a square one, come on by and we can fab up a new square holder.

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
Aye, I dont need anything special, since I'm essentially just looking at a new fuel tank, not a true 'fuel cell' RCI makes some very nice aluminum cells for very inexpensive. I didn't even think of checking out craigslist.

The nice thing about the TR6 wheel well is that it's already square, so not a lot of chopping needed, more or less just need to drill a few holes for mounting brackets and that'd be it.

The reality is, I'd only really need around a 15 gallon tank to be much happier with the range and capacity. A lot of the longer day trips that I take are around 250ish miles round trip and a 15 gallon tank should give around 280 to 300 mile range depending on how much highway there is, so I could fill up in the morning, and not worry until I get back home. With the 11 gallon tank I cant even go 200 miles without stopping for gas around the 175 mark. (i've been averaging around 18 mpg with the 6, though that may change once it's all back together)

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Justin,

That mpg sounds really low to me but I only have my TR4A to judge by. I did not think that a TR6 was that different. Hopefully someone with a TR6 will respond with their fuel economy.

Scott

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
Let me tell you, early miata seats make a HUGE difference when cruising around. 200+ miles in a day is really easy to reach, I mean... from my house in rhode island to the berkshire mnts or the NH mountains is 120 to 150 miles away

LBCs_since_1988

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
HerronScott said:
That mpg sounds really low to me but I only have my TR4A to judge by. I did not think that a TR6 was that different. Hopefully someone with a TR6 will respond with their fuel economy.

IMHO 6-cylinders have always been gas-guzzlers even when compared to V8s! (CC:MPG). I used to get low 20s at best in my TR6s, but 25+ in my TR4A.

swift6

Yoda
My tri-carbed TR6 engine with a big cam and compression was averaging 18mpg with very large FPG numbers and lots of tach swings past 5,000rpm. A stock engine should get mid 20's if cruising and settings are right. My TR8 gets low 20's with my daily driving. High 20's with longer distance cruising.